Free Chubby...A Short Story

summerski
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr & Sr
Coal Size/Type: Nut / Stove - Blaschak

Post by summerski » Sun. Apr. 24, 2016 9:10 am

So I called a guy who had a Chubby and needed it out of his basement. We came to terms and I was set to pick it up the next day. He called at 6:50am just before my departure and told me he broke the grate last night trying to free it up but if I still wanted it he'd give it to me, as he felt bad. Without hesitation I was on the road. Arrived in a beautiful small town in MA only a stones throw away from where the stove was built. Turns out the owner of the stove went to school with Larry and purchased it new in the early 80's. His house at the time had a basement chock full of coal and instead of shoveling it out, he decided to burn it out. ;)

Anyway, we loaded her up and I was back home just after noon. She was dirty, in poor condition and I wasn't sure she'd shine again.
Straight away I took a scotch-bright pad and immediately the nasty white over-fired residue came off and her true colors, battleship grey, started to shine. I was amazed. As the grate was bent and frozen in place, I turned her upside down and took a piece of firewood and hit it until it fell through. It came out in 3 pieces.

So I immediately went to the "Replacement Parts" page and found a new grate but realized I had the #2 Shaker Pot style. I then asked ONEDOLLAR if there is much difference between the old #2 and the new #3 Center-Pin pots....he said it was "night and day" and to call Larry if I had any questions.

So I called Larry to get his opinion. He confirmed the difference and I ordered the #3 center-pin pot.

Talk about customer service, Larry not only gave me numerous tips on how to recondition the old girl but the new pot arrived 2 days later. I was blown away.

Thanks Chubby Stove Company!!!!!

As fathers day approaches, I have my eye on an ash catcher and possibly a new see-through door. ;)

Will
(Chubby Customer for Life)

A few pics from the project.....

Attachments

oldchub.jpg

Before

.JPG | 281.9KB | oldchub.jpg
IMG_3299.JPG

Nakid Chubby

.JPG | 152.4KB | IMG_3299.JPG
IMG_3311.JPG

Restored Chubby

.JPG | 122.3KB | IMG_3311.JPG
IMG_3303.JPG

Final Resting Place

.JPG | 130.9KB | IMG_3303.JPG

Logs
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby
Coal Size/Type: Nut anthracite
Other Heating: Fireplace and wood burner

Post by Logs » Sun. Apr. 24, 2016 9:30 am

Good job, it looks like a new one :) you are going to love it. You gotta love a Chubby!

Dave

Hambden Bob
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Harman 1998 Magnum Stoker
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Blower Model Coal Chubby 1982-Serial#0097
Coal Size/Type: Rice-A-Roni ! / Nut
Other Heating: Pro-Pain Forced Air

Post by Hambden Bob » Sun. Apr. 24, 2016 8:19 pm

Now that's one heck of a Chubby Story ! Those little R2D2's have 9 Lives ! :dancing:

ONEDOLLAR
Verified Business Rep.
Hand Fed Coal Stove: 2014 Chubby Prototype
Coal Size/Type: Nut/Anthracite

Post by ONEDOLLAR » Mon. Apr. 25, 2016 10:34 am

Will

Congrats on the Chubby!!! I love your install and am looking forward to your reports on how "she" does next fall. Or if your temps are like the ones we are having I would say.."FIRE HER UP" for a test run!!! The updated pot and grate makes a world of difference when shaking.

As always if we can ever be of any help feel free to contact ether Larry or myself. We are more than happy to help in any way we can.

CONGRATS AGAIN!!!!!

D-frost
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman MK ll
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Yukon Eagle I (multi-fuel oil, wood/coal)
Baseburners & Antiques: Herald 'fireside oak'
Coal Size/Type: nut/stove-Blaschak/Lehigh

Post by D-frost » Mon. Apr. 25, 2016 2:38 pm

We love short stories, with a happy ending.......and, with pics , oh yes, "Ya gotta love a Chubby"!!!!!
Cheers

summerski
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr & Sr
Coal Size/Type: Nut / Stove - Blaschak

Post by summerski » Tue. May. 17, 2016 10:45 am

Well with the temps in the upper 30's, I decided to fire her up for the first time. As I have a rather large pile of coal in my yard from many years gone by, I had the kid bring in a bucket. Started a hard-wood fire and it was on. Blue smoke quickly filled the room and burned off in no time. Just glad the wife was out at the time. The stove burned flawlessly for 36 hours. With high-winds, the barometric damper worked great and the draft was spot on. The new pot and grate with the center-pin worked insanely smooth at shakedown. Kids complained it was too hot upstairs. Next winter is going to be the warmest winter ever in our 200+ year old salt box. Check ebay this fall for a large listing of quilts. :lol:

As I'm hoping to get an ash-catcher for fathers day, can I install it (drill the 2 holes) without moving it??

Thanks,

Will

Attachments

IMG_3428.PNG

Vintage Coal

.PNG | 980KB | IMG_3428.PNG
IMG_3419.JPG

Baro

.JPG | 143.7KB | IMG_3419.JPG
IMG_3425.PNG

Free Screen Saver

.PNG | 1.3MB | IMG_3425.PNG
IMG_3418.JPG

New Install

.JPG | 103.8KB | IMG_3418.JPG
Last edited by summerski on Tue. May. 17, 2016 7:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ONEDOLLAR
Verified Business Rep.
Hand Fed Coal Stove: 2014 Chubby Prototype
Coal Size/Type: Nut/Anthracite

Post by ONEDOLLAR » Tue. May. 17, 2016 4:56 pm

summerski wrote:As I'm hoping to get an ash-catcher for fathers day, can I install it (drill the 2 holes) without moving it??
Maybe with a right angle drill.. if not the stove should be tilted back and drilled with a 5/16 drill. Install with two ¼ x 20 x 1 ½ carriage bolts. :D

Hambden Bob
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Harman 1998 Magnum Stoker
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Blower Model Coal Chubby 1982-Serial#0097
Coal Size/Type: Rice-A-Roni ! / Nut
Other Heating: Pro-Pain Forced Air

Post by Hambden Bob » Tue. May. 17, 2016 7:01 pm

Just another Victim of Anthracite,reduced to telling the Truth regarding Coal Chubby's,and the Customer Service that comes with them !

Disgusting,actually ! The sheer nerve of You,causing the kids to be warm ! What kind of Father are You ? :woot: :up:

In all seriousness,Will,Thank You ! The Chubbyhood just keeps growing ! :dancing:

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”