Help Me Design My Heating System

jrv8984
Other Heating: Blaze King Princess

Post by jrv8984 » Thu. May. 19, 2016 6:19 am

Is there any reason I can't run pex in an insulated box through my garage and then transitioning under ground?

Pacowy
Stoker Coal Boiler: H.B. Smith 350 Mills boiler/EFM 85R stoker
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat/anthracite

Post by Pacowy » Thu. May. 19, 2016 8:33 am

jrv8984 wrote:Yea I considered adding a boiler room to the addition, but it's just not going to happen. It's going where it's going because it's gonna be the least intrusive, the massive coal storage I am dreaming of can be hidden behind the garage. Building a 2nd story/ extension onto the garage for hay storage, location of septic system, etc, etc.
In the set-up I saw, bulk storage was in a garage, separate from the house. Boiler room took up very little space in house addition, and included a feed bin refilled periodically with a loader.

Mike

lzaharis
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker KAA-4-1 dual fuel boiler
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: former switzer CWW100-sold
Coal Size/Type: rice
Other Heating: kerosene for dual fuel Keystoker/unused

Post by lzaharis » Thu. May. 19, 2016 10:11 am

jrv8984 wrote:Is there any reason I can't run pex in an insulated box through my garage and then transitioning under ground?
====================================================================================

Why do that when you can purchase the Logostor Pex?

If as you say your discharge line to your septic tank or drainage field crosses the driveway
you wont be able to have TT loads of bulk anthracite delivered without risking the collapse
of the piping or failure of the leach lines and or the distribution box.

How far away is the nearest road and a road drainage ditch from this home? It seems that is really
the only option you have after your explaining where everything is.

We ran an electric sump sump pump to help drain the water off our very large property and it worked very well using a timer that would let it run at the night rate if needed and it it could also be run manually by simply flipping the timer switch from automatic to manual operation.

Your drainage problem is not unique. It can be solved using 1 inch black poly pipe. A good vertical sump pump with an above the water electric motor with a float ball on a rail and a check valve in the discharge line to keep the water from draining back is all you need.

A walk behind trencher can solve this for you easily if you start at the road ditch and make sure you have a 10 foot section of perforated drain pipe for the last ten feet with slotted end cap on the ditch side-make sure the last 8-9 feet of PVC is in the perforated pipe to protect the end of it.

We did this as we had to run our tubing a considerable distance with no slope to the drainage pipe that surrounded the additions foundation at my parents home.

As long as you bury the black PVC pipe below the frost line and have a check valve installed on the discharge line away from the sump pump you will have dry ground.

You can buy very long length rolls of black poly (500Ft. plus) and save a lot of money per foot when buying it in bulk by 500+ foot rolls. Buying simple bronze swing check valves are all you need with two barbed fittings and good worm gear clamps to connect the black poly pipe.

Short of having a dedicated whole house generator to provide power and run the drainage pump I do not see many options for you if you intend on turning this place into a working farm of some sort.

If the local health department inspector was doing his or her job the "Percolation Test" would have indicated the septic system "had" to go where it is now. Depending on its age it may be shot already, mine went bad after less than 15 years because of my ass hat neighbors property flooding mine.

I am not trying to spend your money, I am only explaining what worked for us.

jrv8984
Other Heating: Blaze King Princess

Post by jrv8984 » Fri. Jun. 03, 2016 7:18 am

Talked to logstor, $18 a foot for their insulated pex. That's going to be upwards of $3000.

New idea, pull pex AL pex individually through polyethylene coil pipe, so I'll have 4 individual pipes with pex pulled through them. Closed cell spray foamed in place. Spray foaming them in a trench is well documented on hearth.com, they have had excellent results. Pulling the pex through individual pipes will allow me to insulate around each of them. Heat loss should be kept to a minimum.

lzaharis
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker KAA-4-1 dual fuel boiler
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: former switzer CWW100-sold
Coal Size/Type: rice
Other Heating: kerosene for dual fuel Keystoker/unused

Post by lzaharis » Wed. Jun. 08, 2016 4:07 pm

jrv8984 wrote:Talked to logstor, $18 a foot for their insulated pex. That's going to be upwards of $3000.

New idea, pull pex AL pex individually through polyethylene coil pipe, so I'll have 4 individual pipes with pex pulled through them. Closed cell spray foamed in place. Spray foaming them in a trench is well documented on hearth.com, they have had excellent results. Pulling the pex through individual pipes will allow me to insulate around each of them. Heat loss should be kept to a minimum.
========================================================================================

UM; just remember their surface geology and your surface geology are different so keep that in mind.
the heat loss will migrate through the poly unless you seal the ends.
Plan on bedding and covering it with "bank gravel" mason or concrete sand and be
sure to have one piece poly pipe lengths for all four runs as water will get in there otherwise.

One sharp rock from the back filling of the trench is all it takes and you wont know anything is wrong until you have no water in the boiler.

I think you are going to look at near the same money with the new idea.

Return to “Coal Bins, Chimneys, CO Detectors & Thermostats”