Windows 10 Is Automatically Being Downloaded

franco b
Site Moderator
Hand Fed Coal Stove: V ermont Castings 2310, Franco Belge 262
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Modern Oak 114
Coal Size/Type: nut and pea

Post by franco b » Thu. Sep. 17, 2015 4:07 pm

Lightning wrote:I'M downloading Window 10 right now..
I currently use Windows 7 Pro.

Whats the general consensus about Windows 10?
You guys like it??
I think you will like it. Things are a bit different, but not so radical as Windows 8, so feels familiar and quickly learned. Some nice touches as well. There is also Cortana whom if you wish will call you sexy. Somebody to appreciate your worth even if only a machine.

Microsoft makes you join and sign in to MSN to use the computer which is a pain in the ass to do. I don't mind the joining since I already use hotmail, but the signing in part every time. You can get rid of that, but so far I am afraid to screw up and be locked out of the computer. On the plus side if you click the news tablet you get news without a bunch of crazy flashing ads making the page jump all over as they load.

I agree about not changing OS if you are happy with it. My 6 year old desktop came with free upgrade to windows 7 from Vista which I never bothered with since Vista ran OK with me. After at least one service pack and about one hundred updates it still runs OK.

I bought a laptop cheap because 10 was coming out and it had 8.1 on it. One try with 8.1 and I downloaded 10. There have been a few updates in the month I have had it and it now runs fine and I like it after getting rid of a lot of the crap preloaded.

Lightning
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Modified AA 130
Coal Size/Type: Pea Size - Anthracite

Post by Lightning » Thu. Sep. 17, 2015 6:29 pm

Thank you for your review Franco b, much appreciated! I think I'll give it a try here when it's convenient to make the transition. :D

Doby
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Alaska Kast console and Alaska Channing III
Coal Size/Type: Rice
Other Heating: oil but not much

Post by Doby » Thu. Sep. 17, 2015 8:21 pm

You guys like it??
I simply would not because if your computer was designed to run 7 it most likely will run best and you just don't have alot to gain, I mentioned this before and I don't mean update! every windows computer needs atleast the critical updates. I am only talking about upgrading the operating system to the next generation of windows.

Windows 10 is a fine OS but when you download it and install on a existing system you are over writing on top of the current OS, never the best, plus if everything is not just right it may not turn out so well.

I have repaired some buggerd up computers because of this free windows 10 and although I don't know there condition at the time of the upgrade they all required a clean install of the original OS

gaw
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker KA-6
Coal Size/Type: Rice from Schuylkill County

Post by gaw » Mon. May. 23, 2016 10:27 am

I came home last night and moved the mouse to wake up my computer and it says welcome to Windows 10 :wtf: I have a Windows 7 that was on this computer from the day I got it and it works flawlessly so why would I want to fix what ain’t broken? I have been rejecting all prompts to upgrade and now it was installed by itself.

The question is “is this possible?” I immediately suspected and accused the wife of clicking things she was not supposed to. She denies any wrong doing (no surprise) Will Windows 10 self-install without any input from the user like the wife or maybe a cat stepping on the mouse under just the correct conditions?

When it asked me to accept the user agreement I declined and then was directed to a screen to revert to my Windows 7. This took about 5 minutes and a series of reboots so 10 was definitely installed had I accepted it.

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Mon. May. 23, 2016 11:04 am

I could be wrong but I never put my commuter to sleep, I turn it off. Every time I go on I get a request to do Windows 10 & just "X" out of it. Been doin it for a month or so. I also have Windows 7??????????????????

rberq
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine 1300 with hopper
Coal Size/Type: Blaschak Anthracite Nut
Other Heating: Oil hot water radiators (fuel oil); propane

Post by rberq » Mon. May. 23, 2016 11:16 am

gaw wrote:I immediately suspected and accused the wife of clicking things she was not supposed to. She denies any wrong doing (no surprise).
:lol: I know how you feel. When my wife says, "This is acting strange, come see if you can fix it," the first thing I say is, "Don't type or click anything before I get there, or I won't even look." Otherwise by the time I look there is nothing left to see.

It's good to know you can revert to W7 by declining the user agreement.

I have Windows 7 set to load updates automatically, but not apply until I say so. Yesterday I noticed the item below -- don't know what it is but I'm wondering if it is another name for Windows 10. I don't dare click on it. :cry:
windows.jpg
.JPG | 136.7KB | windows.jpg

rberq
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine 1300 with hopper
Coal Size/Type: Blaschak Anthracite Nut
Other Heating: Oil hot water radiators (fuel oil); propane

Post by rberq » Mon. May. 23, 2016 11:24 am

freetown fred wrote:I could be wrong but I never put my commuter to sleep, I turn it off.
Try Hibernating instead of powering off. Windows saves the current status of the system and uses it next time instead of booting from scratch. It still turns off the power (takes a minute or two), but tends to start up quicker the next time you want to see what The Donald is up to, or access the Wisdom of NEPA. :|

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Mon. May. 23, 2016 12:05 pm

From what I'm readin, it also unwantingly downloads Windows 10--never been in that much of a hurry--the Donald will wait for me! :clap: toothy

Richard S.
Mayor
Stoker Coal Boiler: Van Wert VA1200
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat/Anthracite

Post by Richard S. » Mon. May. 23, 2016 12:12 pm

You guys like it??
Windows 10 is not going to be much different than using 7. Programs are now "apps", the start menu will be familiar with some added features that are improvements IMO.

Richard S.
Mayor
Stoker Coal Boiler: Van Wert VA1200
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat/Anthracite

Post by Richard S. » Mon. May. 23, 2016 12:16 pm

Doby wrote:
Windows 10 is a fine OS but when you download it and install on a existing system you are over writing on top of the current OS, never the best, plus if everything is not just right it may not turn out so well.
You can do a clean install of Win 10 however you'll need to transfer personal files, settings, etc. The biggest issue here may be the correct drivers , check the manufacturers web site for them. Win 10 will be able to install most of them but you might end up with generic driver or no driver at all for some stuff.

Clean Install of Windows 10

tcalo
Baseburners & Antiques: Crawford 40
Coal Size/Type: Nut/stove anthracite

Post by tcalo » Mon. May. 23, 2016 3:47 pm

gaw wrote:I immediately suspected and accused the wife of clicking things she was not supposed to
I've been getting the popups asking to upgrade to windows 10 for a while now, I kept closing the popup. My wife was using the laptop the other day and said it rebooted and started installing windows 10 on it's own. Haha, I did just that...accused the wife! I was thinking of windows 8 (which is horrible) so I reached out to a computer savvy friend asking for advice. He sent me an article explaining how to revert back to windows 7 after the update. I realized windows 10 wasn't so bad after it was installed, but I prefer windows 7. Under the settings tab there is an option to revert back to windows 7/8. Took just a few minutes and didn't disturb any of my files.

http://www.howtogeek.com/220723/how-to-uninstall-windows-10-and-downgrade-to-windows-7-or-8.1/

CapeCoaler
Stoker Coal Boiler: want AA130
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine BS#4, Harman MKII, Hitzer 503,...
Coal Size/Type: Pea/Nut/Stove

Post by CapeCoaler » Tue. May. 31, 2016 11:07 pm

http://ultimateoutsider.com/downloads/
lets you control the win 10 upgrade...

SWPaDon
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Clayton 1600M
Coal Size/Type: Bituminous
Other Heating: Oil furnace

Post by SWPaDon » Fri. Jul. 29, 2016 2:17 am

I figured I would update this to correct it. I'm 10 hours away from the deadline, and Windows 10 has not automatically downloaded on my machine. I am set to download critical updates automatically, other updates (where the auto download is) must ask my permission before downloading.

Return to “Technology”