Coffee 5-28-16

SMITTY
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520 Highboy
Coal Size/Type: Rice / Blaschak anthracite
Other Heating: Oil fired Burnham boiler

Post by SMITTY » Mon. May. 30, 2016 11:28 am

A big THANK YOU to all that serve, or have served. All gave some, some gave all. God Bless EVERY ONE OF YOU. :cheers:

Thanks for the kind words Greg - I saw your last Coffee post, though I didn't respond to it. Took me a good week before I could make it through a day without crying. Still breaks my heart every time I think of it, and no matter what anyone tells me, I'm still beating myself up over his passing. I should've stopped the meds .... I shouldn't have gone to the vet ..... In the end, I'll never really know which decision was the "right" one. Damned if I do, damned if I don't. There's no going back either way. :( I have been focusing on all the times he was by my side, instead of that last morning of his life. Definitely makes it easier to get through all of this.

Wife & I did a little landscaping on his grave last weekend. She planted some petunias around the rock I placed directly above where he lies. I threw grass seed all over the area. It's just starting to grow now. I figure the headstone we ordered should be here in the next 2-3 weeks or so. We're going to make something for the stone to lean against (going to leave the stone at 45°), directly behind the rock with the flowers. My dad swung by last week with a ceramic cat sculpture as a tribute to Buddy. There was nowhere on the grave site I could put it, due to it's position of looking down ... so I found a perfect spot for it on the porch roof, looking at the birdhouse and feeders. Perfect. :)

Rev - nice job brutha! I wouldn't be caught dead on a slope that high, and I'm about 20 years younger. Roofing ain't no fun, that's for sure. For that porch, I highly recommend rubber or TPO - rubber is easier for us non-professionals to get, plus it's got a longer track-record, so that would be the way to go there. That rolled roofing is good maybe 8 years, if your in the shade. What's done is done, so I'm sure you have no plans to get back up there anytime soon! I totally understand!

Alright folks - enjoy the day, and never forget why we celebrate it. ;)

Attachments

IMG_5812.JPG
.JPG | 312.7KB | IMG_5812.JPG
IMG_5813.JPG
.JPG | 80.4KB | IMG_5813.JPG

lowfog01
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Mark II & Mark I
Coal Size/Type: nut/pea

Post by lowfog01 » Mon. May. 30, 2016 4:12 pm

Hi everyone,

DK and I are looking to get Recumbent Trikes and do some exploring along the many bike trails in the state. Does anyone have experience with recumbent bikes or even better trikes? They cost a pretty penny so we want to be sure before laying down that kind of cash. You don't see a lot of them on the bike paths.

The new queens finally arrived and are safely in the hives. It's been a weird, wet spring but all three hives are healthy at this point in time. Hopefully, it's not too late to have a decent harvest come late summer.

Not much else going on around here. Only 17 days left in the school year - but who's counting. I hope everyone had a great Memorial Day. Take care, Lisa

franco b
Site Moderator
Hand Fed Coal Stove: V ermont Castings 2310, Franco Belge 262
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Modern Oak 114
Coal Size/Type: nut and pea

Post by franco b » Mon. May. 30, 2016 6:14 pm

Recumbent bikes are not as good going up a steep hill because you can't stand and pedal. Far better, even superior on the flat. I doubt you need a trike because you are close to the ground and can put your feet down easily if need be, especially with the longer wheelbase models. a dealer should let you try different models in his parking lot.

lowfog01
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Mark II & Mark I
Coal Size/Type: nut/pea

Post by lowfog01 » Mon. May. 30, 2016 7:23 pm

Thanks for the reply. We were at the dealer yesterday and tried out several brands. The idea of a trike is all new to us but with our backs and knee problems they seem to be the best fit. The stability of a trike is another factor. We aren't young chickens anymore and don't want to have any falls.

DK is looking for a "tadpole." Those have the third wheel in the back. I'm looking at a "delta." Those have the third wheel in the front. I find the tadpoles a little disconcerting. The pedals just sort of hang out there.

We thought the same thing about the hills but the models we were looking at have 27 gears and we don't plan to do major hills for quite a while if ever. According to the clerk the more horizontal seating allows greater driving force with the legs. I'm not so sure about that but we'll test it out before we buy anything.

Again, thanks for the input. Take care, Lisa

SWPaDon
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Clayton 1600M
Coal Size/Type: Bituminous
Other Heating: Oil furnace

Post by SWPaDon » Mon. May. 30, 2016 8:42 pm

Lisa, here is a little info I found about the differences between the two types:

http://www.bicycleman.com/recumbents/trikes/recumbent-trikes.htm

Hambden Bob
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Harman 1998 Magnum Stoker
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Blower Model Coal Chubby 1982-Serial#0097
Coal Size/Type: Rice-A-Roni ! / Nut
Other Heating: Pro-Pain Forced Air

Post by Hambden Bob » Tue. May. 31, 2016 6:13 am

Good Tuesday Morning,Gang ! All's well,and I've got a Bunch of Combat Vets who never made it Home to Thank for that !

Plain,Simple and Non-Negotiable ! :yes:

McGiever
Stoker Coal Boiler: AXEMAN-ANDERSON 130 "1959"
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: BUCKET A DAY water heater
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning 414A
Coal Size/Type: PEA,NUT,STOVE /ANTHRACITE
Other Heating: Ground Source Heat Pump and some Solar

Post by McGiever » Tue. May. 31, 2016 7:45 am

Locally we have a trike builder/seller, Catrike.
Been in busness here for a long time.

I have so far no experience with them, but they appear to have a folding trke models which should make transport more feasible.
Their website is http://www.lisbonrailtotrail.com/ [Lisbon Rail to Trail]

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Tue. May. 31, 2016 8:08 am

Commuter's been down for 3 days--big terminal box at 4 corners took a lightening hit--all of Freetown ( 450 residences)-- DOWN It was a good week-end. Went down to local cemetery & did my walk about in the Vets Area.

blrman07

Post by blrman07 » Tue. May. 31, 2016 8:45 pm

I told everyone at the church that when I turn 65 I was retiring as pastor of the church and tend a garden.

I am going with what works. The two very succesful things last year were potato's and green beans. So I went with my strengths. Tomato plants just didn't do well...must be too much shade or the soil is too acidy. Going to the plant nursery tomorrow to get peat moss, composted manure and some vermiculite to make filler for my potato plants and extra just for grins and giggles for the garden plot.

I saw something on FB about getting tomato seedlings from tomato slices!!! Watched some YouTube video's and that is the way to grow tomato's! One small slice can give you a dozen plants!!!

I'm going to make some uber easy to build garden fencing using chicken wire, zip ties and PVC pipe. YouTube has become my goto place. I told everybody when I retired as Pastor of New Beginning Church I was going to get into my gardening. Well I'm getting a jump on July 1st.

Next comes fishing. It's been close to 30-35 years since I went fishing last. Time to renew my acquaintance with water and fishies.

freetown fred

Post by freetown fred » Wed. Jun. 01, 2016 3:30 pm

Just got done cleanin stove & pipe--found some lube spray at $ General for $2.00 a can--smells like WD 40--soaked the inside of the stove like every year. All pipe looks outstanding!! :) Come onnnn next burnin season!! :clap: toothy

coalnewbie
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: LL AnthraKing 180K, Pocono110K,KStokr 90K, DVC
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Invader 2
Baseburners & Antiques: Wings Best, Glenwood #8(x2) Herald 116x
Coal Size/Type: Rice,
Other Heating: Heating Oil CH, Toyotomi OM 22

Post by coalnewbie » Fri. Jun. 03, 2016 4:17 pm

When I was 65 I told everybody I was retiring. When I reached 70 I told everyone I was for sure retiring ... when I reach 75 it is absolutely for definite I am going to retire....

freetown fred

Post by freetown fred » Fri. Jun. 03, 2016 5:46 pm

:clap: toothy Indeed Simon!

coalnewbie
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: LL AnthraKing 180K, Pocono110K,KStokr 90K, DVC
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Invader 2
Baseburners & Antiques: Wings Best, Glenwood #8(x2) Herald 116x
Coal Size/Type: Rice,
Other Heating: Heating Oil CH, Toyotomi OM 22

Post by coalnewbie » Fri. Jun. 03, 2016 6:01 pm

:clap: toothy Indeed Simon!
and when we are placed in a pine box and the nail hammering starts we will yell, you gotta get me out of here I have to feed the horses.

Doughty12

Post by Doughty12 » Thu. Sep. 22, 2016 7:28 am

Good job putting down laminate flooring over the original wide plank floor boards...

Return to “The Coffee House”