Question About a Possible Base Burner Purchase.

Jimboslice
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 50-93

Post by Jimboslice » Wed. Jun. 22, 2016 5:17 pm

I've been following this forum for awhile now and just finished my first season of burning with a Hitzer 50-93. Needless to say, I'm hooked. Over the summer my goal is to setup another stove in my second chimney. I just found an awesome stove from the Daisy stove company, that looks like a baseburner setup. It was too dark in the lady's garage when I went to look at it to get decent pictures, but she should be sending me some. The stove appears to be missing part of the vent piping. It's my understanding that most base burners and other oak style stoves have a baffle setup where you can vent directly or send the exhaust under the stove and then out the back and up. This stove has everything installed to vent the long way. There are metal pipes on both sides of the top of the firebox, you can see in the pictures. The pipes run down to the bottom of the stove and there's a separate chamber on the bottom from the ash pan. However, on the top/back of the stove/firebox there is just a square hole with smaller screw holes to attach piping, much like on the sides. If I have sufficient draft could I just block off that hole on the back or will I need that direct vent to get the fire going properly. I wanted to see how difficult it would be to fabricate something since I doubt I can find any spares around. Could I just use regular stove pipe and cut/weld it to the sizes I need? The stove still has the rod that slides to change the baffle from direct vent to base vent so I should be able to connect that somehow. Also the stove is made to sit flat on the ground and has no legs or feet. It looks to have been dropped and there is a tiny piece of the bottom/corner that broke off, maybe the size of a quarter. Could I just use furnace cement to patch that hole? You'll never be able to see it so looks don't matter just want it to hold up and not leak. Basically I'm trying to figure out if it's worth my time to get this stove up and running. I was originally going to pickup another hitzer/harman/surdiac just to throw down in my basement for supplemental heat, but this stove was so unique I can't seem to walk away. I'll throw up the pictures as soon as she gets them to me.
Thanks
-Jim

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Wed. Jun. 22, 2016 6:55 pm

Welcome Jim.

Lots of clear pictures of the stove, inside and out, can help us to better help you.

Paul

blrman07

Post by blrman07 » Wed. Jun. 22, 2016 9:39 pm

hmmmm.... missing piping, missing fittings, no feet, no legs, been dropped, corner broken out....

Unless she's giving it away I might just pass on this one.

warminmn
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Junior, Riteway 37
Coal Size/Type: nut and stove anthracite, lignite
Other Heating: Wood and wear a wool shirt

Post by warminmn » Wed. Jun. 22, 2016 9:43 pm

Be sure its good or easily fixed before buying because you know another Hitzer will work good for sure.

franco b
Site Moderator
Hand Fed Coal Stove: V ermont Castings 2310, Franco Belge 262
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Modern Oak 114
Coal Size/Type: nut and pea

Post by franco b » Wed. Jun. 22, 2016 11:00 pm

A base burner without legs would be severely limited.

As Rev. Larry said, pass unless for very little.

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Thu. Jun. 23, 2016 6:09 am

Waitin for pix before I give my thoughts. Like Paul said, a bunch of them.

ONEDOLLAR
Verified Business Rep.
Hand Fed Coal Stove: 2014 Chubby Prototype
Coal Size/Type: Nut/Anthracite

Post by ONEDOLLAR » Thu. Jun. 23, 2016 7:48 am

Jimbo

Sounds like you should RUN... Don't walk from this stove. Take your time looking for a BB and don't rush into one. Chance favors the prepared mind and a BB will present itself to you and it will be the right stove at the right price.....

BTW.. Don't be shy about telling us what part of the good ole USA you are in. As Freetown Fred usually says "NOBODY IS GOING TO steal you." Seriously though I run across BB's fairly often and I don't mind keeping my eyes open for you. Unless you live in Slowboating Springs. Nebraska and then chances are you won't want to come to the Boston area to pick up one. :D

WELCOME TO THE FORUM!!!

coalfan
Hand Fed Coal Stove: ds circultor1500 \chubby coal stove
Coal Size/Type: nut/ pea ant.some bit.
Other Heating: kerosene\cold nat. gas

Post by coalfan » Thu. Jun. 23, 2016 9:44 am

jimbo take onedollars advice he will and can help you he has me and im sure many others and fred slipped on you n your lucky ,lol as od say and as fred says no one gonna steal yah there is alot of good help and info here , and welcome to a very good place !!enjoy . :)

SWPaDon
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Clayton 1600M
Coal Size/Type: Bituminous
Other Heating: Oil furnace

Post by SWPaDon » Thu. Jun. 23, 2016 7:55 pm

Are we going to see pictures of this stove?

wsherrick
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Glenwood Base Heater, Crawford Base Heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Crawford Base Heater, Glenwood, Stanley Argand
Coal Size/Type: Chestnut, Stove Size

Post by wsherrick » Thu. Jun. 23, 2016 8:07 pm

Listen to me: I know what it is like to really want something. There are plenty of beautiful stoves out there. This one has broken casting and is missing parts including the base.
Do NOT buy a stove with missing or broken parts because you are NOT going to find those parts.
Again listen to me, pass this one up.
A stove you will cherish will come along. He who seeks shall find.

ONEDOLLAR
Verified Business Rep.
Hand Fed Coal Stove: 2014 Chubby Prototype
Coal Size/Type: Nut/Anthracite

Post by ONEDOLLAR » Tue. Jul. 12, 2016 4:53 pm

To bad Jimbo hasn't returned to visit his post. I may have run across a BB for him. Assuming he is the New England area? Paging Jimbo... If you read this send me a PM. (Personal Message via this forum) :D
Thanks,
OD

Return to “Antiques, Baseburners, Kitchen Stoves, Restorations & Modern Reproductions”