Coffee 7-23-2016

SWPaDon
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Clayton 1600M
Coal Size/Type: Bituminous
Other Heating: Oil furnace

Post by SWPaDon » Mon. Jul. 25, 2016 12:46 am

titleist1, your weekend sounds like my last 2 weeks. Every day has brought more and more problems my way. It's gotten to where I'm afraid to go to sleep, for fear of what I may wake up to next :eek2:

coalnewbie
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: LL AnthraKing 180K, Pocono110K,KStokr 90K, DVC
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Invader 2
Baseburners & Antiques: Wings Best, Glenwood #8(x2) Herald 116x
Coal Size/Type: Rice,
Other Heating: Heating Oil CH, Toyotomi OM 22

Post by coalnewbie » Mon. Jul. 25, 2016 9:57 am

So the manure tractor won't start. I am pretty sure it needs another starter and it's a David Brown 1020. 10 years ago my local electric shop rebuilt it and told me that they had problems even then getting parts. The chit has to keep moving. So I will wait until the heat index gets to 105 and rip it all part. Now Rob told me red is positive and green is negative... or is it black that was negative, I can never remember.
100_0883.JPG

aaaarrrrgggghhhh

.JPG | 212KB | 100_0883.JPG

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Mon. Jul. 25, 2016 12:24 pm

coalnewbie wrote:So the manure tractor won't start. I am pretty sure it needs another starter and it's a David Brown 1020. 10 years ago my local electric shop rebuilt it and told me that they had problems even then getting parts. The chit has to keep moving. So I will wait until the heat index gets to 105 and rip it all part. Now Rob told me red is positive and green is negative... or is it black that was negative, I can never remember.
100_0883.JPG
Well, since that grounding strap is rather short, ..... you have a choice of one. :D

Paul

SWPaDon

Post by SWPaDon » Mon. Jul. 25, 2016 12:28 pm

Sunny Boy wrote:
coalnewbie wrote:So the manure tractor won't start. I am pretty sure it needs another starter and it's a David Brown 1020. 10 years ago my local electric shop rebuilt it and told me that they had problems even then getting parts. The chit has to keep moving. So I will wait until the heat index gets to 105 and rip it all part. Now Rob told me red is positive and green is negative... or is it black that was negative, I can never remember.
100_0883.JPG
Well, since that grounding strap is rather short, ..... you have a choice of one. :D

Paul
Should we take bets on the one he chooses? ;)

titleist1

Post by titleist1 » Mon. Jul. 25, 2016 1:45 pm

The AC is back on line....that should stop the whining for a little while. :dancing:

Found a couple local places with the correct capacitor this morning but they wouldn't sell to me because I don't have a contractor account with them. 20 in a box on his shelf and I cant give him my money for it......I wanted to set an account up using the llc but they said that would take a couple days?!?!?! :mad:

So searching the web, found a matching cap being sold by a place that happens to be about an hour away.....and they said they would actually sell to me !! and I could pick it up so I wouldn't have to wait for shipping!! So I made the trip, got it put in and it fired right up! Its trying to get caught up now from the 82* it got up to in here.

coalnewbie

Post by coalnewbie » Mon. Jul. 25, 2016 1:50 pm

Well Paul, I think you got it. Electrical problems are always grounding and ALL other problems are caused by women. Yep, it was that grounding strap. Does anybody want a selfie of me covered in grease and sweat - I need a few Peach Floosies.
Last edited by coalnewbie on Mon. Jul. 25, 2016 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SWPaDon

Post by SWPaDon » Mon. Jul. 25, 2016 2:05 pm

Sure, post the pics cn

SWPaDon

Post by SWPaDon » Mon. Jul. 25, 2016 2:07 pm

titleist1 wrote:The AC is back on line....that should stop the whining for a little while. :dancing:

Found a couple local places with the correct capacitor this morning but they wouldn't sell to me because I don't have a contractor account with them. 20 in a box on his shelf and I cant give him my money for it......I wanted to set an account up using the llc but they said that would take a couple days?!?!?! :mad:

So searching the web, found a matching cap being sold by a place that happens to be about an hour away.....and they said they would actually sell to me !! and I could pick it up so I wouldn't have to wait for shipping!! So I made the trip, got it put in and it fired right up! Its trying to get caught up now from the 82* it got up to in here.
It shouldn't take more than 5 minutes for the account.

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Mon. Jul. 25, 2016 2:29 pm

Simon,
The antique cars I work on have many poorly protected electrical connections. Plus fighting to get at batteries hidden under car seats to clean terminals once or twice a year can damage upholstery. Then there's the risk of breaking head and taillight lenses, that are irreplaceable, just to clean bulb contacts. To remedy that, about 15 years ago I started using electrician's anti-corrosion paste on all wire terminals and ground connections, plus the light bulb bases/sockets of all the cars I do electrical work on.

The paste keeps the connections clean so that the circuits maintain full current flow - even during long drives in rain storms. And the lights burn brighter because they are getting full voltage. When used to coat freshly cleaned battery terminals, the terminals never need re-cleaning for the life of the battery (in antique cars that can be at least ten years).

And it does wonders for the electrical connections of equipment left outdoors, like tractors.

Originally meant for coating the aluminum wire of service entry cable at the main breaker, it's sold in the electrical supplies section of most hardware stores, Lowes, and Home Depot.

Wire brush that ground strap, smear a dab of the anti-corrosion paste over all the contact surfaces and you'll never have a problem with it again. ;)

Paul

coalnewbie

Post by coalnewbie » Mon. Jul. 25, 2016 2:48 pm

Now that is a great idea :idea: I will buy a new tube though. I think I have some left over from the 6 months aluminum wiring was legal in NYS and I did some wiring. That tractor is outside 12 months a year and takes a terrible beating..

titleist1

Post by titleist1 » Mon. Jul. 25, 2016 3:06 pm

SWPaDon wrote: It shouldn't take more than 5 minutes for the account.
And it shouldn't take an account....they accept credit cards....i think they were hoarding them for their regular contractor customers to have access in this heat wave so they would look like heroes. I can sorta, kinda understand that, maybe they sold 100 of them last week and were down to their last 20. I swear that was where I bought the undercabinet lighting for the kitchen and I didn't have an account for that.

Thats ok, it was only two hours of driving for the $12 part and I stopped for a PA dutch milkshake on the way back as a reward for myself.

samhill
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: keystoker 160
Hand Fed Coal Stove: hitzer 75 in garage

Post by samhill » Mon. Jul. 25, 2016 3:40 pm

Titleist, I had a similar thing happen to me a couple of weeks ago, Our clothes dryer went a few weeks back & rather than trying to find a replacement igniter for an old dryer & having the next thing go I thought we'd get a new one. Around here for some reason it's almost nothing but electric, I wanted gas since we use propain & it's much easier & cheaper to throw in a conversion kit than run 220 across the length of the house & go electric. After finally finding a gas dryer my wife liked we bought it & I asked how much for the kit, they had them there for $20 but wouldn't sell to me, said it's a liability thing so bottom line they had to put it on so it ended up $70 more with the part. They have a big parts dept. where I've bought before but after giving a good deal on the dryer they wanted to make more, I guess it's the latest thing.

Return to “The Coffee House”