Proof It Must Be Cold...Frozen Pipe Issues

unhippy
Stoker Coal Boiler: MK2 #1

Post by unhippy » Tue. Aug. 09, 2016 2:46 am

StokerDon wrote:All I can say is WOW! That is one very different system than what you would find in this part of the world.

Is it still currently in the code that you must run the plumbing outside the house?

-Don
No it's not code anymore, that rule was withdrawn about 1920ish...most places have had the plumbing moved into the walls etc as renovations have been done over the years...my place hasn't had the old part of the house renovated to the level that would require wall linings removed to allow the pipework to be run thru the walls etc
coalnewbie wrote:As that tank has been there for 101 years with hand sawn beams and an uninsulated tin roof, I bet this coldness is unusual or the outer roof would have been insulated. In Maine (US) the tank would have been a block of ice. I agree, that tank looks good for another 100 years and the proximity to the chimney is smart and will resist light freezing weather. I bet any shower pressure in the top floor sucks at least mine in England did.

Thanks again for entertaining us. A dashcam of your drive to work would be exciting.

Simon
For us the cold snap was unusually bad one....a plumber I know has been doing 18+ hr days since saturday just fixing burst pipes and the like......and every plumber in town is doing the same thing.

The climate here is similar to coastal Southern Oregon temperature-wise so I am told, and the -10C temps for a few days caused carnage on the plumbing systems around the place

My house is a single story place with a 10ft ceiling height but even with that small of head of pressure we have no worrys with the shower pressure as we have a proper low pressure shower head.....Lmao try high pressure water to one of them and you end up plastered into the bottom of the shower cubical...as has been found out here numerous times when people have tried fitting a LP head onto a HP system "to get a better shower" :D

A dashcam video of my drive to work would be a bit boring...turn left out of my driveway onto the road, drive 7 miles on the same road, park on side of the same road.... done until go-home time :) ....oh and scoff down a coffee while driving

Return to “Coal News & General Coal Discussions”