Bricked My Computer, Anybody Do Solder Work in NEPA?

davidmcbeth3
Coal Size/Type: nut/pea/anthra

Post by davidmcbeth3 » Sun. Feb. 28, 2016 12:39 am

Horace wrote:
Richard S. wrote:If this chip fails to fix the issue I prefer the stump and axe method myself. The bright side is I'll have newer mobo and CPU, was already looking on Newegg. :) I'd buy the same one to avoid the hassle of reinstalling OS but I can only find used ones in the $170 range, I could have new one shipped from overseas for about $1k. Think it was about $200 when I bought it.
Why do you have to reinstall the OS? I switched comps a couple years ago where the ONLY thing that I kept was the hard drives. Both Linux and Win 7 booted right up. It may have farted around for an extra few seconds while it found everything, but everything worked.
that's a better experience I had when I upgraded to windon'ts 10 .... lost some keyboard functionality at the end of fixing many other things that needed fixing.

As all my family members know, Bill Gates is one of a handful of people I would be happy to see get cold-cocked.

Richard S.
Mayor
Stoker Coal Boiler: Van Wert VA1200
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat/Anthracite

Post by Richard S. » Sun. Feb. 28, 2016 4:38 am

Horace wrote: Why do you have to reinstall the OS?
Because it can lead too performance issues, I'm a little obsessive about this.

This is not much of an issue for me becsue the OS and my programs are on their own drive, my data is on RAID1 drives. I just need to to install the software and point it at the correct folder on the drive if necessary, for example my email client. I'll be back to square one in about 2 hours.

Horace
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Harman ST8-VF8 / Frankenstove

Post by Horace » Mon. Feb. 29, 2016 11:09 pm

Richard S. wrote: Because it can lead too performance issues, I'm a little obsessive about this.
Gotcha.

mozz
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 1982 AA-130 Steam

Post by mozz » Tue. Mar. 08, 2016 9:46 pm

Don't know if you got this fixed.Been busy with other projects and haven't visited in a while. I am certified military solderer ( IPC-A-610 and IPC-J-STD-001courses last year ) and have been soldering since 76 or so when I was 13-14 years old. I can solder stuff most people can't see.

gbru316
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Mk III
Other Heating: Oil forced air

Post by gbru316 » Tue. Mar. 08, 2016 10:06 pm

mozz wrote:Don't know if you got this fixed.Been busy with other projects and haven't visited in a while. I am certified military solderer ( IPC-A-610 and IPC-J-STD-001courses last year ) and have been soldering since 76 or so when I was 13-14 years old. I can solder stuff most people can't see.
That J-std training is really useful for fixing things, isn't it? Soldering those 0603 resistors really tests your skills with an iron.

Richard S.
Mayor

Post by Richard S. » Wed. Mar. 09, 2016 10:50 am

Thanks Mozz, you're a little bit too far way. I guess what I should of asked is anyone in the Wyoming Valley. Found local electronics shop that will do it for $20.

I'm visiting Gram at the moment but the chip has been delivered. Just need to get there and get the board to the electronics shop and cross my fingers.

I have the devil on one shoulder hoping it's not going to work. :lol:

mozz
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 1982 AA-130 Steam

Post by mozz » Wed. Mar. 09, 2016 1:06 pm

[/quote]
That J-std training is really useful for fixing things, isn't it? Soldering those 0603 resistors really tests your skills with an iron.[/quote]

If you've soldered for years, those courses are fairly easy. But you get set in your ways. I used to do lots of surface mount with tweezers, had to stop the coffee in the morning. 0402 0603 and 1206 sizes, most boards now we just throw away and replace. Used to run a pick and place machine , those cameras were basically microscopes. Latest hobby involves 42awg wire. Small but I can still see it.

Have bricked a few motherboards, and brought them back to life, not always fun.

Richard S.
Mayor

Post by Richard S. » Sun. Mar. 27, 2016 2:45 pm

No dice but I think there might be something wrong. Comouter doesn't even try to start with new chip, with the onld one I was getting error code. Soon as you turn it on it goes off. It will try that a few times and the switches to backup. With that I'm getting error codes on the panel.

I wondering if the chip is bad or if it wasn't installed right.

Richard S.
Mayor

Post by Richard S. » Thu. Aug. 18, 2016 1:02 am

I forgot to thank Mozz for coming over to double check the original solder work.. Thanks... Still owe you a case of beer. Anyhow apparently nothing wrong with the solder work.

I sent the guy an email I bought the chip off of and he sent me replacement chip for free, finally got around to it and rolled the dice again with another $25..... and it LIVES. :) Posting from it right now.

davidmcbeth3
Coal Size/Type: nut/pea/anthra

Post by davidmcbeth3 » Thu. Aug. 18, 2016 1:58 am

Richard S. wrote:I forgot to thank Mozz for coming over to double check the original solder work.. Thanks... Still owe you a case of beer. Anyhow apparently nothing wrong with the solder work.

I sent the guy an email I bought the chip off of and he sent me replacement chip for free, finally got around to it and rolled the dice again with another $25..... and it LIVES. :) Posting from it right now.
Further issues? Hit your benis with a hammer.

Enjoy your 8088 !

Return to “Technology”