New Coal Chute Door?

swyman
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman-Anderson 260M Leisure Line AA-220 Boiler (FOR SALE)
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh Pea

Post by swyman » Mon. Aug. 22, 2016 10:59 pm

Rob R. wrote:Once everything cools off give the trailer wheels a shake and see if any of the bearings need to be snugged up. :)

Did you get rice or buck?
I filled 5 containers with rice and 5 of buck. More of a difference in size than I thought, can't wait to see the difference, if any, between the two. I haven't pulled the trailer in and checked the bearings, I would think they are fine.....they are oil bath just like a semi trailer and I also checked them at each fuel stop and no excess heat. Brakes worked incredibly well, only needed to run 6% gain and you could feel it. The engine brake did most of the work, it is amazing how hard it kicks in. There is a gauge in the cluster that tells you turbo boost and brake horsepower and there were times on the long downhill's it was reading 165 brake hp. Don't know how accurate that is but thought was pretty cool!

swyman

Post by swyman » Mon. Aug. 22, 2016 11:02 pm

unhippy wrote:
swyman wrote:Was 500 miles each way
Just one thing to say.... :notworthy:
You know it kind of reminded me of the 1st half of my life when I farmed for a living. I could sit in that tractor for 14-16hrs a day. I just love driving but the scenery was a whole lot better! I credit a lot to the truck also, there's no fatigue driving that thing. It's so quite inside and the roads were very smooth which created a very enjoyable experience.

swyman

Post by swyman » Mon. Aug. 22, 2016 11:07 pm

Olllotj wrote:Wow nice work. :D I would have had to take a long nap in the truck after I got loaded up.

If you can't swing the addition then don't push it or be to hard on yourself about it. Be patient, and talk to more hammer swingers. Maybe next year?
I am picking up my second quote after work in the morning....crossing my fingers. If it doesn't pan out I will probably try one more guy and if that's a no go I have already started cleaning my existing basement for a spot to put everything. Was hoping to put the addition on the West wall which is the coldest wall in the house. Will read 38* when it's cold and blowing compared to 68* in the rest of the house. Never did anything about it because I figured I would have a addition on that section. Planning on putting the boiler right on that wall in the basement if the addition doesn't work out....should help a lot?

Olllotj
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker KB-8
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat
Other Heating: Utica Propane Hot Water

Post by Olllotj » Tue. Aug. 23, 2016 2:47 pm

Are you saying that the west foundation wall in the basement will be 38*? If that's what you're saying then I would focus on Insulating that wall. Glue up some foam board, or stud it out and insulate it?

Put the boiler in the easiest place to service it. loading coal in, and ash out.

Simply adding heat to a really cold spot, will cause that source of heat to work really hard.

Do you have a chimney that you can use in the basement?

swyman

Post by swyman » Tue. Aug. 23, 2016 8:53 pm

Well guys I won't have to worry about putting in old low ceiling basement! My 2nd bid came within $2k of my budget so I will hopefully have a new basement to put it in before Thanksgiving! I don't know how the building industry works but how can you have a $15,000 difference in only a 400sqft building? Guess the first guys didn't really want to do it? Anyway I am happy as can be and will be looking forward to doing this new install!

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Tue. Aug. 23, 2016 9:24 pm

Nice SM--ain't KISS grande" :)

swyman

Post by swyman » Wed. Aug. 24, 2016 2:41 am

Olllotj wrote:.

Do you have a chimney that you can use in the basement?
I have a power vent but this might be a good time to add a chimney? Well, can't think of a good spot to put a chimney that would look good?

SWPaDon
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Clayton 1600M
Coal Size/Type: Bituminous
Other Heating: Oil furnace

Post by SWPaDon » Wed. Aug. 24, 2016 6:39 am

The best place for your chimney to operate correctly would be in between the old house and the new addition. A chimney on the outside of the wall can lose draft when it gets cold.

blrman07

Post by blrman07 » Wed. Aug. 24, 2016 6:57 am

An external metal chimney might have a problem but a properly built masonry chimney should have minimal loss when it gets cold. I have two external chimneys and I have zero problems with draft on my handfired vigilant casting 2310 and my bucket a day coal fired water heater.

This is a stoker that does not totally depend on draft for exhaust and should work just fine on a masonry chimney external or internal.

Olllotj

Post by Olllotj » Wed. Aug. 24, 2016 6:59 am

Yep Build a chimney.

Keep it simple and use the chimney block and matching flu tiles.

Have the foundation guys pour a footer for it and put the chimney between the addition and old house. Then just drywall around it in the new room.

Olllotj

Post by Olllotj » Wed. Aug. 24, 2016 7:00 am

Yep Build a chimney.

Keep it simple and use the chimney block and matching flu tiles.

Have the foundation guys pour a footer for it and put the chimney between the addition and old house. Then just drywall around it in the new room.

Return to “Coal Bins, Chimneys, CO Detectors & Thermostats”