Question on Wiring

Cummins junkie

Post by Cummins junkie » Sun. Aug. 28, 2016 6:46 pm

I'm sure this has been covered already but I can't find anything on it but I'll explain my situation. I'm installing my efm 520 in a separate building where it will heat my house and garage. I will have a pump in the building that I want to come on when I have a heat call in either building but not when the timer kick the stoker on. Right now I have my timer and a hydrosmart aquastat. Can anyone tell me how to wire it to keep the pump off when the timer comes on. Thank you

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Sun. Aug. 28, 2016 6:50 pm

The timer won't turn the circulator on unless you have it wired incorrectly.

Hopefully it isn't too late to run a thermostat wire from your house and garage to the EFM. You can use that to signal a heat call from either building and start the circualtor via the C1/C2 terminals in the Hydrolevel aquastat.

Cummins junkie

Post by Cummins junkie » Sun. Aug. 28, 2016 8:46 pm

It's not to late. Can it be wired so the hydrosmart turns on both pump and stoker while timer leaves the pump off?

Rob R.
Site Moderator

Post by Rob R. » Sun. Aug. 28, 2016 10:06 pm

Yes.

Cummins junkie

Post by Cummins junkie » Sun. Aug. 28, 2016 10:35 pm

Ok thank you so much. I will be posting pictures of the install. I'm converting from an OWB so hopefully this makes my winters a lot easier from now on.

Pacowy
Stoker Coal Boiler: H.B. Smith 350 Mills boiler/EFM 85R stoker
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat/anthracite

Post by Pacowy » Mon. Aug. 29, 2016 2:38 pm

I don't know much about boiler wiring or outbuilding installations, but if the circulator is off for a while would that increase the risk of frozen lines?

Mike

StokerDon
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Gentleman Janitor GJ-5, Van Wert VA-600, Axeman Anderson130 X3.
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Harman SF3500 reduced down to 3 grates connected to its own plenum
Coal Size/Type: Rice, Chestnut and whatever will fit through the door on the Harman
Other Heating: Noth'in but COAL! Well, Maybe a little tiny bit of wood

Post by StokerDon » Mon. Aug. 29, 2016 6:28 pm

Cummins junkie wrote:Ok thank you so much. I will be posting pictures of the install. I'm converting from an OWB so hopefully this makes my winters a lot easier from now on.
YAY!

Welcome to the wonderful world of under fed coal stoker boilers!

-Don

waldo lemieux

Post by waldo lemieux » Mon. Aug. 29, 2016 7:14 pm

CJ

When you dig your trench for pipe, put in a 1 1/2" pvc conduit with a dozen pull strings in it for future unexpected needs . When you back fill don't use sand, rather washed #2 round stone . I will do a good job of draining your ditch of heat robbing ground water.
Put a ditch to daylight at the lowest part of the trench to ensure the thing stays dry. As far as insulation for the pipe there is several ways to go . I don't think which insulation is as important as keeping water away from it. And your gonna love your system :!:

Cummins junkie

Post by Cummins junkie » Mon. Aug. 29, 2016 8:43 pm

I've had my OWB since 2008 and have always had my pumps cycle with heat calls. Several people have told me I'm crazy but with how I plumbed the system there are enough heat calls between both buildings that the water gets pushed enough it doesn't get the chance to cool down that much. I tried running the main pump for the house constant for a short time and my wood consumption went through the roof.

Rob R.
Site Moderator

Post by Rob R. » Mon. Aug. 29, 2016 8:47 pm

The colder it is outside the more the pumps run. You can run them all the time, but as you have already observed it impacts fuel (and electrical) and consumption.

Cummins junkie

Post by Cummins junkie » Sat. Sep. 03, 2016 3:07 pm

Can anyone tell me what the difference in between the hydrolevel for gas boiler and the one for oil. I picked one up for oil boiler just want to make sure it'll work.

Rob R.
Site Moderator

Post by Rob R. » Sat. Sep. 03, 2016 3:08 pm

The oil unit is the one you want.

Return to “Stoker Coal Boilers Using Anthracite (Hydronic & Steam)”