Tractor Supply PSA

qbwebb

Post by qbwebb » Mon. Sep. 19, 2016 6:16 pm

Watch out for TSC 15% off Friends and family discount. Went into the store this evening thinking I could put 110 rice bags (max discount = $100) on layaway and pick up when I had my truck. The couple in front of me just did the same transaction with pellets, then I was called over to the next cashier who went and got a 1 page sheet with terms of the 15% that said "no Layaway." She then told the other cashier "how many did you give 15% off to tonight, don't do that for anyone else" and wouldn't give me the discount.

The terms in the mailer are below, nothing about layaway is stated... they put separate terms out for cashiers??

I still have 2.5 tons from last year, TSC is going to have to discount coal anyway, doubt they are moving much with cheap oil.

"Maximum Discount $100
Present this invitation to the cashier at the time of purchase to receive your discount.
Not valid with any other discounts, volume discounts or special orders. Does not apply to tax, shipping or online purchases. Offer does not include Power Plus Plans, TSC gift cards, delivery services, Cub Cadet or Bad Boy products. Good September 19, 2016 from 5PM - 9PM only."

warminmn
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Junior, Riteway 37
Coal Size/Type: nut and stove anthracite, lignite
Other Heating: Wood and wear a wool shirt

Post by warminmn » Mon. Sep. 19, 2016 6:43 pm

Were you going to pay for it completely today? I would think that would be fine.

qbwebb

Post by qbwebb » Mon. Sep. 19, 2016 7:26 pm

I was going to put the normal 25% down and pay the bal on pickup. She said I had to take delivery today. Not frustrated at the terms specifically, more that they all weren't spelled out in the promo to customers but were all spelled out to cashiers. Its just a get you in the store tactic...

alpineboard
Stoker Coal Boiler: Van Wert 600
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Tarm 202
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman HXL, 150, Crane 88, Crane 404
Other Heating: Solar

Post by alpineboard » Mon. Sep. 19, 2016 7:36 pm

qbwebb wrote:Watch out for TSC 15% off Friends and family discount. Went into the store this evening thinking I could put 110 rice bags (max discount = $100) on layaway and pick up when I had my truck. The couple in front of me just did the same transaction with pellets, then I was called over to the next cashier who went and got a 1 page sheet with terms of the 15% that said "no Layaway." She then told the other cashier "how many did you give 15% off to tonight, don't do that for anyone else" and wouldn't give me the discount.

The terms in the mailer are below, nothing about layaway is stated... they put separate terms out for cashiers??

I still have 2.5 tons from last year, TSC is going to have to discount coal anyway, doubt they are moving much with cheap oil.

"Maximum Discount $100
Present this invitation to the cashier at the time of purchase to receive your discount.
Not valid with any other discounts, volume discounts or special orders. Does not apply to tax, shipping or online purchases. Offer does not include Power Plus Plans, TSC gift cards, delivery services, Cub Cadet or Bad Boy products. Good September 19, 2016 from 5PM - 9PM only."
Paid for 3 ton, left with one, name was put on 2 other tons for pick up tomorrow. I got last years stuff, Kimmel. As I did not want to screw around with that new white bag stuff, all it says is "coal" , from ts in Virginia. Good news was $254/ton and 10 miles away.

ben
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 350 with an S-20 pot (1966)
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Post by ben » Sat. Oct. 15, 2016 9:05 am

I bought 6 bags of rice from Tractor Supply two weeks ago. It really burns nice. Low ash too.
Its in a white bag with no name or where it came from. Could this be Kimmel's?
I would recommend it. Very few fines and not real wet but damp.

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Sat. Oct. 15, 2016 9:13 am

ben wrote:I bought 6 bags of rice from Tractor Supply two weeks ago. It really burns nice. Low ash too.
Its in a white bag with no name or where it came from. Could this be Kimmel's?
I would recommend it. Very few fines and not real wet but damp.
I think your are the first one that has reported no-name bags at TSC. Not sure where it is from. Glad your EFM is running good on it.

joeq
Hand Fed Coal Stove: G111, Southard Robertson

Post by joeq » Sun. Oct. 16, 2016 8:04 pm

My buddy and I went to pick up my reserved single pallet of nut coal, with the 10% discount. Total price, $250 which is 50 bucks cheaper than most coal sold by the ton around these parts. The skid "appeared" small at 1st, and we had a hard time trying to count the levels, but in the end, it was all there. The experience wasn't all that pleasant, because the lady employee was relatively new, and was complaining about having to dig out the pallet. (Turns out she can't work a forklift very well, and they were under staffed). I was about to call the whole deal off when I saw the bags were "generically" labeled! "What happened to the Kimmel?" I asked her, and she had no idea what I was talkin about. She stated, "We don't sell much coal around here", and she herself has only sold a skid. I wanted to tell her, if TSC would advertise it, maybe they'ld have more participation. My buddy had already prepaid for the order, which I had to reimburse him, so for the price, I said, load it up. (I'll take the chance)
Once I was able to interpret the invoice, seems the Co. is Reading, which I believe should be OK. Anyone?

SWPaDon
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Clayton 1600M
Coal Size/Type: Bituminous
Other Heating: Oil furnace

Post by SWPaDon » Sun. Oct. 16, 2016 8:13 pm

joeq wrote:My buddy and I went to pick up my reserved single pallet of nut coal, with the 10% discount. Total price, $250 which is 50 bucks cheaper than most coal sold by the ton around these parts. The skid "appeared" small at 1st, and we had a hard time trying to count the levels, but in the end, it was all there. The experience wasn't all that pleasant, because the lady employee was relatively new, and was complaining about having to dig out the pallet. (Turns out she can't work a forklift very well, and they were under staffed). I was about to call the whole deal off when I saw the bags were "generically" labeled! "What happened to the Kimmel?" I asked her, and she had no idea what I was talkin about. She stated, "We don't sell much coal around here", and she herself has only sold a skid. I wanted to tell her, if TSC would advertise it, maybe they'ld have more participation. My buddy had already prepaid for the order, which I had to reimburse him, so for the price, I said, load it up. (I'll take the chance)
Once I was able to interpret the invoice, seems the Co. is Reading, which I believe should be OK. Anyone?
THey started talking about the 'different coal' from Tractor Supply over here: Kimmels at Tractor Supply

I was honestly surprised no one started a new thread considering it clearly isn't 'Kimmels' any longer.

jac48
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harmond mark2, crane coal cooker 44
Coal Size/Type: nut

Post by jac48 » Sun. Oct. 23, 2016 7:28 pm

I was just at TS in orange CT. and they had nut coal in a white bag with green lettering. does anyone know where the coal is from? How does it preform? said shipped from Brentwood, TN, bag says Premium nut coal

joeq
Hand Fed Coal Stove: G111, Southard Robertson

Post by joeq » Sun. Oct. 23, 2016 9:43 pm

My bags weren't from Brentwood, but the coal is said to be "Reading" coal.

chevyman1980

Post by chevyman1980 » Wed. Dec. 21, 2016 7:59 pm

ive been burnin tractor supply coal in white bags they say premium antracite on them. its nut coal and been burnin great. I don't think its kimmels because I had kimmels before and I think it sucks. now the otheres I seen tractor suppy had was somethin else in a white bag but cant remember it didnt say premium antracite and it realy sucked. I usualy burn reading myself,and it is the best I found,but this premium antracite at tsc may be reading kinda burns like it.

SWPaDon

Post by SWPaDon » Wed. Dec. 21, 2016 8:21 pm

chevyman1980 wrote:ive been burnin tractor supply coal in white bags they say premium antracite on them. its nut coal and been burnin great. I don't think its kimmels because I had kimmels before and I think it sucks. now the otheres I seen tractor suppy had was somethin else in a white bag but cant remember it didnt say premium antracite and it realy sucked. I usualy burn reading myself,and it is the best I found,but this premium antracite at tsc may be reading kinda burns like it.
Miners Choice?

lowfog01
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Mark II & Mark I
Coal Size/Type: nut/pea

Post by lowfog01 » Wed. Dec. 21, 2016 9:12 pm

joeq wrote:My bags weren't from Brentwood, but the coal is said to be "Reading" coal.
Well if it is Reading I'm out of TSC for coal. I'll definitely ask for confirmation before I spend any money. I burned Reading my first year when I didn't know any better and almost quit coal. Now I drive an hour further to get Blasack because it makes a huge difference. Thanks for passing this on.

PS I burned TSC nut (Kimmels?) last year with no issues.

chevyman1980

Post by chevyman1980 » Fri. Dec. 23, 2016 10:19 pm

yea swpdon it was minors choice. Definitely not my choice. it was the worst coal I ever burned. best I found yet is reading,but last years bags of reading really sucked bad. they were wett and lot of fine crushed up stuff. I hear blachak is really good to,but it cost alot more in my area anyhow

SWPaDon

Post by SWPaDon » Fri. Dec. 23, 2016 10:27 pm

chevyman1980 wrote:yea swpdon it was minors choice. Definitely not my choice. it was the worst coal I ever burned. best I found yet is reading,but last years bags of reading really sucked bad. they were wett and lot of fine crushed up stuff. I hear blachak is really good to,but it cost alot more in my area anyhow
There were a lot of bad reports on the Miners Choice that TSC started selling when they ran out of Kimmels.

Return to “Coal Prices & Quality, Coal Dealer Inquiries & Reviews”