Who Uses Vacuum to Transfer Their Coal?

swyman
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman-Anderson 260M Leisure Line AA-220 Boiler (FOR SALE)
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh Pea

Post by swyman » Wed. Oct. 19, 2016 11:39 pm

I have been thinking of all the different ways to transfer the coal out my IBC totes to my boiler hopper. I was going to build stand on a angle to set the whole tote above the hopper and let gravity do it's thing but now that my boiler will be in the basement I will not have the means to do it. I think a vacuum system would be the cheapest, easiest, and less damaging way to transfer coal from bin to hopper? My plan is to make a stand for a 55 gallon drum above the hopper. The drum will have a cone with a gate valve (like what's used on campers for waste water) welded on the bottom with a inlet and outlet for vacuum hoses on top. I have built this same setup back when I used to burn corn and worked well but this will be a little different. For those that use vacuum, how do you do it or have any suggestions? Pics welcome!

davidmcbeth3
Coal Size/Type: nut/pea/anthra

Post by davidmcbeth3 » Thu. Oct. 20, 2016 12:32 am

You're killing me ..... I still have not finished such a project ... I did make a trap for larger clinkers to be caught .. but I have issues with my vaccum and its HEPA filter attachment.....when it worked it worked great ... I had the vacuum outside ... when the filter did not seal well...then the thing spewed ash all over the place.

Now I'll try to remake an adapter...wands at the ready !

swyman
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman-Anderson 260M Leisure Line AA-220 Boiler (FOR SALE)
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh Pea

Post by swyman » Thu. Oct. 20, 2016 6:58 am

davidmcbeth3 wrote:You're killing me ..... I still have not finished such a project ... I did make a trap for larger clinkers to be caught .. but I have issues with my vaccum and its HEPA filter attachment.....when it worked it worked great ... I had the vacuum outside ... when the filter did not seal well...then the thing spewed ash all over the place.

Now I'll try to remake an adapter...wands at the ready !
I will try to dig up some old pics of what I had but the last system was in my garage and I used pvc to hard pipe from the wall to the peak of the roof then down the roof line into the top if the 55 gallon drum. I installed a wye just before the drum and that is where I pulled my vacuum from and installed a screen so the kernels of corn would pass over due to gravity but the fines and dust went into the shop vac. I also used a piece if pvc as a wand with a tee for a handle with a ball valve attached so I could adjust the airflow as needed so it wouldn't overload the pipe. Worked very well but I won't have the headroom and I think I will be able to do it much simpler? There has to be a few on here that have done it, just looking for more ideas! One negative thing (or should I say positive!) with this system was static electricity.... and lots of it! I put a ground rod in through the floor then copper wire around the pipe and put screws through the pipe every couple feet and wrapped the wire around the screws also. It did the trick for the most part but wasn't perfect.

titleist1

Post by titleist1 » Thu. Oct. 20, 2016 8:21 am

There are a few threads on here with pics....very poor internet connection speed today or I would add a few more...

titleist1 @ Another Coal Sucker...

lzaharis @ Coal Vac- How to Lay Pipe in the Bin?

15 Gal Coal Vac System Tutorial

Coal Vac Operation Video

Return to “Coal Bins, Chimneys, CO Detectors & Thermostats”