Coal Bin Designs

Wanna Bee
Location: You wouldn't believe me if I told ya! Virginville PA

Post by Wanna Bee » Thu. Jun. 27, 2013 7:55 am

The best Idea for an outside coal bin that I have ever seen is... use an old decomissioned grain wagon.
They look like this http://www.greenfunstore.com/John-Deere-Toy-Gravi ... 45098.html.

Bury it in a hill side that you can reach the top with your truck to fill it. Already has a shute for coal and I bet it would hold a years worth without issue.

I am using a 4'x4'x4' plastic tote with molded feet on the bottom, It holds about 3500lbs of nut. Best part is I have a forklift and I live 30 minutes from the source. I stick the container in the back of my F350, drive to DeRenzo's, get it loaded, drive home and unload the whole thing in one shot with the forklift. (No need to shovel anything) I can stick it in the shop or outside with a cover on it. I have no way of dispensing the coal though. I just shovel the coal for that day into a bucket from over the side of the container. When it gets tough to reach the coal I just go get more :P

I'll get a picture of it when I get home

coalnewbie
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: LL AnthraKing 180K, Pocono110K,KStokr 90K, DVC
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Invader 2
Baseburners & Antiques: Wings Best, Glenwood #8(x2) Herald 116x
Coal Size/Type: Rice,
Other Heating: Heating Oil CH, Toyotomi OM 22

Post by coalnewbie » Thu. Oct. 20, 2016 8:16 am

The best Idea for an outside coal bin that I have ever seen is... use an old decomissioned grain wagon.
They look like this http://www.greenfunstore.com/John-Deere ... 45098.html.
Oh, you mean like this. One extra is that homer buckets fit perfectly under the chute. With extenders it holds about 8 tons. I am looking for number two. I load it with the skid steer and push it in the tractor shed. With the extender the bucket is just high enough.

Attachments

100_0920.JPG
.JPG | 143.3KB | 100_0920.JPG

oliver power
Stoker Coal Boiler: KEYSTOKER Kaa-2
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 50-93 & 30-95, Vigilant (pre-2310), D.S. 1600 Circulator, Hitzer 254

Post by oliver power » Fri. Oct. 21, 2016 3:23 am

The gravity wagon does work nice. However, the coal corrosion will eat holes through the bottom. I replaced the floor in mine a couple years ago. Had to patch it the following year. Had to fix holes again this year. My gravity wagon is kind of rough. The next gravity wagon I get, I will cover the bottom with aluminum. Coal doesn't seam to bother aluminum. I would glue it in place, and caulk seams with geo-cel. I made a smaller chute to fit a 5 gallon pail. The whole concept works great. Holds 6 ton of buckwheat coal. Some old metal roofing makes a quick roof, sloping away from the door.

lsayre
Stoker Coal Boiler: AHS S130 Coal Gun
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh Anthracite Pea
Other Heating: Resistance Boiler (13.5 KW), ComfortMax 75

Post by lsayre » Fri. Oct. 21, 2016 7:11 am

oliver power wrote:The gravity wagon does work nice. However, the coal corrosion will eat holes through the bottom. I replaced the floor in mine a couple years ago. Had to patch it the following year. Had to fix holes again this year. My gravity wagon is kind of rough. The next gravity wagon I get, I will cover the bottom with aluminum. Coal doesn't seam to bother aluminum. I would glue it in place, and caulk seams with geo-cel. I made a smaller chute to fit a 5 gallon pail. The whole concept works great. Holds 6 ton of buckwheat coal. Some old metal roofing makes a quick roof, sloping away from the door.
I'd bet that spray-on Truckbed Liner would work great to coat the bottom and keep it from corroding. You can do this yourself, or see if a local truckbed liner company will tackle it for you.

coalnewbie
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: LL AnthraKing 180K, Pocono110K,KStokr 90K, DVC
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Invader 2
Baseburners & Antiques: Wings Best, Glenwood #8(x2) Herald 116x
Coal Size/Type: Rice,
Other Heating: Heating Oil CH, Toyotomi OM 22

Post by coalnewbie » Fri. Oct. 21, 2016 7:17 am

I painted mine with slip paint an easy solution. The coal moves just fine and I see no evidence of corrosion yet. Time will tell.

Return to “Coal Bins, Chimneys, CO Detectors & Thermostats”