Ash Ring

ASea
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Alaska Kast Console II
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Coal Chubby
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Modern Oak 114, Glenwood 30 "Estate" Warm Morning 120
Coal Size/Type: Sherman Anthracite Nut/Stove from C&T Coal
Other Heating: Peerless Boiler with Cast Iron Baseboards

Post by ASea » Sun. Feb. 14, 2016 8:47 pm

I have been unable to shake the stove down on several occasions due to clinkers getting caught around the edges of the grate will an ash ring eliminate this?

ONEDOLLAR
Verified Business Rep.
Hand Fed Coal Stove: 2014 Chubby Prototype
Coal Size/Type: Nut/Anthracite

Post by ONEDOLLAR » Mon. Feb. 15, 2016 10:29 am

Asea

The ring could help. Clinkers though can be rather insidious as you probably have already discovered. What temps have you been running on your stove the past few days?

ASea
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Modern Oak 114, Glenwood 30 "Estate" Warm Morning 120

Post by ASea » Mon. Feb. 15, 2016 11:11 am

Mostly idling on very low like the video. When it gets down in the teens I run with the bottom damper about half open. I had to shut the stove off despite all the poking it was loaded with ash and clinkers :mad: . I haven't used it since as I also need to replace the blower. This has me contemplating the stoker life :?: What I would love to see are aftermarket prismatic grates on the idea of what the Glenwoods had.

ASea

Post by ASea » Mon. Feb. 15, 2016 11:13 am

When the Chubby is clinker free and a fella can shake it down it is great. It radiates heat beautifully due to the steel/cast construction no firebrick is a major advantage.

ONEDOLLAR
Verified Business Rep.
Hand Fed Coal Stove: 2014 Chubby Prototype
Coal Size/Type: Nut/Anthracite

Post by ONEDOLLAR » Mon. Feb. 15, 2016 11:48 am

Clinkers seem to be caused by the factors of coal quality and heat. They can be ROCK hard or soft and crumble at the slightest touch, and coal that has a "red" ash seems to clinker more.

If you have been clearing too much ash this could help clinkers form as well. One of the most common things Larry and I see is people shake and rake too much feeling the need to clear all of the ash.

I suspect with the very cold temps we have had the past few days have caused you to run the stove hotter than normal. I know my Chubby has been set at 500-600f for the past 3 days.200 to 250f hotter than normal. Even with the serious cold I have only been shaking down ONCE per day in the evening and doing some poking and very light "raking" in the morning instead of shaking down prior to reloading with coal.(miners choice) and I have had no clinker issues.

ASea

Post by ASea » Mon. Feb. 15, 2016 7:52 pm

I have been burning Kimmel's nut coal almost exclusively. I did pick up a couple bags of "Miners Choice" apparently miners aren't too choosey. I shake down twice a day or so but I really poke the grates every few hours, or when I get bored lol.

ASea

Post by ASea » Fri. Feb. 19, 2016 5:23 pm

Completely cleaned the stove out,checked the shaker mechanism and vacuumed everything. I went and picked up a couple bags of Reading Coal. I will only tend once every twelve hours,no poking in between. We shall see how we do. I also picked up a couple 50lb bags of Kimmel's Nut didn't realize they made it in 50lb bags.

ASea

Post by ASea » Sat. Feb. 20, 2016 8:52 am

The Reading coal produces a nice fine ash the stove shook down well this morning. When Tax time rolls around maybe I will get the ash ring. I also need a blower and the fire view door is pretty nice.

lobsterman
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby, 1980 Fully restored by Larry Trainer
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Chubby Jr, early model with removable grates

Post by lobsterman » Fri. Oct. 21, 2016 7:20 pm

ASea wrote:I have been unable to shake the stove down on several occasions due to clinkers getting caught around the edges of the grate will an ash ring eliminate this?
Don't be shy with yankin and clankin the shaker. You can't hurt it.

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”