Stove Startup Time Has Arrived

tcalo
Baseburners & Antiques: Crawford 40
Coal Size/Type: Nut/stove anthracite

Post by tcalo » Mon. Oct. 10, 2016 5:57 pm

Sunny Boy wrote:nice job of fitting in the mano gauge with the room décor. Looks so much better than just a bare gauge hanging on the wall . ;) At first I thought it was an wall clock. :D
Paul
Thanks Paul. I built a bench and wall unit with cubbies for baskets. We keep our kids stuff in them, trying to stay organized. With 3 little tikes it's not that easy! The box I built for the manometer is an exact replica of the wall unit. I'll get a photo up of it when I get a chance. The wife wasn't too pleased to have a gauge hanging on the wall and piped into the flue to begin with so I had to dress it up nice and make it presentable. I scored a magnehelic gauge so figured why not use it. It looks a bit nicer than the Dwyer Mark II model 25.
Lightning wrote:That's stove looks awesome tcalo! 8-)
Thanks a bunch Lightning.
coalnewbie wrote:TCalo, great minds think alike
Agreed...cn

Hey Paul, I bet he hangs that 109 on his key chain during the summer... :lol:

SawDustJack
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Newcastle/Ironhouse;Warm Morning 617a
Coal Size/Type: Stove/Nut

Post by SawDustJack » Mon. Oct. 10, 2016 5:59 pm

I have had a wood fire or two, until today. Well, tonight actually. Put a load of coal in and plan to burn for a day or so. I know this sounds weird to most, but I think you all will understand...I SO missed it! :)

lobsterman
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby, 1980 Fully restored by Larry Trainer
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Chubby Jr, early model with removable grates

Post by lobsterman » Mon. Oct. 10, 2016 6:01 pm

Yesterday low 40s with rain and blowing wind from Mathew at a distance of 500 mi. Lit up the Chubster. Wood, of course. Never ceases to amaze me how much scrap there is around to burn. The first coal fire likely won't be until sometime well into November. Happy and safe burning this season, everyone.

lobsterman
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby, 1980 Fully restored by Larry Trainer
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Chubby Jr, early model with removable grates

Post by lobsterman » Mon. Oct. 10, 2016 6:08 pm

SawDustJack wrote:I have had a wood fire or two, until today. Well, tonight actually. Put a load of coal in and plan to burn for a day or so. I know this sounds weird to most, but I think you all will understand...I SO missed it! :)
No way is that weird. I will light coal for a day many times in the swing seasons. Wood is great for 3-4 hours. For 24 hr or more I would go coal. Easy on and easy off. I am a member of the 10-match club.

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Mon. Oct. 10, 2016 6:09 pm

tcalo wrote:
Sunny Boy wrote:nice job of fitting in the mano gauge with the room décor. Looks so much better than just a bare gauge hanging on the wall . At first I thought it was an wall clock. :D
Paul
Thanks Paul. I built a bench and wall unit with cubbies for baskets. We keep our kids stuff in them, trying to stay organized. With 3 little tikes it's not that easy! The box I built for the manometer is an exact replica of the wall unit. I'll get a photo up of it when I get a chance. The wife wasn't too pleased to have a gauge hanging on the wall and piped into the flue to begin with so I had to dress it up nice and make it presentable. I scored a magnehelic gauge so figured why not use it. It looks a bit nicer than the Dwyer Mark II model 25.
Lightning wrote:That's stove looks awesome tcalo! 8-)
Thanks a bunch Lightning.
coalnewbie wrote:TCalo, great minds think alike
Agreed...cn

Hey Paul, I bet he hangs that 109 on his key chain during the summer...
Tom,

Having raised four, that were all two years apart, I can assure you that trying to keep the house "organized", is a fools errand .... to begin with your spelling it wrong - it's more like "agonized". :shock:

No matter what you do, your always out numbered ! :D

Paul

scalabro
Baseburners & Antiques: Crawford 40, PP Stewart No. 14, Abendroth Bros "Record 40"
Coal Size/Type: Stove / Anthracite.
Other Heating: Oil fired, forced hot air.

Post by scalabro » Mon. Oct. 10, 2016 6:19 pm

I lit up yesterday after talking to Joe on the phone saying how I was going to wait until it got COLD.

Hahahahahahah

Attachments

image.jpeg
.JPEG | 83.6KB | image.jpeg

coalnewbie
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: LL AnthraKing 180K, Pocono110K,KStokr 90K, DVC
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Invader 2
Baseburners & Antiques: Wings Best, Glenwood #8(x2) Herald 116x
Coal Size/Type: Rice,
Other Heating: Heating Oil CH, Toyotomi OM 22

Post by coalnewbie » Mon. Oct. 10, 2016 8:14 pm

OK, junior is holding the fort for now. Big brother is watching in case he can't make it. In fact tomorrow he may go out for now. That little stove is as strong as snot when the time is needed. Photos from 2014. RC stove mica is now mended.

You mean people heat their homes some other way??? Get outta here.

Attachments

100_0546.JPG
.JPG | 177.5KB | 100_0546.JPG

joeq
Hand Fed Coal Stove: G111, Southard Robertson

Post by joeq » Mon. Oct. 10, 2016 10:05 pm

scalabro wrote:I lit up yesterday after talking to Joe on the phone saying how I was going to wait until it got COLD.

Hahahahahahah
Funny guy, you "caved" like the rest of em. :lol:
(Actually, I hear we're gunna have our 1st frost tomorrow. But the 70s will be returning during the end of the week.)
And it looks really good Scott.

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Mon. Oct. 10, 2016 11:24 pm

scalabro wrote:I lit up yesterday after talking to Joe on the phone saying how I was going to wait until it got COLD.

Hahahahahahah
Scott,
That looks more a Hubbell Space telescope picture of a remnants of a super nova.

And that stove probably heats almost as well, too. :D

Paul

ddahlgren
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Crane 404

Post by ddahlgren » Tue. Oct. 11, 2016 3:14 pm

SE CT 10/23 and beyond looking at 50's and 40's so getting real close no later at this rate to go beyond 11/1/16. Trying for under 2.5 tons as money is very tight this year. No wood not going there more work than it is worth for a couple of hours.

ddahlgren
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Crane 404

Post by ddahlgren » Sun. Oct. 23, 2016 12:15 am

It is Sunday for me the day or at least morning dedicated to get back into coal burning mode earlier than I wanted it. I may need another ton if it is going to be a mean winter as only have 2 on hand. Fuel oil is cheap but not warm as the walls never get warm to kill drafts in this 1870's place that feels like a screened in porch half the time. Either that or the thermostat is wrong and might be as 38 years old too. I bought the house then in my mid to late 20's and the last time I owed nothing for a mortgage on it. Promising now 50's and as low as mid 30's at night way ahead of time.

KingCoal
Hand Fed Coal Stove: 1 comforter stove works all iron coal box stove, seventies.
Baseburners & Antiques: 2014 DTS C17 Base Burner, GW #6, GW 113 formerly Sir Williams, maybe others at Pauliewog’s I’ve forgotten about
Coal Size/Type: Nut Anth.
Other Heating: none

Post by KingCoal » Sun. Oct. 23, 2016 9:32 am

we have a week or 2 to go it seems but, my threshold is 50* daytime highs and whatever at night too.

happy heating,
steve

joeq
Hand Fed Coal Stove: G111, Southard Robertson

Post by joeq » Sun. Oct. 23, 2016 10:18 am

Same here Steve. I'm thinking of dropping my storm windows down on the double hungs, and swapping out the storm door screens for the glass panes. Don't think there's much chance I'll be needing them at this point. The wind is howling today, and it's almost peak season for the leaves. Looks nice out there, but I'm not looking fwd to collecting all the leaves.:(.
(But I "am" looking fwd to the G111.:))

Bruce M
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine 1627 basement stove

Post by Bruce M » Sun. Oct. 23, 2016 5:29 pm

I'm back to burning, started it on Saturday afternoon. Now with the warmer air, 50*+, I'll just idle along and adjust as needed.
It was nice to wake up with warm floors again.

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”