dlj
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Vermont Castings Resolute
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Baseheater #6
Coal Size/Type: Stove coal
Other Heating: Oil Furnace, electric space heaters

Post by dlj » Sun. Nov. 20, 2016 1:02 pm

waldo lemieux wrote:
dlj wrote:How does it compare to wood?
blogs.sierraclub.org/mrgreen/2010/03/a-burning-wood-vs-electricity-question.html
So all these references don't really tell you the emissions. Two of the papers from the list in the previous thread linked to, gave some data. One, mainly just summary data on carbon dioxide emissions. The Haneke paper had a bit more, but really falls short of needed information, in my opinion. One of the main sources is the publication by the EPA called AP-42, which, while still having some useful information, is quite short on anthracite data.

The above link is interesting, but basically only says wood stoves emit more methane than using coal fired electric generation.

I'm still looking for scientific data showing what the actual emissions are from all the various fuel sources, and certainly, I 'm very interested in anthracite emissions as that's what I burn. Carbon dioxide is a green-house gas, sure, but that's not the only thing we need to worry/think about in emissions from fuel sources. Carbon dioxide is produced by all combustion methods of producing heat, it's part of the fundamental aspects of combustion. I guess there must be some serious political reasons why nobody has published comprehensive data on the actual emissions of all these fuel types...

Thanks for all the links, if you find more please post.

dj

blrman07

Post by blrman07 » Sun. Nov. 20, 2016 1:17 pm

I have always wondered how you measured a gas in pounds of weight. This cleared it up for me. Anthracite coal has the highest carbon content of the fuels. The damage caused by global warming is measured by the amount of carbon that gets in the air. One molecule of carbon bonds with two of oxygen to make CO2. So it just stands to reason that anthracite will be ranked the highest in emissions of CO2 because it has the highest carbon content. Therefore in the science realm it makes anthracite number one on the "most wanted list."

https://www.eia.gov/tools/faqs/faq.cfm?id=73&t=11

SWPaDon
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Clayton 1600M
Coal Size/Type: Bituminous
Other Heating: Oil furnace

Post by SWPaDon » Sun. Nov. 20, 2016 2:29 pm

blrman07 wrote:I have always wondered how you measured a gas in pounds of weight. This cleared it up for me. Anthracite coal has the highest carbon content of the fuels. The damage caused by global warming is measured by the amount of carbon that gets in the air. One molecule of carbon bonds with two of oxygen to make CO2. So it just stands to reason that anthracite will be ranked the highest in emissions of CO2 because it has the highest carbon content. Therefore in the science realm it makes anthracite number one on the "most wanted list."
That's exactly right. So for those who think Anthracite will be spared, think again.

franco b
Site Moderator
Hand Fed Coal Stove: V ermont Castings 2310, Franco Belge 262
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Modern Oak 114
Coal Size/Type: nut and pea

Post by franco b » Sun. Nov. 20, 2016 2:53 pm

Here is a report on Methane which is a far stronger greenhouse gas.

The fixation on carbon dioxide might very well be in error as the main contributor to warming, if such warming exists.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atmospheric_methane

dlj

Post by dlj » Sun. Nov. 20, 2016 3:13 pm

blrman07 wrote:I have always wondered how you measured a gas in pounds of weight. This cleared it up for me. Anthracite coal has the highest carbon content of the fuels. The damage caused by global warming is measured by the amount of carbon that gets in the air. One molecule of carbon bonds with two of oxygen to make CO2. So it just stands to reason that anthracite will be ranked the highest in emissions of CO2 because it has the highest carbon content. Therefore in the science realm it makes anthracite number one on the "most wanted list."

It's really quite a bit more complex than simply the CO2 content. I attach chapter 14 from the 3rd edition of "Flame and Combustion" by Griffiths and Barnard for your reading pleasure.
Chapter_14.pdf
.PDF | 19.8MB | Chapter_14.pdf

blrman07

Post by blrman07 » Sun. Nov. 20, 2016 3:18 pm

methane.....google regulating cow fa-ts and methane reduction and see what you get. California already passed a bill in September regulating cow flatulence.

SWPaDon
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Clayton 1600M
Coal Size/Type: Bituminous
Other Heating: Oil furnace

Post by SWPaDon » Sun. Nov. 20, 2016 3:34 pm

blrman07 wrote:methane.....google regulating cow fa-ts and methane reduction and see what you get. California already passed a bill in September regulating cow flatulence.
And very soon, there will be a tax on people flatulence there, little by little they take your money.

dlj

Post by dlj » Sun. Nov. 20, 2016 3:35 pm

SWPaDon wrote:
blrman07 wrote:methane.....google regulating cow fa-ts and methane reduction and see what you get. California already passed a bill in September regulating cow flatulence.
And very soon, there will be a tax on people flatulence there, little by little they take your money.
I'll stay in the Northeast... Thank you... California regulating cows... now that is amazing...

dj

franco b
Site Moderator
Hand Fed Coal Stove: V ermont Castings 2310, Franco Belge 262
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Modern Oak 114
Coal Size/Type: nut and pea

Post by franco b » Sun. Nov. 20, 2016 8:21 pm

Methane is natural gas. A lot is vented at mines and also lost in transport.

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Sun. Nov. 20, 2016 11:07 pm

franco b wrote:Methane is natural gas. A lot is vented at mines and also lost in transport.
And a lot is vented at land fills.

Paul

Return to “Coal News & General Coal Discussions”