The Fire Is Burning!

rstrawsburg
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 50-93
Coal Size/Type: Nut
Other Heating: Trane Heatpump

Post by rstrawsburg » Mon. Nov. 21, 2016 12:48 pm

I managed to hold off until yesterday. I cleaned up the fly ash from the flue pipes, did a little inspection and lit her up! I did notice a little surface rust on under my hopper door. I need to do something with that if I shut it down before spring next year. I think wire brush and repaint should take care of it but my spring shutdown maintenance routine needs to change. I can't have rust forming in the off season. :mad:

Still loving this coal heat!

-Ron

oliver power
Stoker Coal Boiler: KEYSTOKER Kaa-2
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 50-93 & 30-95, Vigilant (pre-2310), D.S. 1600 Circulator, Hitzer 254

Post by oliver power » Mon. Nov. 21, 2016 1:50 pm

rstrawsburg wrote:I managed to hold off until yesterday. I cleaned up the fly ash from the flue pipes, did a little inspection and lit her up! I did notice a little surface rust on under my hopper door. I need to do something with that if I shut it down before spring next year. I think wire brush and repaint should take care of it but my spring shutdown maintenance routine needs to change. I can't have rust forming in the off season. :mad:

Still loving this coal heat!

-Ron
At shut down, open the hopper door, close the latch, and rest on top of other part of latch. This will hold the gasket off the stove. And yes, clean, paint and/or oil.

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”