Coal Fire Starting in the K-2-4-6-8 and Underfed Coal Stoker

lzaharis
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker KAA-4-1 dual fuel boiler
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: former switzer CWW100-sold
Coal Size/Type: rice
Other Heating: kerosene for dual fuel Keystoker/unused

Post by lzaharis » Tue. Nov. 22, 2016 11:45 am

After finishing the repair of replacing the timer motor on my KAA-4-1 I thought I should pass this along.

I have found that using the cardboard paper towel rolls filled with rice coal is a huge help with fire starting when adding coal to the initial fire start up.

To start the fire I take one half sheet of news print lay it down on the floor(if you have a clear workbench that works too) pour the crushed charcoal briquettes in the toilet paper tube and fill it full with the finely crushed charcoal briquettes(insert four pound hammer here).

After that put the filled toiler paper cardboard tube in the center of the sheet of news print.
You can tape one or both ends of the cardboard toilet paper tube with some scotch tape if needed to prevent spilling of the fine charcoal.

Then roll the tube from the bottom end of the 1/2 news print sheet to the other and then fold the ends over the tube(you can tape them here too if desired.

After you have the fire going on the flat grate stoker you can add one or more of the card board toilet paper tubes filled with rice or buckwheat coal to the fire-please do not get burned when doing this.

You would need 2 or more of them(both coal and charcoal filled tubes on a KAA-6 or KAA-8 I would assume to help the fire get to roaring along. you could also use the paper towel tubes as well for this job and just cut them to length.

"Works for me" as Frederick Dryer used to say on the Television Dramas "Hunter" and Hunter and "McCall" . OH god that dates me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Scottscoaled
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520, 700, Van Wert 800 GJ 61,53
Baseburners & Antiques: Magic Stewart 16, times 2!
Coal Size/Type: Lots of buck
Other Heating: Slant Fin electric boiler backup

Post by Scottscoaled » Tue. Nov. 22, 2016 5:33 pm

Man!!!!! You sure like to do the drama thing. Starting the fire is really just too easy if you use Cowboy Coal. A 20# bag, which last a couple years, is less than $8.00. A little cowboy coal, a little bit of the torch, a little air, add coal and walk away. Sometimes more than a couple minutes. Not usually.

Kungur

Post by Kungur » Wed. Nov. 23, 2016 8:22 am

Cowboy coal work great for me to!

ShawnTRD
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker KA6 (New in April 2014)
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite Rice
Other Heating: Weil Mclain WGO-2 (Net 75k BTU)

Post by ShawnTRD » Sun. Nov. 27, 2016 6:11 pm

I've heard of people using match light charcoal smashed up.

KLook
Other Heating: Wishing it was cold enough for coal here....not really

Post by KLook » Sun. Nov. 27, 2016 8:45 pm

I've heard of people using match light charcoal smashed up.
I never smashed them up and neither does my son. Works just fine.......
however, I like other methods and will suggest the cowboy coal to him.

Kevin

Return to “Stoker Coal Boilers Using Anthracite (Hydronic & Steam)”