Leisure Line Pioneer Stoker Stove

Lightning
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Modified AA 130
Coal Size/Type: Pea Size - Anthracite

Post by Lightning » Sun. Nov. 20, 2016 4:09 pm

My neighbor just bought a brand new Leisure Line Pioneer. He was having problems so knowing I've been into coal for a handful of years he knocked on my door asking for help. He was having trouble keeping it lit and was getting exhaust in the house. I went over to his house and first inspected the chimney, everything looked good I could see the sky with a mirror thru the clean out door. He had stuffed the baro with fiberglass insulation and wrapped the stove pipe joints with duct tape in an attempt to seal the CO leakage into his house, I guess the CO alarm had become a nuisance.

Just as I had arrived he was attempting another fire. It went out again and then another failed attempt while I was there. "Hey Gary, isn't there a way to adjust the combustion air on this? The fire is weak and the stove pipe is cold this isn't adding up." He says, "nope, just this dial for the blower".. "hmm, let me see that light a second so I can look at the combustion blower, and where's the manual?" " oh, it's out in the garage or maybe I threw it out." So as I inspect the combustion blower I find the little hinged flap completely shut. "Holy *censored* Gary, the combustion air flap is completely closed, I can't believe you had a fire in this thing at all!" So I crack the flap open a quarter inch and at the same time he was making another attempt to lite the stoker. "Oh man, yer gonna see a fire in here like you've never seen before. Hold my beer and watch this!" Sure enough, that fire got blazing in a matter of minutes and the chimney draft problem vanished. It's currently pumping out BTU's by the thousands. "Hey, now that the stove pipe is warming up let's get the duct tape off it."

So I ordered a manometer for him, it will be here this week and I'm gonna set it up for him. In the mean time, does anyone have advice on the combustion air flap and coal feed rate settings for the best burn? I told him to tinker with it, making small adjustments till he had about an inch of ash at the end of the grate so that he wasn't pushing good coal off of it.

He helps me with clearing my driveway with his tractor when the snow gets ass hole deep so I'm really happy to pay forward to him.
Last edited by Lightning on Sun. Nov. 20, 2016 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Sun. Nov. 20, 2016 4:12 pm

Too many people buy these things and hook them up half-assed without reading the instructions.
Lightning wrote:So I ordered a manometer for him, it will be here this week and I'm gonna set it up for him. In the mean time, does anyone have advice on the combustion air flap and coal feed rate settings for the best burn?
The Leisure Line manual is very clear about how to set it up. Follow that and you will be fine.

[Link Removed]

Lightning
Site Moderator

Post by Lightning » Sun. Nov. 20, 2016 4:15 pm

Right, and it makes me mad that these retailers don't really do a thorough job explaining the ins and outs as well. He said the salesman didn't tell him much about it. Just make the sale and move on to the next one. And of course his losing of the manual that came with it didn't help us either lol. Thank you Rob, I'll be checking that link!

WNY
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker 90K, Leisure Line Hyfire I
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Post by WNY » Sun. Nov. 20, 2016 5:32 pm

Good job Lee. usually it's something simple. no air, no flame. my LL Hyfire, doesn't even have covers on the combustion air blowers, they just run full open. Just fired it up since it's getting colder. first try, and only 1 starter bag... phew it worked. Sometimes it just dumps into the bucket. I wedge a small piece of wood shim in the tray to keep it from falling off, and then it just burns up when it get going good. LOL

Lightning
Site Moderator

Post by Lightning » Sun. Nov. 20, 2016 7:16 pm

Thanks Dave, yes fortunately it was easy squeezey :) I checked on him just a couple hours ago and he said he had it adjusted so there was an inch of ash at the end of the grate and it was heating well. The stove is in a very spacious block wall basement where he wants to do some wood working this winter. He said he had the basement door open letting some warmth come upstairs.

I think he'll be pretty happy with it now.

titleist1

Post by titleist1 » Sun. Nov. 20, 2016 10:01 pm

Nice assist Lee!! That should be worth a few driveway plowings.

Watch out though, don't spend too much time over there or you may get stoker fever and leave your altered hand fed at the altar!! :P

Lightning
Site Moderator

Post by Lightning » Mon. Nov. 21, 2016 8:16 am

Right lol, I think eventually I might have a Stoker furnace in the basement with a hand fed stove in the living room. I really enjoy taking care of a hand fed. :)

Lightning
Site Moderator

Post by Lightning » Sun. Nov. 27, 2016 5:39 pm

I just wanted to follow up on this thread. Friday morning I took the new manometer over to his house and got it installed. His stoker has been running great since we discovered the combustion air flap and I advised him how to tweak the flap to keep the fire in the center of the grate length instead of falling off the ledge.

He's a happy coal burner now lol

WNY
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker 90K, Leisure Line Hyfire I

Post by WNY » Sun. Nov. 27, 2016 5:55 pm

Lightning wrote:I just wanted to follow up on this thread. Friday morning I took the new manometer over to his house and got it installed. His stoker has been running great since we discovered the combustion air flap and I advised him how to tweak the flap to keep the fire in the center of the grate length instead of falling off the ledge.

He's a happy coal burner now lol
Nice.

the combustion air won't affect too much where it burns, I never adjust adjust the combustion air, my LL stove doesn't even have covers on the blowers. My Keystoker does, set about 1/2 open or so from the factory. it will burn a little hotter with more air flow and of course, keep an eye on the draft, so not to overpressure the stove. most will burn towards the middle or back on idle and creep forward towards the front when calling for heat.

Lightning
Site Moderator

Post by Lightning » Sun. Nov. 27, 2016 7:25 pm

Thank you Dave, that's good to know. I'll relay that information :) That would save a lot of fiddling lol.

Doby
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Alaska Kast console and Alaska Channing III
Other Heating: oil but not much

Post by Doby » Sun. Nov. 27, 2016 9:16 pm

Yep this was a great assist to new comer, congrats Lighting and bet it was fun to do some hands on too

Lightning
Site Moderator

Post by Lightning » Fri. Dec. 30, 2016 8:57 pm

Thanks for all the replies and helpful information.

We've been getting one snow storm after another. He's cleared my 700 foot driveway at least 4 times since the mano instalation. Today I went over to check on him again. The stoker is running great. I tweaked the mano, no CO problems.

Oh, and I furnished him a bottle of spiced rum, 2 bottles of coke, 12 pack bud light and 3 bags of rice coal for his effort on my driveway. Merry Christmas Happy New Year :lol:

Rick 386
Stoker Coal Boiler: AA 260 heating both sides of twin farmhouse
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: LL Hyfire II w/ coaltrol in garage
Coal Size/Type: Pea in AA 260, Rice in LL Hyfire II
Other Heating: Gas fired infared at work

Post by Rick 386 » Sat. Dec. 31, 2016 9:26 am

Lightning wrote:...........

Oh, and I furnished him a bottle of spiced rum, 2 bottles of coke, 12 pack bud light and 3 bags of rice coal for his effort on my driveway. Merry Christmas Happy New Year :lol:
That's pretty cheap to have a driveway plowed......especially where you are located. :beer: :cheers: :shots:

It's nice to have neighbors like you guys are.

Rick

2001Sierra
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker 90 Chimney vent
Other Heating: Buderus Oil Boiler 3115-34

Post by 2001Sierra » Sat. Dec. 31, 2016 12:28 pm

Lightning wrote:Thanks for all the replies and helpful information.

For a minute there I thought Lee was going to do the 12 days of Christmas, like Jeff Foxworthy :lol:

Great work helping a neighbor and friend.

Hambden Bob
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Harman 1998 Magnum Stoker
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Blower Model Coal Chubby 1982-Serial#0097
Coal Size/Type: Rice-A-Roni ! / Nut
Other Heating: Pro-Pain Forced Air

Post by Hambden Bob » Sat. Dec. 31, 2016 3:12 pm

Nice Job,Bread Man !! You've created the Ultimate in Two-Way Street Adventures !!

I'm predicting that after Your Stoker Exposure,You'll be sniffing out a deal on one !! :gee:

Happy New Year,My Coal T-Shirt Friend !! :up:

Return to “Stoker Coal Furnaces & Stoves Using Anthracite (Hot Air)”