Harman Super Magnum Pusher Arm Fork Dimensions

Coalster
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Harman Super Magnum
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite rice

Post by Coalster » Tue. Nov. 29, 2016 11:50 pm

Hi, new to the forum, hoping for some advice. I am having feeding issues (after four years of no problem operation and using same Coal as always). I am thinking pusher arm fork may be bent. Dealer told me spread should be 1 3/4" and parallel. Problem is, it is parallel at 2", and the mechanism that drives it measures 2" across. My thinking is that if I crimp it down to 1 3/4", it won't be parallel. And it will be too tight for the driving mechanism to spin inside if it. I know the Harman Magnum fork measures 1 3/4" inside, but wondering if the Super Mag has different dimensions, and if anybody knows what that spread should be. It is definitely a slightly different setup from the Magnum, , but I can't find the dimensions in the manual or anywhere else I've searched. Dealer can't come look at it until next Wed, and it is winter here, so hoping for some ideas Thanks for any help!
Last edited by Coalster on Wed. Nov. 30, 2016 8:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

SWPaDon
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Clayton 1600M
Coal Size/Type: Bituminous
Other Heating: Oil furnace

Post by SWPaDon » Wed. Nov. 30, 2016 4:57 am

Welcome to the forum, coalster. I'm sure someone will be along soon with an answer.
If you could add your location to your profile, it would help us to help you. We have members from Canada to New Zealand and a lot of them rebuild stoves. Who knows, one of our members may live within a few miles of you and have a spare part on hand.

Coalster

Post by Coalster » Wed. Nov. 30, 2016 8:42 am

Thanks - will add my location (Danville PA) to profile.

McGiever
Stoker Coal Boiler: AXEMAN-ANDERSON 130 "1959"
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: BUCKET A DAY water heater
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning 414A
Coal Size/Type: PEA,NUT,STOVE /ANTHRACITE
Other Heating: Ground Source Heat Pump and some Solar

Post by McGiever » Wed. Nov. 30, 2016 8:55 am

There is another source for that answer...AHS Legacy Stoves :idea:

Coalster

Post by Coalster » Wed. Nov. 30, 2016 3:57 pm

Thanks for that - I called them, they couldn't remember for sure if it was 1 7/8 or 2, but mine is exactly parallel at 2, so I think it is not the issue. I also located the set screw in the shaft on the motor mount assembly, and it is tight. Does anybody have any other ideas why this stove might not be feeding properly?

McGiever
Stoker Coal Boiler: AXEMAN-ANDERSON 130 "1959"
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: BUCKET A DAY water heater
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning 414A
Coal Size/Type: PEA,NUT,STOVE /ANTHRACITE
Other Heating: Ground Source Heat Pump and some Solar

Post by McGiever » Wed. Nov. 30, 2016 4:15 pm

Coalster wrote: Does anybody have any other ideas why this stove might not be feeding properly?
Not sure you described the "not be feeding properly" symptom to us, only the fork issue. ;)

PS: Don't pay the dealer for a service call if he hasn't even the correct part to replace it with. :mad:

titleist1

Post by titleist1 » Wed. Nov. 30, 2016 4:20 pm

Can you give a little more details on 'not feeding properly'? I only ever have had two feed issues with my older regular mag and that was due to wet coal in one instance and another time a piece of nut coal blocking the feeder somewhat. Any other 'issues' due to different coal characteristics were adjusted out by changing the feed screw setting.

Not sure if the new super mag has the indicator on the side that shows the length of the feed block movement, but are you able to verify the block is actually moving the set distance?

one other thought, a friend with an older mag stoker had 'feed issues' when he didn't get the grates set properly on the back ledge after cleaning the holes. They were sitting up just slightly higher than they should have been and the coal wouldn't get pushed over the resulting ridge as it normally would have.

Coalster

Post by Coalster » Wed. Nov. 30, 2016 6:04 pm

Ok. Long description, but here goes:
Initially a few days ago I noticed that the coal did not seem to be feeding sufficiently onto the grates. When the feed motor would kick on, I would see the coal push up from in the hopper, but not as far as usual, and I would see the level drop back when the pusher was pulled back again. This led me shut down and empty out to look for an obstruction. I found a small (about 1"diameter) rock that was very scraped and worn, so had probably been hindering the push bar repeatedly. I removed the rock, reloaded and restarted. Burned ok at first during high demand, but after settling into a coast, I noticed the level dropping at the back again, and could see the same level rising (but not enough), then dropping (too much) - one step forward, 1/2 step back type of deal. It was keeping a fire, but slowly losing ground. I shut down, emptied out again to be sure all obstruction gone. Push bar moves fine in test mode, but I'm not sure if it is moving its regular distance (I assume not). I restarted again with same exact results. This is what led me to believe that the fork had widened, but it hasn't. My other thought was set screw on motor loose, but it is not. I feel like something must be bent or slipping, causing the push bar to make a too-short push, or that it is sitting too far back. There is no adjustment behind the push bar on the Super Mag. Grates are properly positioned, same coal I've always used, and coal is bone dry always.

titleist1

Post by titleist1 » Wed. Nov. 30, 2016 11:13 pm

Sorry but I am no help on the Super mag controls. There are a few here with super mags that should be along to help out. There's too many electrons making feed rate decisions between the ESP and the circuit board on that model for my brain to figure out - I am a simple timer/thermostat kinda guy!

captcaper

Post by captcaper » Sat. Dec. 03, 2016 8:23 pm

Did you clean out the hooper completely? sometimes a large chunk can get into the feed. Also there is a set screw on the feed motor shaft to lock it on to the rod to the feeding mechanism that can be loose. There is a flat spot on the rod that the set screw gets tightened down to. .

Coalster

Post by Coalster » Mon. Dec. 05, 2016 8:35 pm

Yes I did empty out completely. I checked the set screw, and it seems tight. I am at a loss. Guy from the shop where I bought the stove is coming Wed, I'll let you all know what happens. I can't wait to have it up and running - it's cold using just the propane - not at all the same kind of heat.

captcaper

Post by captcaper » Tue. Dec. 06, 2016 8:13 am

Coalster wrote:Yes I did empty out completely. I checked the set screw, and it seems tight. I am at a loss. Guy from the shop where I bought the stove is coming Wed, I'll let you all know what happens. I can't wait to have it up and running - it's cold using just the propane - not at all the same kind of heat.
Hopefully he knows Coal stoves.. so many Harman dealers don't sell Coal here in NH.. only Pellets. If the bar widened I would think it would still push it the full length. Bent maybe but you would see it.. I'm wondering if the grates are plugged or the blower motor is loaded with dust so the temp and feed computer get's confused.. takes time to level itself out as you know.
When I first got the Super Mag after coming off a hand fired for over 20 yrs I though something was busted..ended up being some chunks down in the hopper.. my point is there might be something simple your overlooking or not doing. Or giving it time to adjust.
I can't help much here I have not had to deal with my feeder much do to excellent service from it. Only time I had issue was when I was a newbee and there were chunks that got by me blocking the Rice from dropping to the push area. I learned at first feed issue to clean out the hopper totally and into the grate area to check for blockage.

Coalster

Post by Coalster » Wed. Dec. 07, 2016 8:14 pm

Tech guy from dealer where I bought my stove came today, could not find anything wrong. Stove is fired back up, he said to call him if it acts up again, but all looks good. So far it is doing ok, not dropping off at the back like it was before. Hopefully all will be good from here out - if not, I'll re post. A big thanks to all of you who replied! BTW, if anybody else ever needs to know, and stumbles across this post, the proper fork width for the Harman Magnum is indeed 2".

SWPaDon
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Clayton 1600M
Coal Size/Type: Bituminous
Other Heating: Oil furnace

Post by SWPaDon » Wed. Dec. 07, 2016 8:21 pm

I'm glad that there was nothing wrong with the stove. Let's hope it never does it again though. Thank you for following up and for posting the measurement as it just may help someone in the future.

captcaper

Post by captcaper » Thu. Dec. 08, 2016 8:35 am

I knew it was human error... I think you just let the stove get to you... it takes a while to get itself in the flow... Feed rates,etc. Love the Super Mag... keeps my home within a degree.. no matter what the temp swing outside.

Return to “Stoker Coal Furnaces & Stoves Using Anthracite (Hot Air)”