Manometer

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Thu. Dec. 08, 2016 7:35 am

I use mine for down draft mostly. Even when tending I sometimes don't open the MPD & it effects it not. YES, I have one hell of a draw. It does keep more heat in the stove & pipe below MPD. I can put my hand above & feel a big difference then below. Different set-ups--different needs.

ddahlgren
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Crane 404

Post by ddahlgren » Thu. Dec. 08, 2016 7:56 am

freetown fred wrote:I use mine for down draft mostly. Even when tending I sometimes don't open the MPD & it effects it not. YES, I have one hell of a draw. It does keep more heat in the stove & pipe below MPD. I can put my hand above & feel a big difference then below. Different set-ups--different needs.
I only have 11 feet from stove to end of double wall on roof so have to pay attention.

freetown fred

Post by freetown fred » Thu. Dec. 08, 2016 8:21 am

I guess my point being, you're doing fine with a stove you're real familiar with. Don't let them thar numbers get to ya. :)

ddahlgren

Post by ddahlgren » Thu. Dec. 08, 2016 8:39 am

You got it Fred it works it heats over the last few years figured out what it can and can't do along with most of the ways to lose the fire.

It is a stove that is very easy to fall behind on with tending and if you do you have a bit of work to do. I have found to catch up and right or wrong is to do a normal tending with shake clear grates from bottom get it filled up and going then repeat in a few hour maybe 4 as more ash and soft clinkers show up on the bottom again. I have no idea how they work their way to the bottom and honestly don't care how they get there. All I know is I have to keep after it until it does not happen and then go back to normal tending times.

For me those are 12 hours at 250 stove top, 9 or 10 at 300 and 7 to 8 at 350 to 400. I do run the blower built in at night and when very cold a window fan on the floor blowing cold air at the stove. I suspect if turned them off the stove temp would go up a bunch.

If I had 1 fantasy it would be to have rotating prismatic grates that actually chew up ash and move it to the ash pan. The ones I have tht move up and down just don't get it done.

ddahlgren

Post by ddahlgren » Fri. Dec. 09, 2016 3:42 pm

New coal stove tending rule for me at least! Never go to bed with a full ash pan as at 5 am you will hate yourself... LOL

Keepaeyeonit
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood #8
Coal Size/Type: Nut & stove
Other Heating: 49 year old oil furnace, and finally a new heat pump

Post by Keepaeyeonit » Fri. Dec. 09, 2016 5:00 pm

:lol: :lol: and it took you how long to figure that one out :?: :D

ddahlgren

Post by ddahlgren » Fri. Dec. 09, 2016 5:26 pm

Keepaeyeonit wrote::lol: :lol: and it took you how long to figure that one out :?: :D
Way too long but health reasons jumped in the way now no matter how uncomfortable empty ash pan!

freetown fred

Post by freetown fred » Fri. Dec. 09, 2016 5:35 pm

Not to worry DD, last season I did mine pretty much on a walker!! A mans gotta do what a mans gotta do!! ;)

Keepaeyeonit
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood #8
Coal Size/Type: Nut & stove
Other Heating: 49 year old oil furnace, and finally a new heat pump

Post by Keepaeyeonit » Fri. Dec. 09, 2016 6:50 pm

ddahlgren wrote:
Keepaeyeonit wrote::lol: :lol: and it took you how long to figure that one out :?: :D
Way too long but health reasons jumped in the way now no matter how uncomfortable empty ash pan!
Well thats a good reason in my book, carry on :)

windyhill4.2
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1960 EFM520 installed in truck box
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Crane 404 with variable blower
Coal Size/Type: 404-nut, 520 rice ,anthracite for both

Post by windyhill4.2 » Fri. Dec. 09, 2016 8:05 pm

ddahlgren wrote:You got it Fred it works it heats over the last few years figured out what it can and can't do along with most of the ways to lose the fire.

It is a stove that is very easy to fall behind on with tending and if you do you have a bit of work to do. I have found to catch up and right or wrong is to do a normal tending with shake clear grates from bottom get it filled up and going then repeat in a few hour maybe 4 as more ash and soft clinkers show up on the bottom again. I have no idea how they work their way to the bottom and honestly don't care how they get there. All I know is I have to keep after it until it does not happen and then go back to normal tending times.

For me those are 12 hours at 250 stove top, 9 or 10 at 300 and 7 to 8 at 350 to 400. I do run the blower built in at night and when very cold a window fan on the floor blowing cold air at the stove. I suspect if turned them off the stove temp would go up a bunch.

If I had 1 fantasy it would be to have rotating prismatic grates that actually chew up ash and move it to the ash pan. The ones I have tht move up and down just don't get it done.
DD, are you sure you have a Crane 404 ?? You describe a different stove than my 404 !! I just fired it last nite,some newspaper,some cardboard & small bits of scrap wood,got the wood burning,sprinkled Gale nut over the fire,after enough coal lit,i filled the stove,went to bed with the temp @ 400*12 hrs later,this am it was 375*.Tended it this am,400* all day,tonite,tended it again,easy.

ddahlgren

Post by ddahlgren » Sat. Dec. 10, 2016 7:59 am

windyhill4.2 wrote:
ddahlgren wrote:You got it Fred it works it heats over the last few years figured out what it can and can't do along with most of the ways to lose the fire.

DD, are you sure you have a Crane 404 ?? You describe a different stove than my 404 !! I just fired it last nite,some newspaper,some cardboard & small bits of scrap wood,got the wood burning,sprinkled Gale nut over the fire,after enough coal lit,i filled the stove,went to bed with the temp @ 400*12 hrs later,this am it was 375*.Tended it this am,400* all day,tonite,tended it again,easy.
I suspect 400F with the blower on is firing a measurable amount higher than 400F with it off. It might be a difference in coal and the type and amount of ash it makes.

I have one of these...
IMG_0992.JPG
.JPG | 72.7KB | IMG_0992.JPG

windyhill4.2
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1960 EFM520 installed in truck box
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Crane 404 with variable blower
Coal Size/Type: 404-nut, 520 rice ,anthracite for both

Post by windyhill4.2 » Sat. Dec. 10, 2016 8:32 am

That pic looks very similar to mine :) I rarely use the blower ,like coalvet says,the blower cools the ends of the stove & makes a different burn pattern as compared to the middle of the firepot.

ddahlgren

Post by ddahlgren » Sat. Dec. 10, 2016 12:26 pm

windyhill4.2 wrote:That pic looks very similar to mine :) I rarely use the blower ,like coalvet says,the blower cools the ends of the stove & makes a different burn pattern as compared to the middle of the firepot.
I run the blower for that reason as mine ashes up the ends first then the front next.

The stove is really too small for this leaky old house and I am not well enough off cash wise to tighten it up to 2016 standards where it would be very easy to heat. Not sure what I would really need to heat and get 12 hours in really cold weather (we had around 20F last night and the same for tonight) or how I would get that heat to a useful place in the house. The house in 1874 was originally heated with several small coal stoves and not one clue as to where they were placed and how furniture was worked around them. I know there were 2 on the first floor and 1 on the second floor and 1 in walk out side of basement for a total of 4 and must have kept someone busy LOL. Later converted to a Holland warm air furnace hand fired coal and I am the idiot that torn out that furnace along with the coal bin that still had a coal shovel in it. At this point all I can do is keep plugging along the best I can.

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”