Heating Large Shop in Alaska W/ Sequoyah Outdoor Boiler

CapeCoaler
Stoker Coal Boiler: want AA130
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine BS#4, Harman MKII, Hitzer 503,...
Coal Size/Type: Pea/Nut/Stove

Post by CapeCoaler » Fri. Dec. 02, 2016 9:19 pm

Please sir may I have some more... ;)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YR5ApYxkU-U

AlaskaCoal1
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Sequoya Outdoor boiler
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman TLC, Warm Morning 500
Baseburners & Antiques: Beckwith Round Oak
Coal Size/Type: Alaska Sub Bit Lump

Post by AlaskaCoal1 » Sat. Dec. 03, 2016 1:35 am

I work on Clear Air Force Station. We use to heat the entire base and produce all our own electricity with Coal... Rail car loads full of it. The boiler guys were not a ton of help since they were use to steam and a much different system but they told me the same thing as Izaharis... put brick in to keep the heat up and the brick will even out the temps transferred and reduce hot spots. They said initially it might suffer until I build up the temps of the firebrick but once I did the fire would be hotter. It is worth a try but I have to get the brick and the channel iron to make that happen and find a day that is milder so I can take the boiler down for a while.

As far as overcoming the cold in the shop I might have an option to acquire anFrost Fighter construction heater OHV 500. 420K Btus. These are usually set up outside and with a vent tube to pump air in to construction sites so they can work. I was thinking ... Why could I not just put that in the shop and hook the 6 inch vent to the chimney and let it draft that way while it pumps away to help me overcome the cold in the shop. They are terribly inefficient ... something like 3-4 gal an hour BUT at 420K it should heat up quickly. Any thoughts on this as a way to overcome my cold barn so the boiler can go to work. I would assume venting this way would be ok and would allow me to work in there as well while heating up. The bullet heater I have is 200K but the fumes are horrific. I would have to buy this Frost fighter and it is 300 miles away so before I go down to get it I would want to ensure it would work... otherwise it is just a 420K bullet heater that I really do not need. My indoor chimney is an 8 inch that is 23 feet tall double wall pipe for 14 feet then stainless out the roof.

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Sat. Dec. 03, 2016 6:17 am

If you are going to burn heating oil, you might as well put an oil furnace in the shop and vent it through that chimney.

AlaskaCoal1

Post by AlaskaCoal1 » Sat. Dec. 03, 2016 11:31 am

Rob.. not planning on burning heating oil. Way to expensive... I am coal heating all the way. I do have oil backup in my home but try to burn very little ... I am cheap that way. I was just thinking this would be a good way to overcome the excessive cold in the barn so the boiler could catch up. I am just not sure if the Frost Fighter will vent this way... I see no reason that it would not. I am not sure what kind of draft it would take to vent it but it is basically a oil furnace just portable. I just don't want to drive all that way pay the money to find out that it does not work then I have another bullet heater... wife would kill me.

franco b
Site Moderator
Hand Fed Coal Stove: V ermont Castings 2310, Franco Belge 262
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Modern Oak 114
Coal Size/Type: nut and pea

Post by franco b » Sat. Dec. 03, 2016 5:14 pm

If you have wood available, you could consider a double barrell kit for emergency and temporary heat.

http://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/search/barrel%20wood%20stove%20kit

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Sat. Dec. 03, 2016 5:29 pm

Pretty easy to make one. I heated my 30X40 shop w/ a double barrel set up for yrs. in Vt.

SWPaDon
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Clayton 1600M
Coal Size/Type: Bituminous
Other Heating: Oil furnace

Post by SWPaDon » Sat. Dec. 03, 2016 5:30 pm

I had a double barrel stove in my garage for several years, it work really well.

Olllotj
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker KB-8
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat
Other Heating: Utica Propane Hot Water

Post by Olllotj » Sun. Dec. 04, 2016 11:16 am

Are you catching up at all yet? I can't help but think you may need more radiation.

AlaskaCoal1

Post by AlaskaCoal1 » Mon. Dec. 05, 2016 3:20 am

AlaskaCoal1

Post by AlaskaCoal1 » Mon. Dec. 05, 2016 3:28 am

"New" Warm Morning 500

I have not starting catching up yet I had to work the weekend or most of it. .. brutally cold this weekend -35 right now and did not get above -29 today. Barn was at 12 most of the day though (positive thoughts) My bullet heater went on the fritz so I spent what I had of the day to work on it... Finally got it working so maybe tomorrow can pump some heat to the barn... fumes are terrible though.

A few post up I mentioned a Frost Fighter and venting it through chimney... no takers on the feasibility of this working. Basically the same as my Dewalt bullet heater ... except 2x the BTUs and NO fumes if the vent works out.

The link above is some pics I have on a Warm Morning I stumbled across in an old barn that we recently bought. Rough yes... but if it works that is another way to add some heat. Lots of pics on the last page of that thread... planning on trying to get that up and running this week after work (at night) Feel free to make suggestions there as well... did not post pics here to keep the threads cleaner and easier to search.

AlaskaCoal1

Post by AlaskaCoal1 » Mon. Dec. 05, 2016 3:29 am

Pay no attention to this meant for the Warm morning thread...

lsayre
Stoker Coal Boiler: AHS S130 Coal Gun
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh Anthracite Pea
Other Heating: Resistance Boiler (13.5 KW), ComfortMax 75

Post by lsayre » Mon. Dec. 05, 2016 1:48 pm

SWPaDon wrote:I had a double barrel stove in my garage for several years, it work really well.
At our previous house we had one in our central to the home formal ( :D ) dining room. It worked great and was our exclusive means of heat for the house until our insurance man made an unannounced visit told us he would cancel our homeowners insurance if I didn't get rid of it ASAP.

lzaharis
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker KAA-4-1 dual fuel boiler
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: former switzer CWW100-sold
Coal Size/Type: rice
Other Heating: kerosene for dual fuel Keystoker/unused

Post by lzaharis » Thu. Dec. 08, 2016 9:47 am

Good Morning Alaskacoal,

Was that crazy looking Champion ignitor plug the problem on your torpedo heater?
That is what happened to mine before the motor finally crapped out a couple of
years later and they wanted $300.00 for a replacement motor.

I bought a new torpedo heater and it was 25,000 more BTU (125,000) and a Multi Fuel Unit that can burn Clear or dyed K1, K2, high cetane number diesel fuel, JP1, JP2, JP3, JP4, JP5, I have lots of options for fuel if and when or if I don't have the K1 to use.

Now I have to get out of my warm house :( :( and fire up the salamander and melt all the ice and snow off the mule and snow caster to mount it and then install the snow chains.

AlaskaCoal1

Post by AlaskaCoal1 » Thu. Dec. 08, 2016 11:01 am

Izaharis--- nope that was not the problem. It was a cracked fuel line that was sucking air. The crack did not present itself until the unit warmed up inside some... on first review it looked ok because the lines were cold and stiff but once it warmed up they relaxed and there it was... of course not until I had trouble shot other issues and drained the fuel in -35.

By the way safety note for those that do not know this... BE CAREFUL handling fuels in cold weather... the fuel takes on the same temp as the outside... hence -35 outside = very cold fuel and will instantly frost bite and can cause serious injury.

Qtown1835
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker '81 KA4 (online 1/16/17)
Coal Size/Type: WAS Lehigh Rice (TBD)
Other Heating: EFM SPK600

Post by Qtown1835 » Thu. Dec. 08, 2016 2:47 pm

AlaskaCoal1 wrote: By the way safety note for those that do not know this... BE CAREFUL handling fuels in cold weather... the fuel takes on the same temp as the outside... hence -35 outside = very cold fuel and will instantly frost bite and can cause serious injury.
Wow. I would have never thought of that! I hope you didnt learn the hard way...

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Boilers & Hot Air Furnaces/Stoves Using Bituminous”