Adding Humidity

ddahlgren
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Crane 404

Post by ddahlgren » Thu. Dec. 08, 2016 12:51 pm

joeq wrote:So are we saying the device can be hidden anywhere, out of site, and said "moisture will travel"?
Gut feeling would say closest to driest place best and let it migrate to less dry places rather than the other way around. It will balance but it is not instant either.

joeq
Hand Fed Coal Stove: G111, Southard Robertson

Post by joeq » Thu. Dec. 08, 2016 1:09 pm

My driest place would be near the stove Dave. Probably wouldn't want to be with-in a few feet of it, but then, in the living room, there's not much space. The only wall space open for us, would be in the up-stairs bathroom, but I guess that would be considered a "wet" room. (It also houses the washer and dryer). A bedroom would work, but they're all individuals, and not sure how well the humidity would travel. Have to look harder I guess.

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Thu. Dec. 08, 2016 1:45 pm

House plants can help add moisture. Especially ones with lots of long leaves.

I have 13 spider plants and about 10 other types of plants spread out in many of the non-stove rooms and hallways on each floor. A couple of spider plants and a couple of other plants in my bed room.

The spider plants by far transform the most water into air moisture. They are very easy to grow- even for someone like me who is not good at growing plants. Very light and drought tolerant - they grow well in shade or sunlight and there's no need to water them if you go away for a few weeks. They suck up water quickly, grow fairly quickly, and have lots of long leaves to give off moisture.

An added bonus is that spider plants are also good at filtering out indoor pollution and CO2, which they turn it into oxygen.

Just going by how much it takes to water them, they add about 4 gallons a week throughout the house in winter. In summer they only need to be watered less than half that so they are very environment adaptable.

Paul

oros35
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Cozeburn OWB burning Bit
Baseburners & Antiques: 1912 Smith & Anthony Hub Heater #215

Post by oros35 » Thu. Dec. 08, 2016 2:20 pm

I had a 2 gallon garden sprayer that I would use to spray down the walls and floor around my stove (brick and concrete/ceramic tile) I could get 2 gallons a day easily into the air. Everything was dry again in half hour or less. I only noticed a short term change in humidity based on a couple electronic temp/humidity thingy's I had set around the house. Probably cause it got absorbed into everything dry really quick.

Now I know that wasn't the best way of doing it, probably left some residue, and my wife looked at me like I was nuts....

I gave up on that method cause it was time consuming, and I only have so many more chances before the wife puts me in the loony bin...

Sunny Boy

Post by Sunny Boy » Thu. Dec. 08, 2016 2:38 pm

Another way to increase indoor moisture levels (and save money while doing it), is to rig some indoor clothes lines.

A load of laundry holds a lot of water. That water either goes out through the dryer hose, which costs you money to do, or it can slowly be releasing that water indoors by hanging the clothes up to air dry. And your clothes will last longer by not banging around in a dryer for so long and eventually winding up in the lint trap.

After they line dry, I just tumble the clothes in the dryer on cool setting for about 5 minutes to soften them up.

Paul

joeq

Post by joeq » Thu. Dec. 08, 2016 3:27 pm

So let me get this straight men, if I buy a couple live Christmas trees, put one on each side of the living room, string a line between them, have my girls hang all their laundry on them, and lastly, hook up a sprayer to my garden hose, to water the trees, then I should achieve the highest level of humidity that my little farmhouse will need? :)

scalabro
Baseburners & Antiques: Crawford 40, PP Stewart No. 14, Abendroth Bros "Record 40"
Coal Size/Type: Stove / Anthracite.
Other Heating: Oil fired, forced hot air.

Post by scalabro » Thu. Dec. 08, 2016 3:38 pm

Sunny Boy wrote:Another way to increase indoor moisture levels (and save money while doing it), is to rig some indoor clothes lines.

A load of laundry holds a lot of water. That water either goes out through the dryer hose, which costs you money to do, or it can slowly be releasing that water indoors by hanging the clothes up to air dry. And your clothes will last longer by not banging around in a dryer for so long and eventually winding up in the lint trap.

After they line dry, I just tumble the clothes in the dryer on cool setting for about 5 minutes to soften them up.

Paul
Ding Ding Ding Bingo!

We have four of those wooden "accordion" type collapsible racks. I just put em in front of the stove :lol:

joeq

Post by joeq » Thu. Dec. 08, 2016 3:44 pm

Thanks for reminding me. I just inherited 2 of those, and had to fix one, after the wife forced it, and broke the top locking bar. :x

Sunny Boy

Post by Sunny Boy » Thu. Dec. 08, 2016 3:49 pm

joeq wrote:So let me get this straight men, if I buy a couple live Christmas trees, put one on each side of the living room, string a line between them, have my girls hang all their laundry on them, and lastly, hook up a sprayer to my garden hose, to water the trees, then I should achieve the highest level of humidity that my little farmhouse will need? :)
Don't forget to add the waterfall to the fish pond in the family room. :D

Paul

coaledsweat
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260M
Coal Size/Type: Pea

Post by coaledsweat » Thu. Dec. 08, 2016 3:59 pm

It travels well in open space, closed doors and walls, not so much.

joeq

Post by joeq » Thu. Dec. 08, 2016 4:02 pm

coaledsweat wrote:It travels well in open space, closed doors and walls, not so much.
Are you talkin about the "fish pond"?, or humidity? :lol:

Sunny Boy

Post by Sunny Boy » Thu. Dec. 08, 2016 5:23 pm

joeq wrote:
coaledsweat wrote:It travels well in open space, closed doors and walls, not so much.
Are you talkin about the "fish pond"?, or humidity? :lol:
Yes !

Paul

ddahlgren
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Crane 404

Post by ddahlgren » Fri. Dec. 09, 2016 12:03 am

Sunny Boy wrote:House plants can help add moisture. Especially ones with lots of long leaves.

I have 13 spider plants and about 10 other types of plants spread out in many of the non-stove rooms and hallways on each floor. A couple of spider plants and a couple of other plants in my bed room.

The spider plants by far transform the most water into air moisture. They are very easy to grow- even for someone like me who is not good at growing plants. Very light and drought tolerant - they grow well in shade or sunlight and there's no need to water them if you go away for a few weeks. They suck up water quickly, grow fairly quickly, and have lots of long leaves to give off moisture.

An added bonus is that spider plants are also good at filtering out indoor pollution and CO2, which they turn it into oxygen.

Just going by how much it takes to water them, they add about 4 gallons a week throughout the house in winter. In summer they only need to be watered less than half that so they are very environment adaptable.

Paul
I have a vine sort of plant though not a spider plant that has out lasted 2 girl friends and an ex wife LOL. Likes one spot on the kitchen counter and if moved more than a few inches wilts.

RRBoy
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 254
Coal Size/Type: Sometimes you feel like a nut.....

Post by RRBoy » Sat. Dec. 10, 2016 10:54 am

dang it, now you've gone and made me pull of my psychrometric chart and my wet and dry bulb thermometers.... you can't calculate Relative Humidity w/o knowing the adiabatic saturation temperature after all... :roll:

been a while since I did a manual relative humidity calculation! Now I'm wondering what the dewpoint is in here :D , don't want interior precipitation if the room cools off too much overnight!

P.S., I'm a BLAST at parties!

joeq

Post by joeq » Sat. Dec. 10, 2016 11:55 pm

"Went right over my head" double R. But I hope you can simplify them calculations. (Where's Lee, he'll help you out) :lol:
Tomorrow, me and my girls will be bringing home a fresh cut tree, so maybe that'll help some? Then, when we decorate, we'll put up wet laundry, rather than ornaments. (Yeah. That'll go over big.) :D

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”