LL AA-220 Relocation

swyman
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman-Anderson 260M Leisure Line AA-220 Boiler (FOR SALE)
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh Pea

Post by swyman » Thu. Oct. 27, 2016 12:11 am

Guys....just for the record this is NOT a shop. I was fortunate enough to purchase my grandfathers shop that is across the street from my house. 50'x100' with attached office, 2 bathrooms, 10k 2 post car lift, 3 ton P&H overhead crane that spans the whole building, and 600A 3 phase service. All my tools, welders, equipment is over there. Only downside to that is heating.....have a 400k BTU diesel furnace but I'm not over there everyday and it will bring the temp up very quickly so I have just stuck with it. If I were over there everyday, we would probably be adding another coal boiler! Some of you may remember but my shop is where my grandfather and cousin started the Grizzly Stove Company. I believe they started in '75 then by '78ish had out grown the building and had to move to town to a larger facility. So needless to say everyone in my family had a Grizzly stove in their house and my Grandpa, uncle, and myself supplied the wood for everyone. Which is why I'm not a huge fan, have had my share of cutting wood! Anyone out there ever have one of these stoves? Probably not being on a coal site!

swyman

Post by swyman » Thu. Oct. 27, 2016 12:13 am

Rob R. wrote:
Put the boiler where it simplifies the coal & ash handling. Beyond that, if moving it one way or the other reduces the amount of system and/or flue pipe, do that.
Is it always better to have the flue pipe as short as possible or could I make the run a little longer to try and reclaim more heat?

lzaharis
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker KAA-4-1 dual fuel boiler
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: former switzer CWW100-sold
Coal Size/Type: rice
Other Heating: kerosene for dual fuel Keystoker/unused

Post by lzaharis » Thu. Oct. 27, 2016 1:19 am

Hello Swyman,

It all depends on how much room you have for the installation
and what your clearances are as required by the plumbing code.

Any heat that escapes will keep the basement warmer and less
humid if you do not pour a concrete floor for the entire basement.

You have to set the boiler where it going in the best location and to
allow easy access to load the hopper too.

Right now I am overheating my place because the spouse wanted
the coal heat to run-I wanted to wait till it got colder as the house
overheats but the spouses new tiny dog kinda runs things......

SO I have the pusher plate stroke set at 6 threads and the Honeywell triple
aquastat set at 160 high-140 low with a 15 degree differential and 180 degrees on the L6006A
with 1.5 minutes every ten minutes on the hold fire timer.

I have heat that is all that matters and she is moving the coal and ashes
as I am on restricted activity due to my cataract surgery.

swyman

Post by swyman » Thu. Nov. 17, 2016 12:05 am

While I have been waiting for the addition to be completed I fired the boiler up....about 4-6 weeks ago??? I didn't pay attention but have burned through my first tote (ton) of Lehigh Rice. I bought rice and buck and was thinking of switching over to buck on my next tote to see how it runs through this boiler? It is rated to burn it but I have no experience so I thought this maybe a good time to see how it burns or should I save it for colder weather?

lzaharis
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker KAA-4-1 dual fuel boiler
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: former switzer CWW100-sold
Coal Size/Type: rice
Other Heating: kerosene for dual fuel Keystoker/unused

Post by lzaharis » Thu. Nov. 17, 2016 1:34 am

swyman wrote:While I have been waiting for the addition to be completed I fired the boiler up....about 4-6 weeks ago??? I didn't pay attention but have burned through my first tote (ton) of Lehigh Rice. I bought rice and buck and was thinking of switching over to buck on my next tote to see how it runs through this boiler? It is rated to burn it but I have no experience so I thought this maybe a good time to see how it burns or should I save it for colder weather?
======================================================================================================================================================

Hello Swyman,

I would call Matt at LL and ask him. You may need to slow the stoker,
open the shutters on the forced draft fans to increase the combustion air
for the stoker and readjust the power venter and the feed gate in the hopper
too as the coal is larger in size too.

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Thu. Nov. 17, 2016 5:35 am

Or...you may not have to adjust anything. More than likely you may be able to slightly close the air shutters when burning buck. Regardless, I would wait until colder weather before you start burning it.

blrman07

Post by blrman07 » Thu. Nov. 17, 2016 6:23 am

If your skittish, add one 5 gallon bucket and watch it when it gets to it. My suspicion is that nothing will happen and you will be just fine. I am not a big fan of waiting to cold weather to try things. I prefer to try things out before it gets cold and I NEED the heat. :mad:

swyman

Post by swyman » Thu. Nov. 17, 2016 7:08 am

blrman07 wrote:If your skittish, add one 5 gallon bucket and watch it when it gets to it. I am not a big fan of waiting to cold weather to try things.
I will do the bucket test, I am with ya on trying new things on the fly which is why I posted the question!

swyman

Post by swyman » Tue. Dec. 06, 2016 3:18 am

Been a while since I have updated but things are progressing at a snails pace. Weather, builder having too many big jobs and not enough help have not played in my favor but I'm ok with it for once! The roof, windows, and door have been installed. Siding will be here in 2 weeks, still need doorway cut in existing basement connecting the two so I can get going on the electric and HVAC. I'm burning coal (lots of it) and we are warm and happy. I'm not sure where it went but I started burning my 2nd tote of rice on November 19th and today I should empty it. I have not turned on the loop to the attached house garage yet and last week I shut off the domestic hot water heat exchanger but have noticed little if any change. One thing that has changed is the barn where the boiler sits. I finally put the house wrap and steel siding on and now it has been staying in the low 70's in there!!! I think it's time to throw some insulation on the exposed steel on the boiler and try to keep that heat in! Anyone know where I can get that stuff that came with the boiler? It's about 1" thick and has like a foil on one side or what do you recommend? I'm going to burn one more tote of rice before I switch over to buck. I hope to see some difference between the two. I think I will just ride this season out where the boiler is so I'm not rushing anything when I move it to the house. I want to take my time and really think everything through and confirm it here where the true experts are! I have plenty of coal this year so there are no worries!
Another quick success story.......My uncle has been a life long wood burner but he's not as healthy as he used to be and has been struggling the last couple years to keep enough wood cut. My cousin is a LL dealer and was sitting on a stove that a buyer backed out on (not sure which model but is 110K stove). My uncle pulled the trigger a month or so ago and has not been happier! Every time I go over to see him he's cuddled up next to that thing just smiling! Burning one bag a day since it has started to get colder and loves that fact that he no longer has to cut wood!!! I can attest to that also!

McGiever
Stoker Coal Boiler: AXEMAN-ANDERSON 130 "1959"
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: BUCKET A DAY water heater
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning 414A
Coal Size/Type: PEA,NUT,STOVE /ANTHRACITE
Other Heating: Ground Source Heat Pump and some Solar

Post by McGiever » Fri. Dec. 09, 2016 9:29 pm

Some of that FREE Wood, I can still remember all that FREE Wood I did. :roll:

StokerDon
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Gentleman Janitor GJ-5, Van Wert VA-600, Axeman Anderson130 X3.
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Harman SF3500 reduced down to 3 grates connected to its own plenum
Coal Size/Type: Rice, Chestnut and whatever will fit through the door on the Harman
Other Heating: Noth'in but COAL! Well, Maybe a little tiny bit of wood

Post by StokerDon » Sat. Dec. 10, 2016 9:55 am

swyman wrote: One thing that has changed is the barn where the boiler sits. I finally put the house wrap and steel siding on and now it has been staying in the low 70's in there!!! I think it's time to throw some insulation on the exposed steel on the boiler and try to keep that heat in!
If the boiler is heating your barn into the 70's I think we know why you are using so much coal!

I would make an outer cabinet of foam-board or duct-board insulation and seal it up tight.

-Don

swyman

Post by swyman » Sun. Dec. 11, 2016 11:11 pm

StokerDon wrote:
swyman wrote: One thing that has changed is the barn where the boiler sits. I finally put the house wrap and steel siding on and now it has been staying in the low 70's in there!!! I think it's time to throw some insulation on the exposed steel on the boiler and try to keep that heat in!
If the boiler is heating your barn into the 70's I think we know why you are using so much coal!

I would make an outer cabinet of foam-board or duct-board insulation and seal it up tight.

-Don
What the heck do I do when I install it in the basement! Maybe just hook up the domestic coil and let the heat rise? On a bright note, the addition seems to have taken care of my air leak problem on the West wall....I no longer have cold air blowing through the light switch and outlets along that wall which has allowed for my boiler to keep up without running the furnace on those cold West windy days. We'll see what happens when it around zero and a 30mph West wind? Oh, the barn temp has went down to 65* now!

swyman

Post by swyman » Fri. Nov. 03, 2017 9:23 am

So I am about ready to start hooking things up in the new location... I have been advised enough through the last couple years by you folks about a boiler bypass valve to help with temp differential. Want to make sure I do everything right so where is the best place to install? I assume as close to the boiler as possible but seems every time I assume something it gets me into trouble! Pics are very welcome of your setup BTW

hotblast1357
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1984 Eshland S260 coal gun
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh anthracite pea
Other Heating: air source heat pump, oil furnace

Post by hotblast1357 » Fri. Nov. 03, 2017 9:25 am

Are you running constant circulation or just on heat calls? I can’t rememeber!

swyman

Post by swyman » Fri. Nov. 03, 2017 11:43 am

I was running constant circulation but the new location will have 3 separate zones. My main supply and return (1 1/2") will run from the boiler about 6' through the wall into the old basement where I will install my manifolds for the zones.

Return to “Stoker Coal Boilers Using Anthracite (Hydronic & Steam)”