Blashak Vs Stockton Opinions or Facts

Firetester
Hand Fed Coal Stove: ??? Can't find a data plate.
Coal Size/Type: Guessing Nut or stove.

Post by Firetester » Tue. Jan. 17, 2017 12:31 pm

Where I get my coal they have both. I've only used the Stockton so far. I'm using nut in a hand fired stove. This is my first winter using coal. My only gripe so far is that when I shake my stove down, sometimes chunks will lodge between the grates and the edges of the stove. Then I need to get down and dig them out from underneath. I don't know if this has anything to do with the coal or, just poor design of the grates.
I wonder if there is any difference between the two types of coals. I'd like to get your opinions and facts regarding the two.
Thanks

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Tue. Jan. 17, 2017 12:41 pm

If they are chunks of unburned, or partially burned coal, you may be shaking too much, or too hard, or too soon, ...... or all three ? The how much, and when, are the most common and toughest things for new coal stove owners to learn.

If they are "clinkers" - chunks of hard but burned coal ash - that can be due to burning too hot, and/or, type and quality of coal.

If they are rocks, or chunks of slate, the slate happens naturally in some coal. The rocks sometimes get left in during the processing operations at the breaker. Or, picked up by a bucket loader from the coal piles on bare ground.

Can you post pictures of some of what is jamming the grates ?

Paul

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Tue. Jan. 17, 2017 1:44 pm

Bulked or bagged?

scalabro
Baseburners & Antiques: Crawford 40, PP Stewart No. 14, Abendroth Bros "Record 40"
Coal Size/Type: Stove / Anthracite.
Other Heating: Oil fired, forced hot air.

Post by scalabro » Tue. Jan. 17, 2017 7:03 pm

Firetester wrote:Where I get my coal they have both. I've only used the Stockton so far. I'm using nut in a hand fired stove. This is my first winter using coal. My only gripe so far is that when I shake my stove down, sometimes chunks will lodge between the grates and the edges of the stove. Then I need to get down and dig them out from underneath. I don't know if this has anything to do with the coal or, just poor design of the grates.
I wonder if there is any difference between the two types of coals. I'd like to get your opinions and facts regarding the two.
Thanks
I had the chance to buy 45,000lbs of Stockton this year. I was told that their coal was very "clean" (minimal fines & junk) by the bagging company but that their stove size was running small. Then they advised me the Lehigh had a bit more fines and that their stove size was running on the large end. My stove craves large black rocks so I went with Lehigh.

I get clinkers sometimes but with a "draw center" grate they are NBD.

davidmcbeth3
Coal Size/Type: nut/pea/anthra

Post by davidmcbeth3 » Tue. Jan. 17, 2017 7:37 pm

I generally stop shaking when I see red embers go through.

Also, if you swing the grates too far, that will invite larger pieces to get caught. Little movement back and forth is all that is usually needed.

You're lucky to get them removed w/o needing for the stove to be fired down.

Firetester
Hand Fed Coal Stove: ??? Can't find a data plate.
Coal Size/Type: Guessing Nut or stove.

Post by Firetester » Mon. Feb. 13, 2017 7:40 am

Thanks for the info. Kinda moot now as the Stockton is no longer available. The mill where I got it had to send the last shipment back because it was "unusable". (not sure why). They said that they were waiting to hear from the supplier when the Stockton would be available. No word as of this Saturday 2/11/17.

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”