coal stoker
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1986 EFM DF520
Coal Size/Type: Rice/Anthracite
Other Heating: oil fired boiler

Post by coal stoker » Thu. Jan. 19, 2017 5:28 pm

Really L :) :) king Good!

StokerDon
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Gentleman Janitor GJ-5, Van Wert VA-600, Axeman Anderson130 X3.
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Harman SF3500 reduced down to 3 grates connected to its own plenum
Coal Size/Type: Rice, Chestnut and whatever will fit through the door on the Harman
Other Heating: Noth'in but COAL! Well, Maybe a little tiny bit of wood

Post by StokerDon » Thu. Jan. 19, 2017 7:37 pm

McGiever wrote:Aside from cost...sweating copper ftgs helps here w/o as many thread length match up issues. :)
Yah but, wheres the fun in that?

-Don

lzaharis
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker KAA-4-1 dual fuel boiler
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: former switzer CWW100-sold
Coal Size/Type: rice
Other Heating: kerosene for dual fuel Keystoker/unused

Post by lzaharis » Fri. Jan. 20, 2017 10:57 am

myers007 wrote:Thanks Qtown, Yes I have purchased most of my fittings from supply house. I had to buy a few nipples for 1-1\2 from the box store to get that crossover to work out.

That was a little complex I had to take a short section of pipe and cut thread it for it to work out.

I did check supply house just last week for some of this section. I needed an iron cross and they said a week to get most of the stuff I would get in a day or two but the 1-1\2 was to much of a delay. I found the iron cross on Amazon and got with prime in two days.

Does anyone have a suggestion for a temp gauge I have an old one I just thought I should put in a new one?
===========================================================================

Purchase a new Marshalltown triple gauge from ACI controls, The manufacturer is Marsh instruments in Ohio AND they are American made, calibrated and tested in America and have a warranty.

You will not have a problem knowing what is going on in your steam chest after you install the new triple gauge. Do not use Teflon tape use pipe dope and be sure the base of the threaded portion is clean of pipe dope before you thread it in place.

From my personal experience I can and will tell you that the Chinese made gauges are not accurate-the communist Chinese manufacturers from the mainland that do not list the name or address of the manufacturer on the gauge box or the gauge body.

I would trust the manufacturers of pressure gauges made in Taiwan(Formosa)
long before I would use the Chinese made gauges as the three round gauges
I had did not even have the name and address of the manufacturer in China
either on the gauges body/shell or for that matter the cardboard box they came in.

I will tell you that I can sleep very well and through the night with the new Honeywell
controls, the separate independent low water cut off and the new 4 inch square
Marshalltown Triple Gauge.

I also told the owner of Don Snow and Brian at Kesytoker the Chinese gauges are not good and cannot be trusted.

coalkirk
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1981 EFM DF520 retired
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Jotul 507 on standby
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh anthracite/rice coal

Post by coalkirk » Sun. Jan. 22, 2017 8:42 am

I'm scouring boiler install threads to get piping installation design and technique tips. I notice your pipe joints have a blue color. Is that the joint compound or the teflon tape? Thanks!

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Sun. Jan. 22, 2017 9:03 am

Could be Blue Monster tape, Blue Monster dope, or Blue Block.

I have had flawless results with a few wraps of Teflon tape covered with dope. Pro Dope works very well, as does GRRIP.

CoalisCoolxWarm
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker KA-6
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: old Sears rebuilt, bituminous- offline as of winter 2014
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite Buckwheat
Other Heating: Oil Boiler

Post by CoalisCoolxWarm » Sun. Jan. 22, 2017 10:02 am

Rob R. wrote: as does GRRIP.
That's my PPreferredd poison, LOL.

Works GRREAT on steel pipe of all sorts. A little messy, but just keep a supply of rags to wipe off the fittings afterwards.

Another tip: Be SURE to WIRE BRUSH your threads and wipe before assembling. They tend to gather rust, dust, debris, whatever. All can tear tape, displace dope, leak liquids.

CoalHeat
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1959 EFM 350
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Magnafire Mark I
Baseburners & Antiques: Sears Signal Oak 15 & Andes Kitchen Range
Coal Size/Type: Rice and Chestnut
Other Heating: Fisher Fireplace Insert

Post by CoalHeat » Sun. Jan. 22, 2017 10:16 am

Don't use the cheap white teflon tape sold at the big box stores. It's crap.

I usually wrap the male thread with quality tape and coat the female thread with pipe dope.

http://www.oatey.com/products/thread-sealants

windyhill4.2
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1960 EFM520 installed in truck box
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Crane 404 with variable blower
Coal Size/Type: 404-nut, 520 rice ,anthracite for both

Post by windyhill4.2 » Sun. Jan. 22, 2017 11:23 am

My local plumbing supply (APR) handles Blue Monster tape & paste which I used with great results on my boilers pipes & fittings.
I had only ever used the white tape & paste sold at auto supply store & hardware store & could hardly believe just how thick the Blue Monster tape was & how well their paste went on & stayed on.
Last edited by windyhill4.2 on Sun. Jan. 22, 2017 12:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CoalHeat
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1959 EFM 350
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Magnafire Mark I
Baseburners & Antiques: Sears Signal Oak 15 & Andes Kitchen Range
Coal Size/Type: Rice and Chestnut
Other Heating: Fisher Fireplace Insert

Post by CoalHeat » Sun. Jan. 22, 2017 11:56 am

I'd like to get some of that to try out.

This tape works well:
IMG_5811.JPG
.JPG | 130.5KB | IMG_5811.JPG

coalkirk
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1981 EFM DF520 retired
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Jotul 507 on standby
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh anthracite/rice coal

Post by coalkirk » Sun. Jan. 22, 2017 1:01 pm

Great info. Thanks!

BunkerdCaddis
Stoker Coal Boiler: Bairmatic-Van Wert
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Van Wert VW85H
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Saey Hanover II working when I feel the desire, Waterford 105 out on vacation, Surdiac Gotha hiding somewhere
Coal Size/Type: pea/nut/rice/stove-anthracite, nut/stove bit when I feel the urge
Other Heating: oil fired hydronic

Post by BunkerdCaddis » Sun. Jan. 22, 2017 4:36 pm

Wood'nCoal wrote:Don't use the cheap white teflon tape sold at the big box stores.
For what it's worth, Lowes has a Blue Hawk brand tape that is thick and tuff (but gray) much like the Blue Monster tape. I use mostly the Blue Monster stuff but also the Mega bloc and Pro Dope. Years ago where I worked, we used only Pro Dope and everything got tested to 200 psi. :gee:

myers007
Stoker Coal Boiler: V & E coal Sotker never used EFM 520 coal stoker
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Eshland C40 boiler coal, wood and electric
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Gibraltar fire palce insert
Coal Size/Type: Nut and rice
Other Heating: Oil boiler

Post by myers007 » Sun. Jan. 22, 2017 8:48 pm

McGiever wrote:
myers007 wrote:Thanks Qtown, Yes I have purchased most of my fittings from supply house. I had to buy a few nipples for 1-1\2 from the box store to get that crossover to work out.

That was a little complex I had to take a short section of pipe and cut thread it for it to work out.

I did check supply house just last week for some of this section. I needed an iron cross and they said a week to get most of the stuff I would get in a day or two but the 1-1\2 was to much of a delay. I found the iron cross on Amazon and got with prime in two days.

Does anyone have a suggestion for a temp gauge I have an old one I just thought I should put in a new one?
Good job. :)
Aside from cost...sweating copper ftgs helps here w/o as many thread length match up issues. :)
Yes I keep asking my self why am I doing black pipe, but I remember how the old system was installed and I think someone set out to break everyone of the plumbing best practices and I wanted something clean and easy to work on so I thought I would use iron pipe.

myers007

Post by myers007 » Sun. Jan. 22, 2017 8:52 pm

coalkirk wrote:I'm scouring boiler install threads to get piping installation design and technique tips. I notice your pipe joints have a blue color. Is that the joint compound or the teflon tape? Thanks!
I am using the Blue Monster Teflon tape and dope and it has a blue tint to both the tape and the dope. It seems to be working good you just need to keep cleaning the pipe after you thread it because the dope seem migrate to everything.

myers007

Post by myers007 » Sun. Jan. 22, 2017 8:57 pm

lzaharis wrote:

===========================================================================

Purchase a new Marshalltown triple gauge from ACI controls, The manufacturer is Marsh instruments in Ohio AND they are American made, calibrated and tested in America and have a warranty.

You will not have a problem knowing what is going on in your steam chest after you install the new triple gauge. Do not use Teflon tape use pipe dope and be sure the base of the threaded portion is clean of pipe dope before you thread it in place.

From my personal experience I can and will tell you that the Chinese made gauges are not accurate-the communist Chinese manufacturers from the mainland that do not list the name or address of the manufacturer on the gauge box or the gauge body.

I would trust the manufacturers of pressure gauges made in Taiwan(Formosa)
long before I would use the Chinese made gauges as the three round gauges
I had did not even have the name and address of the manufacturer in China
either on the gauges body/shell or for that matter the cardboard box they came in.

I will tell you that I can sleep very well and through the night with the new Honeywell
controls, the separate independent low water cut off and the new 4 inch square
Marshalltown Triple Gauge.

I also told the owner of Don Snow and Brian at Kesytoker the Chinese gauges are not good and cannot be trusted.
lzaharis I will check out those boiler gauges I do not want to trust my boiler to a cheap Chinese gauge and the old one I have has seen better days.

myers007

Post by myers007 » Sun. Jan. 22, 2017 10:38 pm

Cut and threaded more pipe today and finished the bypass part that was fun. :roll:

I think I am getting the hang of this pipe threading
WP_20170122_003.jpg
.JPG | 82.9KB | WP_20170122_003.jpg
putting it all together
WP_20170122_006.jpg
.JPG | 89KB | WP_20170122_006.jpg
The bypass in place
WP_20170122_010.jpg
.JPG | 83.8KB | WP_20170122_010.jpg
Looks level, wow how did that happen.
WP_20170122_007.jpg
.JPG | 58.7KB | WP_20170122_007.jpg