New Manufacture of Antique Stoves

scalabro
Baseburners & Antiques: Crawford 40, PP Stewart No. 14, Abendroth Bros "Record 40"
Coal Size/Type: Stove / Anthracite.
Other Heating: Oil fired, forced hot air.

Post by scalabro » Sat. Jan. 21, 2017 1:03 pm

tcalo wrote:Chubby Stoves have mica windows and are UL listed I believe.
Perhaps the small size of the chubby window had something to due with that? I have seen chubbies with the wire mesh installed behind the mica like some Crane stoves had.

This thread is discussing getting an "as manufactured" antique through a UL or other certifying laboratory inspection and certification.

gardener

Post by gardener » Tue. Dec. 19, 2017 10:14 am

Perhaps I missed it... so UL certification is not a requirement to sell a newly manufactured antique style stove/insert, but insurance companies won't cover a non-UL approved heating appliance in a home?

scalabro
Baseburners & Antiques: Crawford 40, PP Stewart No. 14, Abendroth Bros "Record 40"

Post by scalabro » Tue. Dec. 19, 2017 11:31 am

I’m not sure it’s legally required to sell a new stove without it, but who would buy it? There would be a huge liability on the mfg.....

A “new” antique would be vastly different in construction, materials etc etc.

Buy an antique and be done with it.

gardener

Post by gardener » Tue. Dec. 19, 2017 12:16 pm

How does UL approval protect a manufacturer?

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Tue. Dec. 19, 2017 12:30 pm

I wonder how Vermont Castings stoves passed UL standards with cast iron legs ?

Paul

coalnewbie
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: LL AnthraKing 180K, Pocono110K,KStokr 90K, DVC
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Invader 2
Baseburners & Antiques: Wings Best, Glenwood #8(x2) Herald 116x
Coal Size/Type: Rice,
Other Heating: Heating Oil CH, Toyotomi OM 22

Post by coalnewbie » Tue. Dec. 19, 2017 1:28 pm

and why would we expect a UL tester would chit from shinola about coal stoves. Reminds me of Consumer Reports who are supposed experts at everything.

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Tue. Dec. 19, 2017 1:43 pm

coalnewbie wrote:
Tue. Dec. 19, 2017 1:28 pm
and why would we expect a UL tester would chit from shinola about coal stoves. Reminds me of Consumer Reports who are supposed experts at everything.
Yeah, it's not like they hang out on a coal forum where they can learn what's what.

I ran out of Worcestershire sauce, hopefully, the pea soup doesn't taste like "chit". :lol:

Paul

Attachments

DSCN5386.JPG
.JPG | 280.9KB | DSCN5386.JPG

scalabro

Post by scalabro » Tue. Dec. 19, 2017 4:31 pm

gardener wrote:
Tue. Dec. 19, 2017 12:16 pm
How does UL approval protect a manufacturer?
Well, IDK but it must they do it so there must be a reason. Why don’t you research it and find out for us?

gardener

Post by gardener » Tue. Dec. 19, 2017 4:53 pm

Just scanning UL's website, I don't think it protects the manufacturer. It looks like all they offer is safety certifications. It would be useful to a manufacturer if they were sued, but only if the claim is against some aspect that was tested by the certification. A manufacturer could still be sued with a claim against some failure of the product that passed a certification test, but a manufacturer would likely then make the argument their product was misused or used in a way that it was not designed.

gardener

Post by gardener » Tue. Dec. 19, 2017 4:57 pm

Keep in mind I have no experience in the marketing/manufacturing/stove industry... I suspect UL certification isn't necessary. It probably is desireable for manufacturers if they are selling to commercial whom require certifications. On the residential side, the fear is probably more with user's home owner insurance companies blaming the product and the insurance initiating a lawsuit.

gardener

Post by gardener » Wed. Dec. 20, 2017 7:57 am

Did some further reading on UL markings, there are different classifications, so I will need to find which is for furnaces. Some markings simply mean that the manufacturer follows a procedure to mitigate potentially unsafe aspects of their product.

A thought that came to my mind was that maybe the business' insurance requires the products they sell have a UL certification.
Since Chubby Stoves are mentioned in this thread (for cast iron legs and UL approval), I am going to email Larry ask him whether that is the case and if so why they needed UL certification.

KingCoal
Hand Fed Coal Stove: 1 comforter stove works all iron coal box stove, seventies.
Baseburners & Antiques: 2014 DTS C17 Base Burner, GW #6, GW 113 formerly Sir Williams, maybe others at Pauliewog’s I’ve forgotten about
Coal Size/Type: Nut Anth.
Other Heating: none

Post by KingCoal » Wed. Dec. 20, 2017 8:02 am

google U.L. themselves look up who they actually are and when and how they got started.

you won't be impressed

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Wed. Dec. 20, 2017 8:33 am

Where the hell are McBeth 0r Stockingful when we need them???????????????/ :lol:
gardener wrote:
Tue. Dec. 19, 2017 4:53 pm
Just scanning UL's website, I don't think it protects the manufacturer. It looks like all they offer is safety certifications. It would be useful to a manufacturer if they were sued, but only if the claim is against some aspect that was tested by the certification. A manufacturer could still be sued with a claim against some failure of the product that passed a certification test, but a manufacturer would likely then make the argument their product was misused or used in a way that it was not designed.

KingCoal
Hand Fed Coal Stove: 1 comforter stove works all iron coal box stove, seventies.
Baseburners & Antiques: 2014 DTS C17 Base Burner, GW #6, GW 113 formerly Sir Williams, maybe others at Pauliewog’s I’ve forgotten about
Coal Size/Type: Nut Anth.
Other Heating: none

Post by KingCoal » Wed. Dec. 20, 2017 9:07 am

AWKK thanks Fred my keyboard was needing a coffee shower :lol: :clap:

gardener

Post by gardener » Wed. Dec. 20, 2017 9:30 am

:angel:

Followed up on UL 1482, looks like it got a lot of discussion by the wood heating industry, and insurance concern with creosote. Found at https://standardscatalog.ul.com/standards/en/standard_1482_7, there is a subsection for testing coal burning appliances. Wonder if there if it is available for viewing elsewhere, but that looks like an updated and recent publication, so may not find it.

Found a short thread titled UL 1482: Room Heaters, Solid-Fuel Type on here, going to read that and the link to the history of the UL standards before finishing compiling my short question to Larry.

Return to “Antiques, Baseburners, Kitchen Stoves, Restorations & Modern Reproductions”