Pipeline Approved Near Mine Fire

RT Hauling
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: alaska stoker II
Hand Fed Coal Stove: florin foundry 810
Coal Size/Type: rice and pea

Post by RT Hauling » Fri. Feb. 10, 2017 8:12 am

Atlantic Sunrise gas pipeline to run in close proximity to mine fire http://www.newsitem.com/news/2017-02-09/Local/Atlantic_Sunrise_project_clears_final_federal_hurd.html

lzaharis
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker KAA-4-1 dual fuel boiler
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: former switzer CWW100-sold
Coal Size/Type: rice
Other Heating: kerosene for dual fuel Keystoker/unused

Post by lzaharis » Fri. Feb. 10, 2017 11:12 am

OH BOY,

I wonder if they will even bother flooding the old workings with a Sulfuric Acid and
Tap Water and Baking Soda solution to chemically foam the existing fire now and flood it with the resulting chemical reaction creating Carbon Dioxide????

The small amounts of sulfuric acid used are neutralized in the resulting chemical reaction
in the making of the fire fighting foam so its not a worry.

It could be the action that finally stops the fire from advancing.

RT Hauling

Post by RT Hauling » Fri. Feb. 10, 2017 3:46 pm

It does not appear the pipeline co. will do anything about the fire. The representatives from Williams and Transco are downplaying the fire itself.

RT Hauling

Post by RT Hauling » Thu. Nov. 30, 2017 5:45 pm

News-Item just posted an article on the construction and testing done in the area. https://www.newsitem.com/articles/smoke-still-ris ... gh-nearby/

lincolnmania
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 350
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: reading allegheny stoker
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: alaska kodiak stoker 1986. 1987 triburner, 1987 crane diamond

Post by lincolnmania » Fri. Dec. 01, 2017 5:40 am

lzaharis wrote:
Fri. Feb. 10, 2017 11:12 am
OH BOY,

I wonder if they will even bother flooding the old workings with a Sulfuric Acid and
Tap Water and Baking Soda solution to chemically foam the existing fire now and flood it with the resulting chemical reaction creating Carbon Dioxide????

The small amounts of sulfuric acid used are neutralized in the resulting chemical reaction
in the making of the fire fighting foam so its not a worry.

It could be the action that finally stops the fire from advancing.
my dad suggested that to arlen specter and gus yatron many times. in one ear and out the other "ralph that would cost too much"

gaw
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker KA-6
Coal Size/Type: Rice from Schuylkill County

Post by gaw » Fri. Dec. 01, 2017 6:34 am

lincolnmania wrote:
Fri. Dec. 01, 2017 5:40 am
my dad suggested that to arlen specter and gus yatron many times. in one ear and out the other "ralph that would cost too much"
Gus Yatron! There's a blast from the past. I remember his letters always in the mail back in the day.

They are going to town on that pipeline. I suspect the road I travel to work to soon be f'd up because of it. Mine subsidence caused part of 125 to collapse between Goodspring and Donaldson and I hear that they are working on the pipeline there to take advantage of the closed road.

lincolnmania
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 350
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: reading allegheny stoker
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: alaska kodiak stoker 1986. 1987 triburner, 1987 crane diamond

Post by lincolnmania » Fri. Dec. 01, 2017 9:01 am

my dad was friends with gus. when i was in school dad took me to washington dc many times. gus almost always had time to visit with us. dad used to also run into gus all the time at the grocery store, i remember being there long after the store closing and my feet hurt lol. my dad was a talker. arlen spector got my dad home for emergency leave in less than 24 hrs during operation desert shield after my moms mom had a heart attack.

in my opinion they could have put that fire out in the 70's but they did not go about it the right way.

anybody ever hear rumors that the coal seams are on fire near shamokin?

RT Hauling

Post by RT Hauling » Fri. Dec. 01, 2017 3:41 pm

That is no rumor. What you see in that article is part of the bed that runs to the Cameron colliery, aka Glen Burn. There is a you tube video showing smoke rising by the 'dinky house' on top of the culm bank seen looking up the culm bank from route 61. Also when you enter Shamokin heading east to west you can see red ash on the side of the mountain (looking right). This is the bunker hill area part of the fire.

hank2
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine 1400 WH ciculator; 1880's small cannon in reserve
Coal Size/Type: Nut
Other Heating: small New Yorker oil fired boiler; mostly used for domestic HW

Post by hank2 » Sat. Dec. 02, 2017 12:32 am

Here's one brief youtube video of a Shamokin area coal seam fire. I had read years ago that the Shamokin area underground fires even predated the Centralia fire. No idea if that's correct.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vt-I7qWbFNo

Gus Yatron was my congressman, too, in Berks county for years. By all accounts a good man. He helped a Navy buddy of mine get a hardship discharge and go home to provide his family (Reading, Pa.) with some much needed help. That was in about '71 or '72. The military didn't let anyone out for any reason back then. He was known for helping constituents with problems in Fed. gov't. Full truth known, he was also ineffective in getting Reading and Berks county any federal money for much of anything. Now Dan Flood, there was a fed money collecting son of a gun.

Return to “Coal News & General Coal Discussions”