A Place for a New Stove (Pics)

davidmcbeth3
Coal Size/Type: nut/pea/anthra

Post by davidmcbeth3 » Wed. Feb. 15, 2017 5:58 pm

Hoytman wrote:Not a lot of water in the picture below, as the picture was taken over a year ago. Today there's lots of water going over my waterfall.
You in the process of evacuation ?

joeq
Hand Fed Coal Stove: G111, Southard Robertson

Post by joeq » Wed. Feb. 15, 2017 6:38 pm

Bet it felt good to have a fire in the belly of your stove Hman. Not sure if that's a basement install, single story ranch, or a 2 story, but it appears it'll have no problem warming that place up. You should email Dwyers, and pick up one of their $30 units to start off with, just to give you some numbers. Then you can evaluate your chimney system. Looking good. :)

Hoytman
Location: swOH near a little town where the homes are mobile and the cars aren’t
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 354
Coal Size/Type: nut coal
Other Heating: electric, wood, oil

Post by Hoytman » Wed. Feb. 15, 2017 6:57 pm

Sunny Boy wrote:... both get hooked up the same way to your stove pipe between the stove and the MPD.
Paul
...and therein lies the problem. My MPD is right on top of the stove real close. I wish it was further up the pipe and I may change it. Should I move it? I'm not too worried about it now since I don't plan on using this stove. I'm asking for when I put in my coal stove.

Don, I think I smoked the house up a bit because I opened the door to fast and a bit too soon as well. With my top down fire I started I shouldn't have had any issues, but I had a brain fart and opened the door too fast. I had opened the doors first anyway and left them open for a while to let some room air warm the chimney a bit. Then I lit my fire and left the door cracked and primaries open. I immediately...within 10 seconds of lighting the fire got a woosh sound when the draft took off and could see the flames reaching for the stove pipe and the fire started real good. The problem was I tried to open the door too soon and got some smoke, but not enough to hurt anything. All I had to do was let my fire build more and allow the stove to get hotter and I don't believe I'd have had a problem.

My cousin hooked the stove pipe up wrong as well and it had some gaps in it that I didn't like, so after the first fire I removed the pipe and fixed them. It was better after that for the next 3 fires.

However, with those 110 degree idling temps you were talking about, I think that may present an issue. I guess the manometer will allow me to see that so I suppose I need to get one. I need to try and get a something to extend the chimney as well...then pray for some cold weather. There talking 65 by weekend I guess...if I heard right.

I do have a fire alarm and co detector. It's mounted straight across from the stove, but you can't see it in the photo's. New batteries too.

No! I am not evacuating. It's never flooded here in the 60+ years of my family living here...even during the worst flood we've ever seen back in 1989. Just a good flow of water that's normal for this time of year. Very relaxing to sit on the porch and listen to the water coming over the falls.

Hoytman
Location: swOH near a little town where the homes are mobile and the cars aren’t

Post by Hoytman » Wed. Feb. 15, 2017 7:04 pm

If there's a multi-quote function on this site, then I can't find it. Then again, the wife usually says something like..."if'n it beena snake it uh bitcha". :lol:

SWPaDon
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Clayton 1600M
Coal Size/Type: Bituminous
Other Heating: Oil furnace

Post by SWPaDon » Wed. Feb. 15, 2017 7:06 pm

Hoytman wrote:If there's a multi-quote function on this site, then I can't find it. Then again, the wife usually says something like..."if'n it beena snake it uh bitcha". :lol:
You did just fine, don't let it bother ya. Yes, be sure to monitor your draft.

Hoytman

Post by Hoytman » Wed. Feb. 15, 2017 7:12 pm

joeq wrote:Bet it felt good to have a fire in the belly of your stove Hman. Not sure if that's a basement install, single story ranch, or a 2 story, but it appears it'll have no problem warming that place up. You should email Dwyers, and pick up one of their $30 units to start off with, just to give you some numbers. Then you can evaluate your chimney system. Looking good. :)
It sure did.

Three car garage to the right in the photo...well...2 car technically, but I can fit 3 trucks in there no problem. The breezeway between the house and garage is just awesome at all times of the year. Grandpa and Grandma had a nice 'feels like home' kind of place. The original house was just the brick area. Pap bricked it, added the two rooms you see to the left where the siding is. He also built the front porch and breezeway, then the garage. Pap was real handy with anything. He completely remodeled the house and built the hearth inside too. He most definitely was talented and not what I call a 'cob house king'. When he built something it always looked like an engineer had planned it that way. Not bad for a fella who spent 48 years in the seat of a truck. Not an extravagant place, just real nice...home.

I'm simply restoring it like my grandparents had it. Pap had a guy paint inside several years before he died...a professional painter. Needless to say I removed all the wood work to remove the paint on the wood work, then painted inside, and will soon be putting all the wood work back up after I refinish some of it. I keep telling my relatives that when they visit, if it doesn't look like I did anything to the inside of the house, then I've done my job well. We wanted to keep it like my grandparents had it for a while. Maybe later we'll do some major renovations and an addition on the back. Then again, maybe not. I can't wait to turn out the beagle hounds and listen to them run...just like when my dad was a kid when Pap had hounds. My son (10) can hardly wait...he's wanting chickens to boot. :lol:

Attachments

IMG_0397.JPG
.JPG | 215.8KB | IMG_0397.JPG
Last edited by Hoytman on Wed. Feb. 15, 2017 7:38 pm, edited 5 times in total.

joeq

Post by joeq » Wed. Feb. 15, 2017 7:21 pm

Nice place Hman. You have a question on your MPD location? Too close? here's a pic of mine, and it works fine. It's about a half a foot from my back pipe. It may be hard to see, but the chrome spring handle is located in the shadow of the horizontal pipe.

Hoytman

Post by Hoytman » Wed. Feb. 15, 2017 7:46 pm

Oh man! I like the Glenwood. That 111 would look real nice in place of that wood burner of mine. :D

Scroll back to the top and look at the 2nd picture I posted and click on it. The MPD is only about 6", if that, above the stove. I'm not sure if there's room enough to hook the manometer up between that spot. I'm sure I could fit it in there somehow, but I'm just not sure if it's a good location. I'm wondering if the MPD wouldn't be better half way up the stove pipe and the Mano in-between about 1ft. off the top of the stove? Maybe it will be fine like it is, close like that. I don't know.

I'm going to buy a Mano in the next few days, or week...if I don't forget. Before I get too carried away though, replacing the stove and all, I think I'm going to hire a good chimney sweep to check both chimneys and get some input from them.

joeq

Post by joeq » Wed. Feb. 15, 2017 8:11 pm

I see your clearance concern Hman, and have had my share also, with the reduced clearance stove install coupled to the wall thimble behind the stove. But the manometer tube/adapter isn't that large to squeeze in, and the location will still read. But if you did move your MPD higher, you could eliminate all that worry. It would be easy to do on the black pipe. You'll only have to do it once.
My manometer elbow is squeezed between my MPD, and the diverter valve on my stove, but all still functions.

Smokeyja
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood #6 baseheater, Richmond Advance Range, WarmMorning 414a x2
Coal Size/Type: Nut / Anthracite
Other Heating: none

Post by Smokeyja » Tue. Nov. 13, 2018 12:20 pm

I Definitly like the magnehelic gauges over a manometer . I like the fact they are metal and fit into the scenery of an old stove . Easy to hook up as well. I welded a bung in the flue pipe and ran copper tubing with another fitting and then some cloth braided vacuum line to the gauge.

joeq

Post by joeq » Tue. Nov. 13, 2018 6:55 pm

Welcome back Josh. good hearin from you again. Is that G6 functioning, or still on hold?

Hoytman

Post by Hoytman » Wed. Nov. 14, 2018 1:21 pm

I think you posted that to make me drool. LOL!!!

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”