Cpap Machines

creek44
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Post by creek44 » Sun. Feb. 12, 2017 12:55 pm

I was under the impression that a sleep study would cost thousands rather than hundreds which, in the case of thousands, it would never happen as I told my doctor. Experience tells me that one never knows what the final cost will be with medical issues as "add ons" tend to keep rolling in long after a procedure is done. My doctor also mentioned the possibility of an "at home" sleep study which would be significantly less. I will dig into this deeper with my next visit. Good to know that the machines may be affordable if done right.

A word about self pay. I was "schooled " about self pay when asking about the cost of routine blood tests that I would have to pay for out of my pocket because my healthcare deductible is so huge and the premium so high. I asked for the cash price for self pay and was told that one cannot get a reduced price if one has health insurance. That reduced price is reserved only for those without health insurance. I must pay the negotiated price according to my health insurance plan even when paying cash. Believe it or not.

I am not surprised that our healthcare insurance is not good enough for those in Congress. My understanding is that they exempted themselves from it. The system will only be improved when they have to purchase and use the same healthcare insurance that we do. Only then will they begin to realize the full force and effects of their poor decision making.

Sorry for the rant.

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Sun. Feb. 12, 2017 1:26 pm

BINGO C!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :mad:

McGiever
Stoker Coal Boiler: AXEMAN-ANDERSON 130 "1959"
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: BUCKET A DAY water heater
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning 414A
Coal Size/Type: PEA,NUT,STOVE /ANTHRACITE
Other Heating: Ground Source Heat Pump and some Solar

Post by McGiever » Sun. Feb. 12, 2017 1:30 pm

My regular med. Dr. now wants me to have a revisit, but w/ a different pulmonologist than with my first since it has been a while and I never even laid eyes on the first one. Started out by being sent to 2 studies and then agency met for set-up.

My Dr. mentioned also that new technology in CPAPs has them made to being more adaptive to changes throughout a sleep...rather than the old set it and forget it with the in home initial fitting sitting at the kitchen table. :roll:

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Sun. Feb. 12, 2017 1:36 pm

Why does the old " if ya can't dazzle em with your brilliance--baffle em with your bull-*censored*" come to mind????????????

coalnewbie
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: LL AnthraKing 180K, Pocono110K,KStokr 90K, DVC
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Invader 2
Baseburners & Antiques: Wings Best, Glenwood #8(x2) Herald 116x
Coal Size/Type: Rice,
Other Heating: Heating Oil CH, Toyotomi OM 22

Post by coalnewbie » Sun. Feb. 12, 2017 2:04 pm

Oh no, the wise old Indian speaks so being a wimp I follow the leader and add, except for rare obstructive indications, unnecessary. Diet, medications are the root of the problem. Now I will hide behind the coal shed as no one will listen anyway.

lowfog01
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Mark II & Mark I
Coal Size/Type: nut/pea

Post by lowfog01 » Sun. Feb. 12, 2017 2:14 pm

lsayre wrote:It (the racket nature of the entire thing) makes one (well, me at least) wonder if the science behind CPAP is akin to the science behind global warming. I personally concluded that it is quack science, and I stopped using mine...
It makes me wonder, too. I tried to research the studies done on Sleep apnea and driving accidents and haven't found much. I did find a paper in DOT that said more study has to be done and as you know I have been unable to find a written standard anywhere - federal, state or local.

I've wondered about the force of the air, too. My setting of 10 is low but still very strong. It doesn't feel strong if the mask is sealed tight but if you hold your hand to the hose, it's very powerful. Those with higher settings must really be getting a strong air flow.

Personally, I've seen a benefit but everyone with a larger neck measurement can't have sleep apnea. It sure looks like a cash cow for doctors and sleep centers. Lisa

lowfog01
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Mark II & Mark I
Coal Size/Type: nut/pea

Post by lowfog01 » Sun. Feb. 12, 2017 2:17 pm

creek44 wrote: I must pay the negotiated price according to my health insurance plan even when paying cash. Believe it or not.
That stinks. I hope you are able to work things out. Lisa

McGiever

Post by McGiever » Sun. Feb. 12, 2017 2:19 pm

Larry, bet you can "turbo boost" that wood burner in the living room with your unused CPAP. :lol:

lsayre
Stoker Coal Boiler: AHS S130 Coal Gun
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh Anthracite Pea
Other Heating: Resistance Boiler (13.5 KW), ComfortMax 75

Post by lsayre » Sun. Feb. 12, 2017 2:21 pm

Not that it has never happened, but I've personally never heard of anyone emerging from a sleep study and being given the all clear, signaling that they do not have sleep apnea. Another warning flag?
Last edited by lsayre on Sun. Feb. 12, 2017 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lsayre
Stoker Coal Boiler: AHS S130 Coal Gun
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh Anthracite Pea
Other Heating: Resistance Boiler (13.5 KW), ComfortMax 75

Post by lsayre » Sun. Feb. 12, 2017 2:26 pm

McGiever wrote:Larry, bet you can "turbo boost" that wood burner in the living room with your unused CPAP. :lol:
Now that I'm brewing beer again, perhaps I can oxygenate my 'wort' (pronounced more like "vyrt", German for unfermented beer, prior to the yeast pitching) with it? I just need a large oxygen stone.
Last edited by lsayre on Sun. Feb. 12, 2017 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

McGiever

Post by McGiever » Sun. Feb. 12, 2017 2:31 pm

Since getting and wearing the"Fitbit" wrist monitor I received as a gift, I can now review any or every night's sleep pattern, among other things. ;)

rberq
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine 1300 with hopper
Coal Size/Type: Blaschak Anthracite Nut
Other Heating: Oil hot water radiators (fuel oil); propane

Post by rberq » Sun. Feb. 12, 2017 3:57 pm

McGiever wrote:My Dr. mentioned also that new technology in CPAPs has them made to being more adaptive to changes throughout a sleep...rather than the old set it and forget it
Yes, in theory it allows for a lower base pressure setting, which ramps up quickly when the machine detects the need for higher pressure.
creek44 wrote:My doctor also mentioned the possibility of an "at home" sleep study
Yes, the new technology McGiever mentioned allows for all that detailed usage and result reporting that Lisa has discussed. Which turns out to be lots of the same information that comes out of a sleep lab visit. So fitting you temporarily with a standard machine may be a good substitute for the more-expensive process.
McGiever wrote:Since getting and wearing the"Fitbit" wrist monitor I received as a gift, I can now review any or every night's sleep pattern, among other things. ;)
My brother's doctor had him use one of those little blood-oxygen-saturation recorders, the kind they clip on your finger. The big problem with apnea (my understanding, mind you) is not whether you stop breathing temporarily or not, it's the effect of the stoppage on your blood oxygenation. So using the finger thing is directly measuring how much the apnea is truly affecting you. I have thought about buying one of these to use on my own along with CPAP, but I believe the instructions said not to use it for hours at a time; don't know why, except maybe it cuts down blood flow and your finger falls off next day. :o Fitbit is maybe even better because you keep all your fingers.

CapeCoaler
Stoker Coal Boiler: want AA130
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine BS#4, Harman MKII, Hitzer 503,...
Coal Size/Type: Pea/Nut/Stove

Post by CapeCoaler » Thu. Feb. 16, 2017 10:38 pm

I did a home sleep study...
comfort of your own home, mailed to me and shipped back...
This after my stint in the Hospital for 2 weeks with nasty pneumonia and then some...
Had a bipap while in ICU...
Best sleep of my life, probably was all the morphine they gave me... ;)
so go to the doc who ordered it up to get the results...
Failed the test...
scored a 38... :shock:
Thanks for the info...
Looking for that Bluetooth enabled hot rod... :D
Now maybe I won't fall asleep after being up for 12 hours... 8-)

guysnydr
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Harman Super Magnum
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Previous stove - Harman Mark III
Other Heating: Oil Fired Forced Hot Air

Post by guysnydr » Fri. Feb. 17, 2017 1:38 pm

I have been a CPAP user for about 6 years now and I LOVE IT! I can't even take a little nap anymore without using it! If my doctor told me I didn't need it anymore, I would have a very hard time giving it up! That being said, there is a learning curve and you do have to get use to it. Once you see how much better you feel and how much more awake you are during the day because you are actually sleeping, you will feel the same way! You just have to give it a little time. I warmed up to it rather quickly thankfully, in about 3 nights I was comfortable with it.

I didn't like the big Darth Vader masks much, so I use a little Swift FX nasal pillows mask, it is unobtrusive, super light weight and very quiet. There are a couple other nasal masks on the market that I would like to try but this one has done very well for me since its release 5 or so years ago. I sleep on my side, my back, sometimes my belly, and rarely ever have a leak issue. I tend to open my mouth at night so I do have to use a small chin strap to keep my mouth closed.

My machine is the newer Phillips Dream Station Auto CPAP. It is as quiet as I have found. I had the privilege of trying both, the Dream Station and the AirSense 10 machines at the same time. My wife and I compared the noise level on both and found the Dream Station to be the quieter of the two, but only by a little bit. They are very close in terms of noise but the DS is a little quieter. It is quite a bit quieter than my old machine which was a Phillips Respironics System One (that I thought was also very quiet until I got the Dream Station). I also liked how the humidifier lid flipped up on the DS as it can be filled with water easier and without even removing the water chamber. The AirSense water chamber has to be removed completely to fill it and it felt like a cheap design the way it sort of snapped in place. I don't use the auto mode on the Dream Station, I just have it set at straight pressure of 13.0. It has ramp, but I never liked the ramp feature, I like just turning it on and I fall right asleep. I use the heated tubing and humidifier, I wouldn't want a CPAP without a humidifier. I use it only in the colder months though when the air is dry. I almost never use it from Spring to Fall.

I take my CPAP with me everywhere I go for overnight stays. We have a hunting cabin in the boonies without power. I take a car battery with me and plug it into DC using the DC kit. I can't tell you how many nights I can use it with a car battery but I have easily gone three full nights, I can probably go 4 if I wanted to. A guy should use a deep cycle battery but I had the car battery so that's what I have been using for 3 or 4 years now. Same battery and still works great. I also keep it charged in case the power goes out at home.

Hope some of this info helps.

creek44
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520

Post by creek44 » Tue. Apr. 18, 2017 8:59 pm

My Doc again recommend a sleep study at my recent visit. Doing an at home sleep study next 2 nights. Received the contraption in the mail today. It costs $300 out of pocket to do which I figured was reasonable enough. We shall see if a machine is in my future.

Return to “Health”