Warm Morning 617a

KingCoal
Hand Fed Coal Stove: 1 comforter stove works all iron coal box stove, seventies.
Baseburners & Antiques: 2014 DTS C17 Base Burner, GW #6, GW 113 formerly Sir Williams, maybe others at Pauliewog’s I’ve forgotten about
Coal Size/Type: Nut Anth.
Other Heating: none

Post by KingCoal » Mon. Aug. 17, 2015 12:20 pm

deepwoods wrote:By seeing the new corner bricks in place I feel more complete combustion of coal would take place due to keeping the coal crowded inward toward those round grates. It has been stated many times how the old stove builders preferred a round firepot for complete burning of coal. Those corner bricks form a near round firepot. Just my 2C.
Still looking for a decent Locke/Warm Morning. Have e-mailed 3 sellers and received NO response. I guess show & tell is not an honored practice for selling old used stoves but I would bet many have been rode hard and put away wet.
i myself feel that you are correct in your view of both the corner brick utility AND the all too common few and or poor pics offered by some stove sellers.

the good news is that once you know what you need to see and a seller doesn't provide it you can just cross them off your list.

johnjoseph
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker KA-6
Other Heating: pellet stove, oil boiler

Post by johnjoseph » Mon. Aug. 17, 2015 12:22 pm

Thanks to all of you for the replies, links and discussion on this stove. I got the stove for free so putting money into it doesn't bother me...but if I can save a "buck" I will....I know the previous owner only burned wood in it and not very often...nothing inside looks warped or cracked....also, it will only have anthracite used in it....no bit this far north!

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Mon. Aug. 17, 2015 12:59 pm

deepwoods wrote:By seeing the new corner bricks in place I feel more complete combustion of coal would take place due to keeping the coal crowded inward toward those round grates. It has been stated many times how the old stove builders preferred a round firepot for complete burning of coal. Those corner bricks form a near round firepot. Just my 2C.
Still looking for a decent Locke/Warm Morning. Have e-mailed 3 sellers and received NO response. I guess show & tell is not an honored practice for selling old used stoves but I would bet many have been rode hard and put away wet.
Corners not breathing, might be taken care of for less money than the cost of just one of those original type corner bricks.

One alternative would be to rent a masonry wet saw and then diagonally "baloney cut" some common firebricks so that they fill in the bottoms of the corners with inward sloping tops to them. They can be further refined to fit with a concrete/masonry grinding wheel (Dewalt #4429) mounted on a right angle grinder. Lowes carries the grinding wheels. They made fast work of the grinding the castable refractory fire bricks I've been making, which is denser/harder than common fire bricks.

Then cement the angled bricks into the bottom corners. They will guide the ash to, and air from, the round grate opening.

Paul

Attachments

DSCN7596.JPG
.JPG | 224.6KB | DSCN7596.JPG
DSCN7598.JPG
.JPG | 210.8KB | DSCN7598.JPG

KingCoal
Hand Fed Coal Stove: 1 comforter stove works all iron coal box stove, seventies.
Baseburners & Antiques: 2014 DTS C17 Base Burner, GW #6, GW 113 formerly Sir Williams, maybe others at Pauliewog’s I’ve forgotten about

Post by KingCoal » Mon. Aug. 17, 2015 1:21 pm

that IS a very good point Paul.

your suggestion would be a GREAT fix to both sides of the problem.

steve

deepwoods
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 50-93 & DS Machine Newstyle Champion
Coal Size/Type: nut (so far)
Other Heating: Ruud propane forced air system

Post by deepwoods » Mon. Aug. 17, 2015 6:28 pm

Earlier I was thinking about what might be done to simulate the original firepot configuration with flat bricks altered somehow. Paul just showed us the way :D This bit of re-engineering will be filed away in the event I ever do find a Locke 120 within a civil distance and at a civil price.

KingCoal

Post by KingCoal » Mon. Aug. 17, 2015 7:45 pm

deepwoods wrote:Earlier I was thinking about what might be done to simulate the original firepot configuration with flat bricks altered somehow. Paul just showed us the way :D This bit of re-engineering will be filed away in the event I ever do find a Locke 120 within a civil distance and at a civil price.
DW, this fix that Paul outlined is specific to the 617 a 4 flue Warm Morning brand stove that has a square barrel and therefore needs
"corner" bricks.

the Locke 120 and Warm Morning 520 are true "twin" stoves, have round barrels and a completely different style of bricks.

there are just 2 type of bricks in the 120 / 520's and to the best of my knowledge neither of them are available anymore. you either find a unit with a good usable set or one with enough to recast replacements from.

steve

deepwoods

Post by deepwoods » Mon. Aug. 17, 2015 8:53 pm

Yup, I had a slight brain fart ;) Locke 120 is what I am after and obviously wont work with Paul's fix. Round stove :oops:
Somewhere in my stove searching I saw a Warm morning 523. Is there such a thing or has someone mislabeled it? Would it be in the 617 "family" if it exists?
Dick
Dug thru my bookmarks and found it: **Broken Link(S) Removed**
Last edited by deepwoods on Mon. Aug. 17, 2015 9:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

KingCoal

Post by KingCoal » Mon. Aug. 17, 2015 8:59 pm

deepwoods wrote:Yup, I had a slight brain fart ;) Locke 120 is what I am after and obviously wont work with Paul's fix. Round stove :oops:
Somewhere in my stove searching I saw a Warm morning 523. Is there such a thing or has someone mislabeled it? Would it be in the 617 "family" if it exists?
Dick
the 523 is the 617's big brother. square barrel stove, 4 flue (corner bricks ) and holds 100#'s of coal.

http://a1stoves.com/images/medium/Warm-Morning-med.jpg

pintoplumber
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Burnham number series 17
Other Heating: Oil, forced hot air. Rheem

Post by pintoplumber » Tue. Aug. 18, 2015 7:19 pm

Just a thought. Water lines in a mobile home are usually run alongside the ductwork. The furnace running keeps them from freezing. Does the home have a basement? Can you run the furnace fan only? Dennis

LBrookm
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning 523
Coal Size/Type: Nut
Other Heating: Baseboard

Post by LBrookm » Mon. Feb. 13, 2017 3:30 pm

Think I can finally successfully burn down my garage with this arrangement? :devil:
100_1052.JPG

Common firebrick cut to fit

.JPG | 142.1KB | 100_1052.JPG
Work in progress - just freehanded the brick with a angle grinder / diamond blade using a speed square for layout.
100_1053.JPG

Going for the corner chimney effect

.JPG | 116KB | 100_1053.JPG
Thoughts before I go too far? I feel like there's a bit of protective metal work to do above the brick yet but have to get some flat stock and shape it. The total depth from top to bottom of brick is 13-1/2".

deepwoods

Post by deepwoods » Mon. Feb. 13, 2017 4:52 pm

Wow! Impressive work done there. WM's can be found on the cheap and some talent and planning can put them back in action. They are a good efficient stove when the insides are as originally intended. Someday I would like to find one for my basement. Standard firebrick is cheap and plentiful and I have a speed square and a couple diamond 4" wheels. Still looking for a nearby stove....cheap :D

KingCoal

Post by KingCoal » Mon. Feb. 13, 2017 6:21 pm

LBrookm wrote:Think I can finally successfully burn down my garage with this arrangement? :devil:
100_1052.JPG
Work in progress - just freehanded the brick with a angle grinder / diamond blade using a speed square for layout.
100_1053.JPG
Thoughts before I go too far? I feel like there's a bit of protective metal work to do above the brick yet but have to get some flat stock and shape it. The total depth from top to bottom of brick is 13-1/2".
absolutely brilliant work there my friend. that will work and work well.

as you say, you still need the steel liners on the right and left sides above the bricks but judging from what you've done here that won't be any problem for you.

you could take over WM resto-land with skills like that.

steve

LBrookm
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning 523
Coal Size/Type: Nut
Other Heating: Baseboard

Post by LBrookm » Wed. Feb. 15, 2017 8:42 am

It took a bit of shaping on the bottom bricks to fit the grate and get a level start but wasn't too bad. The cost of replacements and earlier ideas / thought implants in this post just caused the OCD to say there's gotta be a better way! Now to get away from work long enough to finish and light her up but that'll likely be another week - wknd gonna be warm here and work is sending me to western Pa. Mon-Tues.

Thanks Steve and DW for the encouragement / reassurance!

Hoytman
Location: swOH near a little town where the homes are mobile and the cars aren’t
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 354
Coal Size/Type: nut coal
Other Heating: electric, wood, oil

Post by Hoytman » Sun. Feb. 19, 2017 8:44 pm

Can someone provide a picture of the steel liners mentioned (right and left above the brick)?

What is above the fire pot? I mean I'd like to see a picture of what's above all of those brick...the entire stove.
Thanks in advance.

KingCoal

Post by KingCoal » Mon. Feb. 20, 2017 9:36 am

i'll give it a try
not all the comments with the pics are relevant, I grabbed them out of my attachment file.

does that help ?

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”