Old Stove, Old Chimney.

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Sun. Feb. 26, 2017 1:47 am

PJT,
I don't have any pictures handy, I'll have to dig.

I had never heard of sleeping porches either, until I started house hunting here in CNY. Found quite a few.

Basically, they are a screened in porch with windows along three sides that can be closed in bad weather.

Similar enclosed porches at ground level are common where I grew up on Long Island. People called them "Florida rooms" or "three season rooms".

But the sleeping porches are always off a second floor bed room. Of the ones I've seen, all are on the rear side of the house away from the street. With French doors to the bed room. And all the houses I've seen with a sleeping porch were built in the late 1800's to early 1900's. Can't remember seeing them on newer houses than that.

Paul

Pauliewog
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Alaska 140 Dual Paddle Feed
Baseburners & Antiques: Fame Rosemont #20, Home Stove Works #25, Glenwood #6, Happy Thought Oak, Merry Bride #214, Sunnyside, Worlds Argand #114, New Golden Sun , & About 30 others.
Coal Size/Type: Stove, Chesnut, Pea, Rice / Anthracite

Post by Pauliewog » Sun. Feb. 26, 2017 2:46 am

When Carol and I got married our first house has a sleeping porch. It was also on the back of the house with windows on three sides and french doors into the bedroom.

After the 1972 flood we decided to build on higher ground and we turned the house into a duplex rental. I made the second floor bedroom that opened into the sleeping porch a kitchen.

Ironically, I saved those french doors, and this past summer finally , 45 years later, got to clean off remains of the flood mud, glue the loose veneer, paint, and install them in my long awaited Man Cave.

Unfortunately, I can't find any pictures of the original sleeping porch, but I have some of the doors. :rofl:

Wow..... Life goes by quicker than we think.... Looking back it seems like it was yesterday. Thanks for the memories!

Paulie

Attachments

temp_18.temp_taken_picture.jpg
.JPG | 496KB | temp_18.temp_taken_picture.jpg
20160327_010750.jpg
.JPG | 69.4KB | 20160327_010750.jpg

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Sun. Feb. 26, 2017 10:38 am

Man cave ? :shock: I've seen lots of professional office space that wasn't near that nice.

Not to insult you, Paulie, .... but, ...... that almost looks too good to be "manly". Did your better half have a hand in the design ? :D

Paul

KingCoal
Hand Fed Coal Stove: 1 comforter stove works all iron coal box stove, seventies.
Baseburners & Antiques: 2014 DTS C17 Base Burner, GW #6, GW 113 formerly Sir Williams, maybe others at Pauliewog’s I’ve forgotten about
Coal Size/Type: Nut Anth.
Other Heating: none

Post by KingCoal » Sun. Feb. 26, 2017 3:24 pm

Sunny Boy wrote:Man cave ? :shock: I've seen lots of professional office space that wasn't near that nice.

Not to insult you, Paulie, .... but, ...... that almost looks too good to be "manly". Did your better half have a hand in the design ? :D

Paul
:D :D :D that's funny right there.

if you ever get an invite to Paulie's don't pass it up. the number and degree's of skills on display in the features of his home , by his own hands, is a true delight. these pics don't come close to conveying the level of "NICE", even his basement "SHOP" is as or more orderly than most kitchens.

you will wait a long time to experience equal hospitality as well.

steve

Hoytman
Location: swOH near a little town where the homes are mobile and the cars aren’t
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 354
Coal Size/Type: nut coal
Other Heating: electric, wood, oil

Post by Hoytman » Sun. Feb. 26, 2017 6:21 pm

Really beautiful, Paul. You're showing your age though. :lol: I was born that year. :lol: Now I'm showing my age. :lol:

Love the trim in that house and room. My parents built a house 16 years ago and their trim is the same exact style in Poplar, but stained. Looks really nice too. I got to help my dad and two (2) grandpa's work on the house from plumbing and electric, to the finished wood work. One grandpa would used the nail gun, tap, tap, tap. The other, tap, tap, tap, tap, tap, tap, tap... :lol: Dad got a kick out of that and hid the nail guns. Great memories! Both my grandpa's are gone now and I was so fortunate to have them into my 40's so that my son could spend time with them also. I have no regrets about the time I spent with them...which was a lot. It was a real blessing for my parents to take care of them when that time came, and I was there to help too. Again, no regrets.

Pauliewog
Baseburners & Antiques: Fame Rosemont #20, Home Stove Works #25, Glenwood #6, Happy Thought Oak, Merry Bride #214, Sunnyside, Worlds Argand #114, New Golden Sun , & About 30 others.

Post by Pauliewog » Mon. Feb. 27, 2017 12:20 am

KingCoal wrote:
Sunny Boy wrote:Man cave ? :shock: I've seen lots of professional office space that wasn't near that nice.

Paul
:D that's funny right there.

if you ever get an invite to Paulie's don't pass it up. the number and degree's of skills on display in the features of his home , by his own hands, is a true delight. these pics don't come close to conveying the level of "NICE", even his basement "SHOP" is as or more orderly than most kitchens.

you will wait a long time to experience equal hospitality as well.

steve
Insulted ? :D :rofl: ..... Never my friend, like I said, it was 45 years in the planning, and maybe I got a little carried away. Other than the color, Carol pretty much let me do my own thing.

Now on the other hand my other buddy has me blushing. Thanks Steve for the kind words.

You guys are all like part of the family and are welcome to stop over for a visit anytime.
Just send me a pm, and I'll give you directions.

Carol wants me to build a curved hearth for the family room fireplace, but she put the sprags to my current vision.

Paulie

Attachments

Screenshot_2017-02-27-00-16-19-1.png
.PNG | 997.3KB | Screenshot_2017-02-27-00-16-19-1.png

Pauliewog

Post by Pauliewog » Mon. Feb. 27, 2017 12:36 am

Hoytman wrote:Really beautiful, Paul. You're showing your age though. :lol: I was born that year. :lol: Now I'm showing my age. :lol:

Love the trim in that house and room. My parents built a house 16 years ago and their trim is the same exact style in Poplar, but stained. Looks really nice too. I got to help my dad and two (2) grandpa's work on the house from plumbing and electric, to the finished wood work. One grandpa would used the nail gun, tap, tap, tap. The other, tap, tap, tap, tap, tap, tap, tap... :lol: Dad got a kick out of that and hid the nail guns. Great memories! Both my grandpa's are gone now and I was so fortunate to have them into my 40's so that my son could spend time with them also. I have no regrets about the time I spent with them...which was a lot. It was a real blessing for my parents to take care of them when that time came, and I was there to help too. Again, no regrets.
Thanks Bill,

My dad was my age now when I built my house. I cherish the same memories, and get melancholy when I tear out something that we built together, to make room for the new.
My man cave project is part of this thread.
1892 Monarch Fireplace Insert

Paulie

windyhill4.2
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1960 EFM520 installed in truck box
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Crane 404 with variable blower
Coal Size/Type: 404-nut, 520 rice ,anthracite for both

Post by windyhill4.2 » Mon. Feb. 27, 2017 6:10 am

In regards to the curved hearth.. :eek2:

It's good you have a wife. :)

Nice work & final outcome on your other work. :up:

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”