Axeman Auger Tube Head Issue

Townsend
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 50-93 & Harman Mark I
Coal Size/Type: Pea / Nut

Post by Townsend » Mon. Mar. 13, 2017 4:02 pm

My Axeman 260 has been making a grinding noise sound. Also, I have fines leaking out from the lower part of the auger feed head. Fines have been leaking for 2 seasons from a small opening under the head area. The opening looks like it is part of the design. The fines are not really an issue, but I wonder if it is related to the recent grinding noise sound. The sound is cyclical but sometimes only for short periods of time. It doesn't always make the noise. Upon oiling the sound subsides. When I rebuilt the boiler around 6 years ago I recall buying a new transfer tube gasket, I believe it was brass. Wondering if it would go this quick and need replacement.

Any Axeman people with fines dropping out etc?

McGiever
Stoker Coal Boiler: AXEMAN-ANDERSON 130 "1959"
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: BUCKET A DAY water heater
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning 414A
Coal Size/Type: PEA,NUT,STOVE /ANTHRACITE
Other Heating: Ground Source Heat Pump and some Solar

Post by McGiever » Mon. Mar. 13, 2017 4:51 pm

From a deceased and badly missed member here...
whistlenut wrote:Alex, I have an EFM DF520 and had a 900 for 3 years. I have worked on and installed a few AP520's, a 700 another 900 and take care of a bunch of other boilers. Your question about the fines build-up in the transfer head is related to Axeman units is answered by saying there is no access door specifically for that issue, however you can take off the 3 nuts on the transfer head and pop the cover to see what is causing the issue. Usually the sacrificial Brass Split Rings are worn beyond tolerance, and allows the fines to migrate out to the floor, or stay aboard and cause rapid wear. The entire head is removable if you need to go that far, and is a once in 15 years adventure. In an AHS, EFM, Keystoker, Yellow Flame and a Van Wert, it is a non issue.

I suppose you are aware of the 'fines lever' on a EFM350 or 520, but the larger models self clean. This may have been your original question, but the 'fines' are not an issue unless wet coal is added to a barrel or bin feeding an EFM. EFM has a removable plate to access the bottom of the burn pot, and I suppose that you could remove and clean from that angle. It is pretty accurate to say that these rigs are VERY dependable and with modest care will last a couple lifetimes. If you choose an inclined flat bed stoker, you have even less parts or complexity to deal with. I have burned in most available stoker boilers and will say again, that all of them are very good, some are even better, depending upon what your needs are.
And here is another discussion...Axeman Chatter/ Groaning Form Anthratube! Need Ideas.

CapeCoaler
Stoker Coal Boiler: want AA130
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine BS#4, Harman MKII, Hitzer 503,...
Coal Size/Type: Pea/Nut/Stove

Post by CapeCoaler » Mon. Mar. 13, 2017 9:30 pm

Yep missing his insights...
And his Humor... ;)
But a wealth of knowledge in his posts...

Return to “Stoker Coal Boilers Using Anthracite (Hydronic & Steam)”