Shear Pin Issues With EFM 520, Ready to Throw in the Towel

mooseman100
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520

Post by mooseman100 » Fri. Mar. 24, 2017 11:40 am

Thank you for the responses.
The coal is very dry. I buy it in July and it goes under shed where no water can hit it and each bag is stacked on a pallet so air can flow around and under.

This is the first year that I have burned any buck, I got 11 ton in this past summer and ordered only 4 of buck. The rest is rice which is what I have always burned up until this past season. For sure you can hear a bit more grinding in the tube. I tried it because it was $30/ ton cheaper and folks on this board said they have had experience with it as well as the good folks at direnzo. I am actually burning a mix of buck and rice. The problems I have have been before buck when I was only using rice. Two years ago I got rice from Sherman, who I had been using from the get go, and it was super dirty and dusty, Lots and lots of fines. That of course could clog up the tube. I cleaned everything out this year to get rid of that stuff.

Again the tube pipe is factory pipe, so I would assume it is ok.
The extension is whatever the longer worm is, I would guess 5' or so. I cut 4" off and welded the flight back on at end so that the worm would stop just short of the dog house and not go into main bin. The end of the worm sits about 3" off the ground so that coal is all around the last flights.
Pacowy wrote:Sorry to hear of the trouble you're having. Like others my first thought would be the rocks/gravel issue. Even the coal itself could be stressing the auger, depending upon the sizing. EFM spec is for rice; many have successfully used buck, but big buck with some oversized pcs might not work so well. Might want to use a screen on the feed bin to catch rocks/debris/oversize pcs before they get to the auger. x2 on sc's thought to check pipe ID's. Also, flighting of extension should match pot auger, auger shaft should have no bends, and exposed end of auger extension should be clear of the bottom of the feed bin and any obstructions. How long is the extension?

Mike

mooseman100

Post by mooseman100 » Fri. Mar. 24, 2017 11:43 am

For sure I have noticed more fume issues this year. There are times when it is pure buck for a couple of days and then pure rice, but mostly mixed as I put in an equal amount of each.
Pacowy wrote:
davidmcbeth3 wrote:Reading the thread I don't see why the OP is running buck v. rice, the preferred and recommended size.

I would imagine that choosing a particle size distribution would have a major impact on equipment design. If they wanted to move buck around v. rice the design likely would have been different.
AFAIK the S-20 stoker on the 520 originally was named that based on it's ability to burn 20 lb/hr of buck. After some amount of customer experience in using it, EFM recommended rice-only. My understanding is much of the change was driven by fume issues that arose (esp. when no extension auger was used), but I could imagine others had feed issues with big buck or even a small percentage of oversized pieces in smaller buck.

Mike

mooseman100

Post by mooseman100 » Fri. Mar. 24, 2017 11:45 am

does anybody know of anybody who installed these beasts that would travel to Winchester, VA. I would assume go ahead and put in new timer and controller and have somebody who knows what the heck they are looking at correct anything I may have done wrong. Install manometer at same time.

mooseman100

Post by mooseman100 » Fri. Mar. 24, 2017 11:54 am

Scottscoaled, I just saw your message and I think I responded but I can not see that it went. Feel free to contact me on my cell 540-974-6818
Brent

CoalHeat
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1959 EFM 350
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Magnafire Mark I
Baseburners & Antiques: Sears Signal Oak 15 & Andes Kitchen Range
Coal Size/Type: Rice and Chestnut
Other Heating: Fisher Fireplace Insert

Post by CoalHeat » Fri. Mar. 24, 2017 12:20 pm

I didn't know that, interesting.

The buck I ran was from the old Harmony mine, it was before I installed the draft inducer. It was an effort to have more airflow through the coal bed to counteract outfires.

waldo lemieux

Post by waldo lemieux » Fri. Mar. 24, 2017 1:03 pm

So just to be clear you have never had the pot auger or pipe off? If so could it be a bent auger or crapped up gooseneck bushing?

mooseman100

Post by mooseman100 » Fri. Mar. 24, 2017 1:10 pm

I had it loose this past year, other than that it has never been off
waldo lemieux wrote:So just to be clear you have never had the pot auger or pipe off? If so could it be a bent auger or crapped up gooseneck bushing?

mooseman100

Post by mooseman100 » Fri. Mar. 24, 2017 1:15 pm

[Let me correct that, I did replace the pot auger, the one that goes thru the furnance to the drive side and it is new with new bushing. I just loosened up the pipe re gasket and slide back in tight and re tightened. Problems were before and after that

quote="mooseman100"]I had it loose this past year, other than that it has never been off
waldo lemieux wrote:So just to be clear you have never had the pot auger or pipe off? If so could it be a bent auger or crapped up gooseneck bushing?
[/quote]

waldo lemieux

Post by waldo lemieux » Fri. Mar. 24, 2017 1:34 pm

I don't know what the issue is but its something stupid.... Im on my 4th season and Ive never snapped a shear pin. I only have used rice and only have 4' of pipe total. I wouldnt kick it to the curb just yet!

windyhill4.2
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1960 EFM520 installed in truck box
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Crane 404 with variable blower
Coal Size/Type: 404-nut, 520 rice ,anthracite for both

Post by windyhill4.2 » Fri. Mar. 24, 2017 1:41 pm

I've run 27+ tons of rice thru mine, no pin sheared yet, am currently using large rice from Gale Mining.

fifthg
Verified Business Rep.
Hand Fed Coal Stove: warm morning # 500
Baseburners & Antiques: Peninsular Western Hot Blast No.44K and Reading Foundry & Supply Co.

Post by fifthg » Fri. Mar. 24, 2017 2:52 pm

I once had an almost razor thin piece of tube from under the coupler wear off and work its way up a few flights into the pot tube.You may need to pull your auger entirely to look for something trapped.If you can pull just your coupler,maybe you can reverse the auger to back the blockage out.

Scottscoaled
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520, 700, Van Wert 800 GJ 61,53
Baseburners & Antiques: Magic Stewart 16, times 2!
Coal Size/Type: Lots of buck
Other Heating: Slant Fin electric boiler backup

Post by Scottscoaled » Fri. Mar. 24, 2017 4:13 pm

mooseman100 wrote:[Let me correct that, I did replace the pot auger, the one that goes thru the furnance to the drive side and it is new with new bushing. I just loosened up the pipe re gasket and slide back in tight and re tightened. Problems were before and after that
Why did you have to change that auger?

mooseman100

Post by mooseman100 » Fri. Mar. 24, 2017 4:57 pm

Because I am stupid and seem to only learn the hard way. I was tiredof shear pins breaking, so I put hard cotter keys in instead. That dang motor sheared the shaft of the opt worm right where it goes into the threaded coupler to the extension worm! Talk about strong. I figured it would have sheared gears before breaking a shaft. That is when scrapper bailed me out and got me a new opt worm in two days. Great guy
Scottscoaled wrote:
mooseman100 wrote:[Let me correct that, I did replace the pot auger, the one that goes thru the furnance to the drive side and it is new with new bushing. I just loosened up the pipe re gasket and slide back in tight and re tightened. Problems were before and after that
Why did you have to change that auger?

waldo lemieux

Post by waldo lemieux » Fri. Mar. 24, 2017 5:18 pm

mooseman100 wrote: That dang motor sheared the shaft of the opt worm right where it goes into the threaded coupler to the extension worm!
Then it might stand to reason thet whatever obstruction you have is in the bin auger/tube and that leads me to believe you should be using rice coal and change your filling procedure to eliminate the possibility of rocks getting in the system. maybe......

Return to “Stoker Coal Boilers Using Anthracite (Hydronic & Steam)”