Coal in,... Money Out ?

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Sat. Mar. 25, 2017 11:59 am

At about 20% ash by weight, if only they could setup to recycle homeowner coal ashm just like they do with plastics and metals, there'd be money in those ash pans. And it might help boost the coal industry by removing some of the negatives and increasing demand ????

http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/coal-ash-world-importing-46327391

I can remember how all the bottles and cans disappeared from the grass alongside the Long Island parkways the morning after the recycling law made the cans and bottles worth something. And most of the scrap metal dumped along roads disappeared when that had value and places to trade it in for money. ;)

Paul

LehighanthraciteMatt
Verified Business Rep.
Stoker Coal Boiler: Van Wert
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Alaska
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning
Coal Size/Type: Rice,Buck, and Nut

Post by LehighanthraciteMatt » Sat. Mar. 25, 2017 12:40 pm

Sunny Boy wrote:At about 20% ash by weight, if only they could setup to recycle homeowner coal ashm just like they do with plastics and metals, there'd be money in those ash pans. And it might help boost the coal industry by removing some of the negatives and increasing demand ????

I can remember how all the bottles and cans disappeared from the grass alongside the Long Island parkways the morning after the recycling law made the cans and bottles worth something. And most of the scrap metal dumped along roads disappeared when that had value and places to trade it in for money. ;)

Paul
20% ASH !!!!!!!!!! :shock:

Pacowy
Stoker Coal Boiler: H.B. Smith 350 Mills boiler/EFM 85R stoker
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat/anthracite

Post by Pacowy » Sat. Mar. 25, 2017 4:42 pm

Probably about half true ash and half unburned coal. Many people have found numbers around there.

Mike

blrman07

Post by blrman07 » Sun. Mar. 26, 2017 3:20 am

Where I live you can put your ash tubs out once a week and the borough comes by with their dump truck and picks em up. They mix it with the salt and it gets spread on the roads for non-skid. Coal ash works WONDERFUL for traction when you get yourself stuck in the snow. I always keep two buckets available during the winter time. Used it twice this winter to get the truck out of the parking space.

gaw
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker KA-6
Coal Size/Type: Rice from Schuylkill County

Post by gaw » Sun. Mar. 26, 2017 4:27 am

My township does the same Larry except we have no pickup service. I haul mine and the neighbors ash to the local pile to be used as anti-skid on the township roads.

Rich W.
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Vermont Castings Vigilant Multi-Fuel (coal for me); Vermont Castings Vigilant 2310 in the shop
Coal Size/Type: Nut
Other Heating: System 2000 Oil Burner; VC Resolute Woodstove (sold) Jotul 8 Woodstove (sold)

Post by Rich W. » Sun. Mar. 26, 2017 8:16 am

I use it on the driveway for safe walking in the winter, and it works better than anything else I've tried. Yesterday I put the hose to it, flushed it away, and you'd never know that it was there. Maybe too soon though....there's frost on everything this morning!

windyhill4.2
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1960 EFM520 installed in truck box
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Crane 404 with variable blower
Coal Size/Type: 404-nut, 520 rice ,anthracite for both

Post by windyhill4.2 » Sun. Mar. 26, 2017 11:04 am

It has been a few yrs since I bought salt & or sand, so I don't remember how much I spent on those items each yr. My boiler ash/cinders really work well for my 400' driveway ,the parking areas,& walkways to enable folks & vehicles to navigate safely & allows them to navigate during those times when no cinders would mean no navigation would be possible. I don't have any $$ amount assigned to those cinders,but I value them enough to stockpile them. I also use them on areas of ground that we frequently walk/drive on which helps cut the mud on feet/tires. I plan to spread them on paths that I have thru my wooded areas that have no grass & get smeary muddy when wet.

I would say that the idea of coal in & money out would fit my situation,even tho I am not receiving $$ for each pound of my cinders. I still live by the concept of "a penny saved is a penny earned".

Sunny Boy

Post by Sunny Boy » Sun. Mar. 26, 2017 12:41 pm

LehighanthraciteMatt wrote:
Sunny Boy wrote:At about 20% ash by weight, if only they could setup to recycle homeowner coal ashm just like they do with plastics and metals, there'd be money in those ash pans. And it might help boost the coal industry by removing some of the negatives and increasing demand ????

Paul
20% ASH !!!!!!!!!! :shock:
Sorry. By volume. More like 10% by weight. :oops:

Paul

Sunny Boy

Post by Sunny Boy » Sun. Mar. 26, 2017 12:50 pm

blrman07 wrote:Where I live you can put your ash tubs out once a week and the borough comes by with their dump truck and picks em up. They mix it with the salt and it gets spread on the roads for non-skid. Coal ash works WONDERFUL for traction when you get yourself stuck in the snow. I always keep two buckets available during the winter time. Used it twice this winter to get the truck out of the parking space.
My garbage company will pickup ashes, too. However, coal ash not being considered a recyclable they just dump it into the land fill with everything else. That's why I started using it for fill for my crushed stone driveway, parking areas and low spots in the lawn.

But if cement companies are paying to truck coal ash in, would they also pay if it was brought to them like the metal recyclers do ? We don't have any laws demanding metals be recycled, but the money involved makes it well worth doing for private companies. And with that as an example, hopefully the state doesn't get involved and put a tax on the coal to be able to give a refund for bringing in the ash. Like they do with bottles and cans - they raise the price and you windup only getting your own money back.

Paul

lzaharis
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker KAA-4-1 dual fuel boiler
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: former switzer CWW100-sold
Coal Size/Type: rice
Other Heating: kerosene for dual fuel Keystoker/unused

Post by lzaharis » Sun. Mar. 26, 2017 2:26 pm

For what its worth,

When I visited Arnie at A+B van Wert we chatted about boilers and about the unburned coal he had left in his ash and he said he just gives it to a nearby neighbor with a dairy and he uses it for traction grit in his free stall barn for his cows.

I have found that sending in the spent coal ash back in the hopper burns up the coal that was
not burned for all that is worth, and the ash is much much lighter too.
I have all of the coal ash that is grey/brown in color that we are used to with no un burned rice coal to be seen in the ash baskets on the second trip through.

The local power plants ash contractor reclaimed all the un-burned coal that was left from the pulverized coal boilers ashes that were floated in the boilers sump and pumped out of the twin boilers wet sumps and sold it back to to local utility when they were burying the utilities ash on the power plant property to dispose of it.

tcalo
Baseburners & Antiques: Crawford 40
Coal Size/Type: Nut/stove anthracite

Post by tcalo » Tue. Mar. 28, 2017 5:12 pm

I've always wondered, don't using it for non skid make a mess of the house? I've thought about using it in my driveway in the winter, but my wife would kill me if it gets dragged into the house!

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Tue. Mar. 28, 2017 5:19 pm

Indeed it does t. I stock pile mine till spring---then sprinkle some sakrete on it, dampen & roll the tears out of it.

windyhill4.2
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1960 EFM520 installed in truck box
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Crane 404 with variable blower
Coal Size/Type: 404-nut, 520 rice ,anthracite for both

Post by windyhill4.2 » Tue. Mar. 28, 2017 8:32 pm

tcalo wrote:I've always wondered, don't using it for non skid make a mess of the house? I've thought about using it in my driveway in the winter, but my wife would kill me if it gets dragged into the house!
Yes it gets drug into the house,just like sand or salt,altho the salt is typically just sticky moisture.Snow makes a mess...

Better to clean some coal ashes off the floor than to clean blood off the ice on the driveway.

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Tue. Mar. 28, 2017 9:00 pm

What??? you people don't have mud rooms?

coalfan
Hand Fed Coal Stove: ds circultor1500 \chubby coal stove
Coal Size/Type: nut/ pea ant.some bit.
Other Heating: kerosene\cold nat. gas

Post by coalfan » Wed. Mar. 29, 2017 8:08 am

come on fred I have said that to some people and they were lost lol !! its todays society you know better !!. :) :roll:

Return to “Coal News & General Coal Discussions”