Coffee 4-8-2017

Freddy
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 130 (pea)
Coal Size/Type: Pea size, Superior, deep mined

Post by Freddy » Sat. Apr. 08, 2017 5:24 am

Come in, come in, spend a moment & share a thought. All are welcome. The coffee is hot & the tea water is hotter. Half & half & real sugar today. None of that fake stuff that's good for you. Live it up now & then! Pancakes, fresh fruit, and bacon for the meat lovers. We have you covered!

Finally, just maybe, Spring is showing it's face. We've had a few days of clouds & drizzle, but today & tomorrow are looking to be partly sunny & 60's? OK! I'll bet that next Saturday will have us snow free and growing grass. Maybe shut down the Axeman & go on heat pumps? We do give up some comfort to save coal. Oh, what the znerk, let the coal keep burning!

It took a week to recover from playing Pickle Ball the first time. I think I'm ready for more abuse. Today, 10AM. Be there!

Hope you all have a smooth weekend. Hug your loved ones & forward we go.

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Sat. Apr. 08, 2017 6:17 am

Good morning. I was excited that I had nothing planned this morning and could sleep in...naturally I woke up at 0400 sharp. Oh well, some extra coffee and quiet time on the computer is good too.

After three days of rain, this morning I woke up to roaring wind and some snow. Chairs got blown off the porch, EFM is running pretty steady - it is not heat pump season yet. I have about two weeks worth of coal left and think that will be it for me. It is supposed to be 72 degrees on Monday! I fear the maple season is going to come to a quick hault - no subfreezing temperatures forecasted for the next week.

In other news, tomorrow morning my wife leaves for a business trip to China. She is flying to Hong Kong and then taking a ferry to mainland China. I can't remember the name of the city she is going to, but I think the population is about 50% over NYC. She should be home next Friday. It will be just me and the kids this week. :o :baby:

Enjoy the day.

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Sat. Apr. 08, 2017 6:52 am

Mornin all, had 4" of snow yesterday AM here on the hill. Gone by noon. I'm leavin some fresh syrup & home churned butter--love my bacon. Nice move Freddy--thanx! 28* as we speak:) Yep, callin for warmer temps. Gotta put a new push rod in the Cub Cadet, other then that--nothing. Sugarin's been done for a couple weeks here. Good season. Enjoy the week-end people. Rob, enjoy Daddy week!! :)

blrman07

Post by blrman07 » Sat. Apr. 08, 2017 7:43 am

All I got to say is come on Spring!!! I had switched to wood thinking that I could get that nice coating of creosote so I wouldn't get any rust inside my stove but NOOO!! Three days of rain and dropping temps and then yesterday we get hefty wind, snow, sleet, and rain all at the same time. :evil: I poured the coal into the stove on top of the wood and opened the little thermostat thingy on the corner rear of the stove to about half way and let er rip. Got up this morning and it's 33 outside but 70 inside. Yeah I love it.

You guys made me hungry for pancakes so guess I'll have some this morning. Hmmm maple syrup? Rats all I got is generic syrup from the grocery store. :oops:

Scottscoaled
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520, 700, Van Wert 800 GJ 61,53
Baseburners & Antiques: Magic Stewart 16, times 2!
Coal Size/Type: Lots of buck
Other Heating: Slant Fin electric boiler backup

Post by Scottscoaled » Sat. Apr. 08, 2017 8:08 am

Oh yeah! Some pancakes with maple syrup sound like the bomb! I'm almost out so a trip to restock is going to happen soon. Looks like the worm is finally turning and spring is coming to town. Today we are putting in a new injection pump into the VW TDI. It has been taking up the workspace in the garage so nothing else has been worked on. The tractors haven't gotten the spring oil changes, the stokers haven't been rebuilt. This is something that I've been trying to avoid because it is a bit above my abilities, so it's a make it or break it type thing. Wish me luck! Rob, x2 on the "enjoy the Dad's week"! Don't stop too fast as you will have a boy pile up behind you. :lol: :lol:

the snowman
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Jotul 507
Coal Size/Type: Nut, Stove coal, Egg coal

Post by the snowman » Sat. Apr. 08, 2017 8:58 am

Morning all,

I think I will just grab a cup of java this morning. The rain finally stopped the other day as it turned to snow. I am always happy with that. We had another dusting of snow overnight. Snowmobile riding is now extremely limited to a few wood covered trails. The season is about over for this year. I hope we get an early winter next season. It has been a busy week for my wife and myself. I drove more miles than I like, however, we do what we need to do.

I had a couple friends who I bicycle with stop early this week with their bikes looking to get in a quick 40 mile cycle. I had been out on Tuesday and froze my hands in the cold wind. I was not looking for a repeat performance. So, needless to say twenty miles into the ride it started to rain, actually pour. I do not mind riding in the warm wind, heat and sun but I do not ride in the rain. So here I am riding in the rain with a bike that is lubricated for dry conditions. The next 20 miles we rode at full gas. Everyone brought their bikes in my house so they could dry off before loading them into their vehicles. I hope our next ride lacks the rain and cold wind.

Working in the shop today as I need to clean up. I have tools and jigs lying on the assembly tables that need to be put away as well as I need to put the scraps of lumber back into proper storage. No real work today just cleaning up. I say this but I seem to always find myself working late into the night.

I hope everyone has a safe and productive weekend.

The snowman.

Freddy
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 130 (pea)
Coal Size/Type: Pea size, Superior, deep mined

Post by Freddy » Sat. Apr. 08, 2017 12:07 pm

Rob R. wrote:She is flying to Hong Kong and then taking a ferry to mainland China
The only thing I know about China is: If you can eat the local food, it's cheap.....but if you "require" American food, it's going to cost you!
I hope she has a great trip & you enjoy the Dad time.
freetown fred wrote: Gotta put a new push rod in the Cub Cadet, other then that--nothing.
Isn't putting a push rod in an all day lollipop? :)
the snowman wrote:looking to get in a quick 40 mile cycle

I wish I could, my back just won't let me....a 40 mile cycle would be another all day lollipop.... and a week recovery LOL. Enjoy the ride!

pintoplumber
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Burnham number series 17
Other Heating: Oil, forced hot air. Rheem

Post by pintoplumber » Sat. Apr. 08, 2017 12:16 pm

Hi guys, just an update on my new hip. Things are going pretty good, I'm walking a mile and a half every day. Some stretches of the walk I carry the cane. I see the surgeon on Friday for a 6 week check up. Dennis

lowfog01
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Mark II & Mark I
Coal Size/Type: nut/pea

Post by lowfog01 » Sat. Apr. 08, 2017 3:59 pm

Morning all,

We had some weird weather the last couple of days, 70* Thursday morning but it dropped to 35* with heavy rains as a major cold front came through with a couple of F-0 tornadoes with hit and miss patterns. The normal roads were flooded and power lines were down all over. Of course that all happened right as the schools dismissed. That was followed by a lot of wind and falling trees Friday. We were without power for a couple of hours yesterday evening and I was seriously thinking I'd be re-lighting the stove. The house got down to 60* when the power came back on. I just kept waiting because sure as shooting I knew the power would come on the minute I lit the fire. We had frost on the car this morning but hopefully that's the end of winter.

The upcoming week is the Spring break and my to do list is a mile long. I'll be busy for sure. I hope everyone has a great weekend. Take care, Lisa

Rob R.
Site Moderator

Post by Rob R. » Sat. Apr. 08, 2017 7:32 pm

Beautiful night in Northern NY. Not sure if my phone captured it, but the snow on the mountains looked bright pink.

Attachments

IMG_20170408_192554692_HDR.jpg
.JPG | 80.7KB | IMG_20170408_192554692_HDR.jpg
IMG_20170408_192439450.jpg
.JPG | 96.2KB | IMG_20170408_192439450.jpg

ricoman2737
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM DF520
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat
Other Heating: Lennox Fuel Oil boiler as a backup

Post by ricoman2737 » Sun. Apr. 09, 2017 7:24 am

Good Morning Everyone, especially to my neighbor over the hill " FF ".

Been pumping water for 4 days, started out running 3 sump pumps, now down to 2 pumps, maybe at the end of the day, should be down to 1. This is the draw back to living in a valley not far from the Otselic River. Oh well been doing it for over 40 years.

Around 8:30 am, my son, his friend and I are headed for the Deruyter American Legion for their monthly breakfast buffet, only $ 7.00 and what a spread.

Have a great week one and all.

And Rob treat the boys to something special while the bride is gone. I hope her trip isn't all work, what an opportunity on somebody else's money.

John

lsayre
Stoker Coal Boiler: AHS S130 Coal Gun
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh Anthracite Pea
Other Heating: Resistance Boiler (13.5 KW), ComfortMax 75

Post by lsayre » Sun. Apr. 09, 2017 7:39 am

Rob R. wrote:In other news, tomorrow morning my wife leaves for a business trip to China. She is flying to Hong Kong and then taking a ferry to mainland China. I can't remember the name of the city she is going to, but I think the population is 3x that of NYC.
I'm guessing Shanghai, with 22 million people. But if she is going via boat from Hong Kong it may be Guangzhou, with close to 14 million.

Rob R.
Site Moderator

Post by Rob R. » Sun. Apr. 09, 2017 8:38 am

It is Guangzhou. Guess I was way off on my population estimate...Although 14 million is still about 13.999 million more than I am accustomed to.

Hambden Bob
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Harman 1998 Magnum Stoker
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Blower Model Coal Chubby 1982-Serial#0097
Coal Size/Type: Rice-A-Roni ! / Nut
Other Heating: Pro-Pain Forced Air

Post by Hambden Bob » Sun. Apr. 09, 2017 10:17 am

Well,Good Sunday Morning,Gang !

I've chosen to leisurely stroll into the Coffee Haus this late A.M. instead of a forced and compressed arrival late yesterday. We had just one little 'Ol Thursday night/Friday Morning heavy,wet snowstorm and everything just sailed to hell. We haven't any leaves on trees yet,but the plate-out onto the trees,coupled with high-gusty winds caused alot of wood to fall into wires and roadways. Pines drooped down to their demise so all that triggered me working two days worth of long hours of poopy Outdoor fun !

So,all of that aside,We seem to be heading back toward some beautiful weather ! I'll take it.......

Keepaeyeonit
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood #8
Coal Size/Type: Nut & stove
Other Heating: 49 year old oil furnace, and finally a new heat pump

Post by Keepaeyeonit » Sun. Apr. 09, 2017 7:47 pm

Good evening folks of Freddy's Coffee House Ill grab a cold one and hit the road :out: , and as usual everyones doing there thing including me. I had a very productive weekend prepping for the 1st camping trip and trying to finish up on uplifting the new ride, installed the rear trailer plug and built the hitch plate for the rear.
IMG_0122.jpg
.JPG | 137.9KB | IMG_0122.jpg
IMG_0123.jpg
.JPG | 86.1KB | IMG_0123.jpg
IMG_0125.jpg
.JPG | 154.7KB | IMG_0125.jpg
I finally moved the spare tire but broke the mount so I will need to make a new one( I'm going to machine one from a solid piece of aluminum instead of a shitty cast one) and almost finished up the firewood bulkhead for the bed, I still have the Glenwood idling along but not sure how much longer as the temps are getting into the 60's and 70's.
Ok friends take care and behave yourself :lol:
pintoplumber wrote:Hi guys, just an update on my new hip. Things are going pretty good, I'm walking a mile and a half every day. Some stretches of the walk I carry the cane. I see the surgeon on Friday for a 6 week check up. Dennis
I'm glad to hear everything is going good for you, just remember that camping season is about to start :yes:

Return to “The Coffee House”