Other Heating: Drolet woodstove, gas

Post by Wren » Fri. Apr. 14, 2017 8:01 pm

Thank you, Sunny Boy!

Wren
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Tiger 130, Glenwood 116, Glenwood 208 C
Coal Size/Type: Stove

Post by Wren » Sun. Apr. 16, 2017 2:52 pm

Any cylinder stove would be for coal? Or not necessarily?

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Sun. Apr. 16, 2017 3:10 pm

Wren wrote:Any cylinder stove would be for coal? Or not necessarily?
Not necessarily. "Cylinder stove" is just a category by shape. It includes the oaks. It also includes base heaters like the Glenwood #6 & 8, the Wings Best 116X, the Harold #6 and others of that type. Plus your lil' Tiger.

The type of grates put in that stove are more of what determines if it's a coal, or wood stove. Or meant to be both, like your Glenwood Modern oak.

Paul

Wren

Post by Wren » Sun. Apr. 16, 2017 4:01 pm

Hmm. Well you know how Canada is. No law abiding cit. would use coal. Someone local is tossing a Champion something 23. Cylinder shape...but could be for wood only? Champion Stewart 23. I would take it for couple hunnert asked. But only if takes coal. What a funny country I live in.

Wren

Post by Wren » Fri. Apr. 28, 2017 6:59 pm

"it won't take you long before you will be able to judge the temp by touching the oven door, and you will find that there will be a cooler area on that too generally on the bottom corner furtherest from the firebox but be aware when I say cooler it wille still be quite hot, just a bit cooler than the top corner closest the firebox
wet your fingers and flick droplets at the door , if they turn to instant steam it is hot enough for scones, if they bubble a bit before drying its good for a roast, if they run down the door steaming gently its just about ready for a small sponge, or sponge topped pudding - but stoke the fire now so the top will brown, or leave the fire to go out and put your pav in now
there were many other ways to gauge the heat of a non indicating oven, remember though that these were only indicators and the oven must have been turned on for a while before using them"

Starting cleanup but weather cold here and I think I'll be burning coal a bit longer. Dreaming of next winter and a possible range. Summer Overloaded with tasks. Reading anything about coal is my justifiable escape from reality.
Must read all those posts about storing stove pipe for the summer.

Wren

Post by Wren » Fri. Apr. 28, 2017 7:00 pm

"it won't take you long before you will be able to judge the temp by touching the oven door, and you will find that there will be a cooler area on that too generally on the bottom corner furtherest from the firebox but be aware when I say cooler it wille still be quite hot, just a bit cooler than the top corner closest the firebox
wet your fingers and flick droplets at the door , if they turn to instant steam it is hot enough for scones, if they bubble a bit before drying its good for a roast, if they run down the door steaming gently its just about ready for a small sponge, or sponge topped pudding - but stoke the fire now so the top will brown, or leave the fire to go out and put your pav in now
there were many other ways to gauge the heat of a non indicating oven, remember though that these were only indicators and the oven must have been turned on for a while before using them"

Starting cleanup but weather cold here and I think I'll be burning coal a bit longer. Dreaming of next winter and a possible range. Summer Overloaded with tasks. Reading anything about coal is my justifiable escape from reality.
Must read all those posts about storing stove pipe for the summer.

Wren

Post by Wren » Sun. Apr. 30, 2017 3:49 pm

No one has bought it so I have told him I'll take it. I'm going to be pushing coal to my children.

Attachments

$_35.JPG
.JPG | 8.6KB | $_35.JPG

CoalHeat
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1959 EFM 350
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Magnafire Mark I
Baseburners & Antiques: Sears Signal Oak 15 & Andes Kitchen Range
Coal Size/Type: Rice and Chestnut
Other Heating: Fisher Fireplace Insert

Post by CoalHeat » Mon. May. 01, 2017 9:05 pm

It's beautiful!

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Tue. May. 02, 2017 2:32 pm

Wren wrote:No one has bought it so I have told him I'll take it. I'm going to be pushing coal to my children.
Nice find, Wren.

Sure is easy to get distracted looking for a kitchen range, huh ? :lol:

I can't complain. Last weekend one of my stoves went to one daughter who is nearing completion of building a new house. She gained a stove, some independence from the power company,...... and I gained some floor space. :D

Paul

Wren

Post by Wren » Tue. May. 02, 2017 6:16 pm

Thanks, and that's wonderful to hear that children will take them. It's a security against an outage too, and such nice heat.

I feel like I'm picking up a stray animal. I don't need it but it's a shame that they can wind up scrapped here. We Canadians are quite ignorant about coal use. I am thinking of seeing what needs to be done to it and perhaps selling it for a more normal price(Lol! on ebay, perhaps) as a move towards a coal range, because I have a feeling the one I want... well, one never knows. I may find one in Canada for a ridiculous price because, as you know,(emoji rolling its eyes), we aren't really allowed to burn it inside. I do see a few ranges around, even one with a water reservoir .... They are called wood stoves in advertising and then they say coal and wood afterwards. But I have a feeling that if I really want to cook with it I should get one that has been worked on and that it might be worth the extra money. The ranges are I guess more complicated than the stoves.

Old Arthur is getting rid of it. I'd like to know how it came to Canada, and whether he used it. It is terrible that one cannot ask such a question in public. And the local whose father burns coal inside in Manitoba says a friend of her father's told him about it and that she thinks many out there will burn it, although it will be banned as of June 30 in a move calculated to irritate farmers and the Hutterite community. Her father has only just switched to coal and has no intention of stopping.

philthy
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoke Koker Lite, Alaska Kast Konsole
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood #6, Glenwood #116 x 2, Crawford 40

Post by philthy » Tue. May. 02, 2017 8:50 pm

Nice stove! Imagine what that thing will look like with a fire in it.

Wren

Post by Wren » Wed. May. 03, 2017 2:20 pm

Thanks Philthy. Love your name. I keep a lot of fast orange around since I started coal. I'm cleaner in general than when I started though, and I will maybe never buy that shredded charcoal as start up material ever again. Black up to my elbows. Aieeee!

joeq
Hand Fed Coal Stove: G111, Southard Robertson

Post by joeq » Wed. May. 03, 2017 4:50 pm

Another beauty Jen. You have officially made it to coal stove "fanaticism". Just keep saying out loud..."My name is Jen, and I'm an addict". It won't help you, but give others a reason to sympathize. ;)

Wren

Post by Wren » Wed. May. 03, 2017 9:50 pm

Lol! I make excuses but it doesn't wash? Too funny. Thanks for letting me know, Joeq. But...they must be rescued?!! I think they remind me of many nice things.

Wren

Post by Wren » Thu. May. 04, 2017 4:13 pm

Typical: Arthur had nothing to say. Was going to heat a garage. HUGE crack in firepot, but the wood and coal grates. Really nice though. A little more abuse and then it's hopefully happier life will begin. Took it apart more easily than last time. Get some grate pics at home. My name is Jenny and I'm....

Attachments

IMAG2915.jpg
.JPG | 74.6KB | IMAG2915.jpg
IMAG2908.jpg
.JPG | 77.7KB | IMAG2908.jpg
IMAG2910.jpg
.JPG | 108.2KB | IMAG2910.jpg
IMAG2913.jpg
.JPG | 78.1KB | IMAG2913.jpg

Return to “Antiques, Baseburners, Kitchen Stoves, Restorations & Modern Reproductions”