New Chimney

Keepaeyeonit
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood #8
Coal Size/Type: Nut & stove
Other Heating: 49 year old oil furnace, and finally a new heat pump

Post by Keepaeyeonit » Sat. Apr. 22, 2017 11:21 am

Well Jack I think with a forced draft appliance the size or shape doesn't really matter as much and with a Internal chimney ( which I feel is the best) it stays warmer so the draft is better, I do believe round will flow better then square but with a high warm chimney I'm not sure you could tell the difference between the two but with a cold outer chimney I do see the difference.

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Sun. Apr. 23, 2017 7:23 am

Den034071 wrote:The jury is still out on Round vs. square flues .Here in the coal regions 99 percent of e F M stokers are running on 8 by 8 square flues .Many of the Lehigh Patch homes have a Central Chimney With No Flues .Work great .These homes were built in 1860s for the Lehigh miners . I have fixed a few chimneys in these homes an looking at the chimneys in the Attic the Brickwork was fine .Obviously after 150 years the chimney top needed fixing .Jack
Same around here, Jack.

Lots of houses in this town have chimneys built for coal use after the railroad got here in 1875. The coal dealer's yard was on a siding across the street. This house was expanded and owned by the two successive coal dealers. The chimney in the center of the house for the octopus gravity coal furnace and the outside chimney for the kitchen range plus basement hot water heater, are both about 8 x 8 flues, square brick, unlined and almost 40 feet tall.

That old unlined brick chimney drafts so well that the smallish firebox kitchen range can be idled down to steady mano readings so low that it will scare most stove owners. ;)

Paul

Lightning
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Modified AA 130
Coal Size/Type: Pea Size - Anthracite

Post by Lightning » Sun. Apr. 23, 2017 9:09 am

Please, allow me to help you with your chimney. It will draft better this way ;)

Attachments

20170423_090645.jpg
.JPG | 602.3KB | 20170423_090645.jpg

Den034071
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer, 3095

Post by Den034071 » Sun. Apr. 23, 2017 2:09 pm

Paul our miner patch town home had a kitchen range .As I recall the chimney had one brick of draft area .Or 4 by 8 inches an it serviced the kitchen range which ran All Year long For Cooking an heating .Somehow mom the Fireman dampened the stove so the house was not too warm .When we moved to a bigger house an bought an electric range mom complained The New Stove did not produce the same meals as the Coal Range . jack

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Sun. Apr. 23, 2017 6:00 pm

Den034071 wrote:Paul our miner patch town home had a kitchen range .As I recall the chimney had one brick of draft area .Or 4 by 8 inches an it serviced the kitchen range which ran All Year long For Cooking an heating .Somehow mom the Fireman dampened the stove so the house was not too warm .When we moved to a bigger house an bought an electric range mom complained The New Stove did not produce the same meals as the Coal Range . jack
Melissa grew up with a coal range and says the same as your Mom about the pro-pain range here and the electric range at our other house. Neither can do as well as the coal range.

Me,...I'm not so fussy. I can burn food on any stove. :lol:

Paul

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”