Losing My Email Provider

Lightning
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Modified AA 130
Coal Size/Type: Pea Size - Anthracite

Post by Lightning » Sun. Apr. 23, 2017 10:21 pm

I switched over to Gmail a few years ago. I'm very happy with it. I don't think Google is going anywhere anytime soon either.

windyhill4.2
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1960 EFM520 installed in truck box
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Crane 404 with variable blower
Coal Size/Type: 404-nut, 520 rice ,anthracite for both

Post by windyhill4.2 » Sun. Apr. 23, 2017 10:35 pm

I have been using gmail for the past 7+ yrs & am very happy with it.

Richard S.
Mayor
Stoker Coal Boiler: Van Wert VA1200
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat/Anthracite

Post by Richard S. » Mon. Apr. 24, 2017 5:08 am

Sunny Boy wrote: I only use on computer with the Live Mail. Any other computer I use is away from my office so I go to my webmail account. But, no matter what I do in Live Mail the only way to delete messages in webmail is to actually log into my webmail account and delete them there.

Paul
Check the settings, there is a setting for POP3 to leave a copy of the message on the server.

If you switch it to IMAP all those folders will reside on the server and they will sync across different computers.

coalchuck
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: woodchuck 2900
Coal Size/Type: nut/stove
Other Heating: heat pump / hearth soap

Post by coalchuck » Mon. Apr. 24, 2017 7:48 am

Lisa I had the same problem you can just convert to to AOL thru verizon keep your " @verizon.net " its very easy. verizon owns AOL. You should have got a email from verizon with a link to convert everything over. AOL looks and works about the same as verizon.

top top

Post by top top » Mon. Apr. 24, 2017 8:07 am

coalchuck wrote:Lisa I had the same problem you can just convert to to AOL thru verizon keep your " @verizon.net " its very easy. verizon owns AOL. You should have got a email from verizon with a link to convert everything over. AOL looks and works about the same as verizon.
After doing that can you drop Verizon internet service and keep the email address? I'm considering switching to Xfinity.

CapeCoaler
Stoker Coal Boiler: want AA130
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine BS#4, Harman MKII, Hitzer 503,...
Coal Size/Type: Pea/Nut/Stove

Post by CapeCoaler » Mon. Apr. 24, 2017 10:05 am

Yes this is what I am doing for all my Business Verizon customers who never got their own domain. :baby:
Migrate to AOL, keep the @Verizon.net mail and use Comcast as the new internet provider.
This keeps the existing email alive even though you now use Comcast.
Then you can get your own domain and introduce the new @mydomain.com while the old Verizon.net email is still active
and all your customers don't think you have died or moved to Mars. ;)
Put an out of office notice on the old Verizon.net address announcing your new address @mydomain.com, while forwarding the old address to the new @mydomain.com address.
You can let that be forever and eventually most of the people will have your new address the migrated address costs you nothing and you only have to look in the junk filter to se if any thing important was snagged.

lowfog01
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Mark II & Mark I
Coal Size/Type: nut/pea

Post by lowfog01 » Tue. Apr. 25, 2017 5:38 am

Hi guys, DK decided to go with getting our own domain with GoDaddy - Grantham.club but...

"All I did was register the name and did not obtain host services. We can host through them or someone else. I'll need to learn a little more about obtaining a host for emailing. I don't know if I who and what can use the host. Do I just pay for the service and email accounts are free, or is there a charge associated with each email (probably both). GoDaddy offers hosting services. Verizon recommended some that we could check out."

Can someone enlighten us about how these things usually work. Any pitfalls we should watch out for. Any tips that would make the service we end up with better. We appreciate any advice you could provide, thanks,

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Tue. Apr. 25, 2017 6:53 am

Lisa, you & DK need to stock up on stamps & envelopes!!! The times a comin when all that email server crap won't mean squat!! :lol:

Richard S.
Mayor

Post by Richard S. » Tue. Apr. 25, 2017 1:22 pm

Lisa I should have been more clear on this, you do not need to obtain hosting services. Domain registration and hosting services where you would have actual website with full email service are separate. The domain registration should only cost you $10 to $15 a year.

Companies that offer domain registration typically have options for email forwarding and some may offer email services.

First setup the AOL account with Verizon so your current email address remains active.

I don't know what Godaddy offers but look in the control panel, there is directions here for setting up forwarding and you forward it to the AOL account or some other account.

The point of this is the email account you create on Godaddy is the one you want to give people. If you lose the AOL account or decide you want to use some other service you only need to change where the email is forwarded to in the Godaddy control panel.

--------------------
Important note that I should of made earlier, the domain registration information like your address and phone number is available through whois. For a few extra bucks you can make that information private.

lowfog01

Post by lowfog01 » Tue. Apr. 25, 2017 6:33 pm

Hi guys,

Thanks for all your input and advice.

We now have a domain host through inmotion.com. They're based out of Virginia Beach and Denver, CO. Their east coast servers are in Washington, DC. Reportedly, their service is good.

We will have unlimited email, that can be accessible from our computers and phone (I don't know about a webmail type access. DK will have to research that more). We also have more services available, such as, we can have blogs and I believe data storage. Other than email, I'll need to look into all the other things we can do. For now, I'm satisfied with the email option. The cost is less than $5/month for this year. That's a discounted rate. I believe it goes up to just under $10/mo after 12 months, which is OK.

Here's the plan:
- we maintain access with Verizon as long as it's up and running. This will allow us to transition.

- inmotion is sending us all the information we need to set up our email accounts.

- DK will contact GoDaddy and have them point the domain name grantham.club to inmotion.

- with that done, we can complete setting up our email accounts.

- If we can set up an "out of office" type reply in Verizon, we'll do that. Worse case, we just start getting the word out. We'll have both accounts up and running, so they can be monitored.

As you can see it looks good on paper. We'll see how it actually works out. Thanks again, Lisa

CapeCoaler

Post by CapeCoaler » Tue. Apr. 25, 2017 9:18 pm

checkout Rackspace for email hosting...
https://www.rackspace.com/en-us/email-hosting/webmail
you can get an exchange account for $10/month if you want to upgrade...
Migrate to AOL first...
that way you keep your old Verizon address un till they kill off AOL too...
It takes about a year for to transition to a new email address as I have seen many times...
In a month if you do not migrate all the mail bounces back as undeliverable...
And then the phone calls start...
What happened to your email...
At about the 10th call you will wish you migrated the account to AOL...
Then all the random security questions and send a response to your email address to the forgot your password...
OOPs...
went to the now dead Verizon account...
Should have migrated to AOL...
Please do the migrate to AOL...
you will need it at some point, trust me...
The forwarding is painless and will save you misery at some point in the near future...

Richard S.
Mayor

Post by Richard S. » Wed. Apr. 26, 2017 2:45 am

lowfog01 wrote: The cost is less than $5/month for this year. That's a discounted rate. I believe it goes up to just under $10/mo after 12 months, which is OK.
That is what a full hosting package starts at for small website and email. I'd suggest looking around some more, you can find domain registrars that offer email service with the domain registration.

I use namecheap.com as registrar, the domain registration is about $10/year and if I wanted a single email account it's another $10/year. 10 email accounts can be added for $30/year.

Just a quick tip, suppose you decided you want to switch to namecheap.com as registrar. Domain registrars will give you credit for whatever you have left from other companies. If you paid for one year with Godaddy and switched it to namecheap you'll have to pay them for one year but the registration will be good for one year plus whatever time you had left on Godaddy account.
Here's the plan:
- we maintain access with Verizon as long as it's up and running. This will allow us to transition.
Lisa if set up the AOL account Verizon is offering you can forward that to your new email account.

Verizon will forward [email protected] to [email protected] >> AOL will forward [email protected] to [email protected]

CoalisCoolxWarm
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker KA-6
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: old Sears rebuilt, bituminous- offline as of winter 2014
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite Buckwheat
Other Heating: Oil Boiler

Post by CoalisCoolxWarm » Wed. Apr. 26, 2017 10:43 am

Privacy Advocates pay attention.

After email is stored for 6 months on a server, it no longer requires a WARRANT to law enforcement and other agencies to request it.

Yes, your Right to unlawful search and seizure has an expiration time: 6 months :(

Download all your emails.

lowfog01

Post by lowfog01 » Wed. Apr. 26, 2017 1:36 pm

CoalisCoolxWarm wrote:Privacy Advocates pay attention.

After email is stored for 6 months on a server, it no longer requires a WARRANT to law enforcement and other agencies to request it.

Yes, your Right to unlawful search and seizure has an expiration time: 6 months :(

Download all your emails.
Thanks, I never would have thought of that. Lisa

CapeCoaler

Post by CapeCoaler » Wed. Apr. 26, 2017 7:20 pm

If you have emails that the government wants to see...
They will be able to get at them...
Warrant or not...
6 months or not...
When the Cyber Security folks have you in their sights...
You are already done...
And they have no interest in FF or his sheep... ;)
If you want your email to be secure keep the PST file offline...
But they can intercept it while it travels the internet...
Assume nothing is secure...
Except a hand written note in disappearing ink... :stfu:

Return to “Technology”