Pictures of Your Stove

extreme915

Post by extreme915 » Tue. Mar. 25, 2008 9:04 pm

Here is a pic of my Keystoker Koker, I hooked it up today and I love it already.
koker.jpg
.JPG | 34KB | koker.jpg

coalkirk
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1981 EFM DF520 retired
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Jotul 507 on standby
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh anthracite/rice coal

Post by coalkirk » Tue. Mar. 25, 2008 9:36 pm

I'm curious why you didn't go with a boiler since I see you have hydronic heat?

extreme915

Post by extreme915 » Tue. Mar. 25, 2008 9:49 pm

Because I like hot air better ,and I got the direct vent. From the factory it has direct vent, And I only have one chimney. I was origionaly going with a boiler but I like the fact of to seporate sources of heat. Plus it was alot wasier to run a little duct work rather then plumb it pumps and stuff.

onehotxfirefighter

Post by onehotxfirefighter » Wed. Mar. 26, 2008 3:36 pm

This is my first posting on this forum , I am a coal burner living in Scotland and I use a British made Dunsley Yorkshire stove.
I burn all sorts of coal from bituminous to Petroleum coke.Here is my stove.I would love to here your experiences with burning Petroleum coke
Dunsley Yorkshire Stove .jpg
.JPG | 77.6KB | Dunsley Yorkshire Stove .jpg

Richard S.
Mayor
Stoker Coal Boiler: Van Wert VA1200
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat/Anthracite

Post by Richard S. » Wed. Mar. 26, 2008 3:45 pm

onehotxfirefighter wrote:This is my first posting on this forum , I am a coal burner living in Scotland
Welcome to the forum, I believe you may be the first non-North American member here. :D I think there was maybe one other few months back

europachris

Post by europachris » Wed. Mar. 26, 2008 4:34 pm

onehotxfirefighter wrote:This is my first posting on this forum , I am a coal burner living in Scotland and I use a British made Dunsley Yorkshire stove.
I burn all sorts of coal from bituminous to Petroleum coke.Here is my stove.I would love to here your experiences with burning Petroleum coke
Dunsley Yorkshire Stove .jpg
Welcome! I've been drooling over that Yorkshire stove since they first came out quite a few years ago, as I have access to plentiful bituminous coal for low cost here in Illinois. Nobody imports them to the USA, however, and with the current lousy dollar, the cost is quite high now.

How well does it work with the high volatile bituminous coals? Low smoke output?

Chris

onehotxfirefighter

Post by onehotxfirefighter » Wed. Mar. 26, 2008 9:00 pm

yorkshirechdia.jpg
.JPG | 47.2KB | yorkshirechdia.jpg
as you can see from the graphic the stove is a downburner it burns off the gases that would othewise produce pollution.It has over 12KW output and is just frugal when it comes to filling it up.I have burned everything in it from House coal to hardwood .It will burn petcoke without any problem which has an amazing heat output and almost no ash at all.A great Multifuel stove.It copes very well with the high volatile bituminous coal that is mined here in Scotland and will burn it with much less smoke that any other stove it's a pity that Dunsley don't export the stove it really is a cracker.
David
Loch Lomond
Scotland

leoncoal

Post by leoncoal » Wed. May. 28, 2008 3:44 am

Hi,

I'm excited to find this forum! I'm in South Africa, our climate is not extreme (especially near the coast where I am). Stoves are not that commonplace, and those with boiler coils etc are pretty scarce. Here is a picture of my Beckers 385. It was apparently a Dutch brand, but this one was manufactured in SA. I suspect it was made during the kitch 60s / 70s, but then I actually found the company and they are still making them! They sent me some spares and an owners manual. This unit is rated at 11kW . Basements are not common here and this is in my TV room. The question is not wether it makes enough heat - I can only use it in the air intake fully closed position. The problem is more how do I spread the heat evenly throughout the house. We don't have any ducting etc.
Also see my makeshift flue, it took me weeks to plan and carefully construct, since I only had a few asbestos gutter pipes that were replaced on my house to do it with. I wrapped it in aluminium just in case the pipes crack, so it would not fall apart, and also to look a bit nicer. The 4" (inch?) pipe's internal area is only about 60% of the recommended 5" flue, but I took a chance. It works perfectly (too well in fact, I can hardly set the stove cool enough).
Btw, I took this picture with flash and slow shutter, to be able to see both the stove and the hot coals. el cheapo consumer camera.

Regards
Leon

Attachments

Beckers 385.JPG

Beckers 385 burning

.JPG | 36.2KB | Beckers 385.JPG
DSCF2909.JPG

home made flue using old 4" asbestos gutter pipes

.JPG | 42KB | DSCF2909.JPG
DSCF2910.JPG

more of the flue

.JPG | 27.9KB | DSCF2910.JPG

coalkirk
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1981 EFM DF520 retired
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Jotul 507 on standby
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh anthracite/rice coal

Post by coalkirk » Wed. May. 28, 2008 8:30 am

Welcome Leon. I think you may be our first member from South Africa. What type of coal are you burning? Bituminous or anthracite? Also, what sort of outdoor temperatures do you experience there?

My father was an amatuer radio operator and he had a good friend he spoke with weekly in Capetowne. He sent me a book called "Jock of the Bushveld" which I understand is a classic childrens book in S. Africa kind of like Tom Sawyer here. Do you know of it?

leoncoal

Post by leoncoal » Wed. May. 28, 2008 8:44 am

Hi coalkirk,

I burn anthracite, but according to old-timers here what is termed as anthracite has been going down in quality over the years. I think I was complaining about the large amount of ash produced in that small ash pan. All the heaters I've seen have ashpans that look too small for the amount of ash. My Beckers has to be cleaned out twice a day if keeping it going all the time. I think I'm not allowed to burn coal in urban areas.
Our winters here go about 5egCelcius - 15DegC outside. Our houses are not well insulated either, mine has lots of window area, high ceilings, no ceiling insulation, lots of cracks at doors & windows.
I know the book but never read it. They also made a movie out of it.

Regards
Leon

Devil505

Post by Devil505 » Wed. May. 28, 2008 8:53 am

leoncoal wrote:The problem is more how do I spread the heat evenly throughout the house. We don't have any ducting etc.
Welcome to the forum. It looks like your stove radiates all it's heat from the top. Would it be possible to make a hood above the stove (or a powerful exhaust fan in the ceiling) that you could redirect the heated air to other parts of your house?

leoncoal

Post by leoncoal » Thu. May. 29, 2008 3:52 am

Hi All,

Here are some picture of my other stove, a Falkirk Union #6. These kinds of stoves are fairly "classic" in South Africa, and are commonly known as a "Dover stove". These pictures were taken before I installed it. It heated my living space in new house for about 2 winters, but because I see it as an heirloom I want to decommission it to the occasional stew or bread baking. These days I use the Beckers 385 (previous post), which is standing right next to it (not yet in these pictures). I keep them both primed so that in theory if I get home late one of them will always be ready to be lit, while the other might still have last night's ash in. The Union has a little oven (larger door on the right) and the fire happens in top left. The process of de-ashing and riddling is done manually with a poker tool. It doesn't really bother me as it will go the whole evening on a single load. I've baked marvelous bread and we make "potjie" on the cooking area (which is a type of slow cooked stew) - it can easily take 6 hours or more in my pot, which has only a small surface contact to the heat source.

The damper control you see above the stove door is kept open while lighting - then the smoke goes from the fire almost directly up the flue. Once the draft is strong you pull the lever out, which closes the damper. Now the exhaust is forced to go left front above the oven, down next to the oven on the right hand side, under the oven, where it can turn around towards the back half of the oven, go up again next to the right hand side of the oven (back part now). Here is meets the flue where the short-cut damper is now closed. This causes the whole stove to heat up nicely and the oven to reach usable temperatures.

Regards
Leon

Attachments

Falkirk Union 6 stoof  1.jpg
.JPG | 740.3KB | Falkirk Union 6 stoof 1.jpg
Falkirk Union 6 stoof  2.jpg
.JPG | 730.1KB | Falkirk Union 6 stoof 2.jpg
Falkirk Union 6 stoof  3.jpg
.JPG | 728.6KB | Falkirk Union 6 stoof 3.jpg

Freddy
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 130 (pea)
Coal Size/Type: Pea size, Superior, deep mined

Post by Freddy » Thu. May. 29, 2008 8:07 am

Leon, that Falkirk is a beauty! Thanks for showing us.

Inventive chimney! I trust you will check the horizontal runs for ash blockage as often as needed. I'd hate to see it get clogged and have carbon monoxide start coming into the living area. Do you have a CO detector? That's something that can be shipped from here if you do not have access to them....as long as you have 115 volt power.

leoncoal

Post by leoncoal » Thu. May. 29, 2008 9:17 am

Hi Freddy,

No I don't but reading this forum convinced me that I should find one. I don't know where though, I've never seen any of our fireplace shops stock any. I will contact my alarm company. We're 230Volts!
Some of these Falkirk stoves were enameled, but they are truly very scarce.

Regards
Leon

leoncoal

Post by leoncoal » Fri. May. 30, 2008 3:34 am

Hi,

Since I'm on a roll, here are some pictures of another space heating stove I have. I bought this a few years ago when a friend also bought one. Mine was meant for "my next house", but it turned out that the next house also didn't have an appropriate spot, and by then I had small children and the open ash bin seemed a little dangerous. The friend installed his in his 2 storey cottage against the slopes of Helderberg mountain, which get quite chilly in winter. At the time he had no 2nd story floor, no ceiling, no roof insulation, just a zinc roof. He mostly fires wood off-cuts instead of anthracite, but this stove made a big difference to that place.
It's called a Queen Anne, also made by Falkirk. Must be based on some Victorian style. The entire inside is basically the firebox, it contains thick cast "fire bricks" that takes the punch. Only control is the damper at the exhaust.
You load it by removing the top plates, and for refueling while burning those 2 little flower decorations are sliding doors through which you can add more anthracite.

Regards
Leon

Attachments

Queen Anne 1.jpg
.JPG | 215KB | Queen Anne 1.jpg
Queen Anne 5.jpg
.JPG | 361.8KB | Queen Anne 5.jpg
Queen Anne 2.jpg
.JPG | 218KB | Queen Anne 2.jpg
Queen Anne 4.jpg
.JPG | 261.3KB | Queen Anne 4.jpg

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”