How Long Before It Gets Warm?

joes716

Post by joes716 » Tue. Dec. 19, 2006 9:42 pm

I just set up my LeisureLine Pioneer LE about 3:30PM today and it still at 64 F. after almost 6 hrs of burning. Should it take this long or overnite to get warm to 70? I just replaced a chubby that heated the house up completely in a couple hours after firing it up. am I doing something wrong? My settings are
MiN 4
MAX 60
HLF 0
IGN N
FR +99

Any help would be apreciated.

Joe :?

Jerry & Karen

Post by Jerry & Karen » Tue. Dec. 19, 2006 10:23 pm

Hi Joe,
Sounds like everything is right. I can't answer your question when I don't know where in the house the stove is located, how many sq. ft., insulation, windows and how big the fire is burning. Maybe the coal your burning is a little soft. That means that you should turn the max up to 45 for starters. There are just tooooo many things that I don't know to give you an answer. If you would give me a call at our shop, I'll gladly help 570.752.1811. I'll need to know what temp the stove body is, use a magnet thermo. above the top door to get this reading.
Jerry

Jerry & Karen

Post by Jerry & Karen » Tue. Dec. 19, 2006 10:26 pm

Joe,
After I read your setting again, it appears that your max is set to high. We run our setting at 40. If your not getting a full grate of fire at 40, then turn it up 4 or 5 points at a time over a period of 8 -10 hrs.
Jerry

joes716

Post by joes716 » Tue. Dec. 19, 2006 11:40 pm

Jerry,
I have turned MIN back to 40 and have placed a metal thermometor. I will check it later on tonite, but it was already @ 250F+. The flame appears pretty high with a full bed of coals( not really sure what it should be).

The 1500 sq ft 3bed ranch is very well insulated with new siding and thermapane windows put in last year. The stove is centrally located in the basement with two 12x14" registers. I quess I am acustomed to the strong radient heat that the Chubby threw out vs the softer heat this one does.

Thanks for your support on his. This is one of the main reasons I chose LeisreLine. I saw you helping others in this forum and it made me more comfortable for a coal rookie like me.

Thanks!

Joe

Berlin

Post by Berlin » Wed. Dec. 20, 2006 4:28 am

did you install a baro, that will make a difference.

mjwood0

Post by mjwood0 » Wed. Dec. 20, 2006 6:17 am

Sorry to hear you're having problems.

Mine heated the house up pretty good in a few hours. But mine is on the first floor and not in the basement. The settings I have mine at are:

MIN = 7
MAX = 40

FR = Feed Rate - It will tell you what percent the stove is running at. The plus sign means that it's actively feeding coal. Mine runs about 10% during the day and about 40% at night now that it's getting cold.

The one thing I've noticed about the Econo that I have is that it doesn't radiate too much heat off the top of the stove. Instead, when it gets hot enough, it blows heat out the front. If the stove were in your basement, I could see how this might not work too well. The whole goal of these stoves seems to be to gently blow warm air and circulate it around the room -- great if your stove is in your living area, but I'm not sure what would happen in the basement with ceiling vents.

Hope you get it figured out! The support shown here by Jerry is great and makes me feel comfortable if I were to have a problem that it would get resolved quickly. The idea of installing a barometric damper if you haven't already is a good one. Perhaps too much of your heat is going out the chimney?

Good luck and stay warm!

joes716

Post by joes716 » Wed. Dec. 20, 2006 8:12 am

Berlin,
Yes, I installed the bio. It is opening about 3/4 - 1" periodically. The house is at 65 this morning( not ideal, yet). I changed the Max to 45 this morning per Jerry's request.

mjwood0,
I'm going to wait for Jerry's next suugestion before I change my MIN. I'd like to try one variable at time and monitor the result.

Joe

Jerry & Karen

Post by Jerry & Karen » Wed. Dec. 20, 2006 8:51 am

Joe,
In your reply you said that you turned your min back to 40. I hope you mean max. Turn up your max little at a time 2 or 3. NEVER drop hot coals off of the front of the grate. Always keep about 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 inches of dead ash on the front of the grate when the FR is at 99. The min and max are variables because of all the different hardness of coal. I have run into some coal (soft) that the max had to be at 55 to get a full fire. Others at 38. The feeder is only 1/2 of the workings. We supply the burn area and oxygen, you supply the fuel. It's like a race car motor, it sometimes needs fine tuning. If your basement is not insulated, your walls are at ground temp (58*). Now, your stove is at 300*. This will take some time to heat up the walls, but it will always be a great heat loss. If your home is 1500' you also need to take the basement into account. We can run temps of 450* or better on a Pioneer at 99%. Always take your reading in the front of the stove, right above the top door. Please keep me updated. I need to get back to work. My computer is at home and not at the shop, or I'd never get any work done. Good Luck
Jerry

mjwood0

Post by mjwood0 » Wed. Dec. 20, 2006 9:21 am

joes716 wrote: mjwood0,
I'm going to wait for Jerry's next suugestion before I change my MIN. I'd like to try one variable at time and monitor the result.
Good idea. I've been very hesitent to change much at all unless there's a need. Right now, it's keeping the first floor easily at 67* at night and 64* during the day -- right were I have it set. Good luck! I'm sure Jerry can get you straightened out.

joes716

Post by joes716 » Wed. Dec. 20, 2006 2:49 pm

Jerry,
It was very nice to talk to you this morning. That just reassured me that I made the right choice in the Pioneer LE and the right company. I feel confident I will tweak my stove to my environment and enjoy saving money while being toasty at home.

I will try and up my MAX 2-3 points as you suggested until I get the required temp. I will keep you posted on my results.

Thanks again,

Joe

Paul
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: alaska Channing
Coal Size/Type: rice
Other Heating: electric

Post by Paul » Wed. Dec. 20, 2006 4:28 pm

I used my stove in the basement for a number of years with no floor vents and 8 inches of insulation and sheet rock! The only place the heat could get upstairs was the stairway!!! Believe me when that concrete gets warm it'll heat your house like oil!! Remember you have 8 inches of concrete to warm, after that its "gravy"!!!!! This may take a few days. P.S. IF IT SNOWS< snowblow the snow againist the foundation., great insulation. Paul

joes716

Post by joes716 » Sun. Dec. 24, 2006 5:45 pm

Jerry,
We are toasty for Christmas! It feels great! Sorry I have not posted an update but the Holiday shopping took most of my time. And the stove is as publicized " set it and forget it". No more setting my schedule around taking care of the stove. It is awesome.
:) :)
Thanks again for your help.
Joe

Return to “Stoker Coal Furnaces & Stoves Using Anthracite (Hot Air)”